Error message on control panel

I have just had to upgrade from Windows ME > XP Home. Had a few problems
with virus and McAffee, all seems settled now, but getting this annoying
message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:

Only visible fault is when I go to click on CONTROL PANEL!!!

Get new window:

VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll

The specified resource language ID can not be found on the image file.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0902\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res00\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
found

Anyone know how I can cure this?

Thanks

"Avsmcpa.dll: The Specific Module Could Not Be Found"
Error Message When You Open Control Panel
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318012

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message:

|I have just had to upgrade from Windows ME > XP Home. Had a few problems
| with virus and McAffee, all seems settled now, but getting this annoying
| message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:
|
| Only visible fault is when I go to click on CONTROL PANEL!!!
|
| Get new window:
|
| VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll
|
| The specified resource language ID can not be found on the image file.
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0902\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res00\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
| found
|
| Anyone know how I can cure this?
|
| Thanks

Just did this, and found:

Avsmcpa.cpl.manifest C:\WINDOWS\System\
Avsmcpa.cpl.disabled C:\WINDOWS\System32\
Avsmcpa C:\WINDOWS\System32\

So, renamed the "Avsmcpa" (cpl file) at C:\WINDOWS\System to Avsmcpa.old and
restarted, same PROBLEM

Launched Control panel and still got same VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll message as
below.

Do the "manifest and disabled" files need changing?

Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Avsmcpa.dll: The Specific Module Could Not Be Found"
> Error Message When You Open Control Panel
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318012
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

---------------------

> "Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message:
>
> |I have just had to upgrade from Windows ME > XP Home. Had a few problems
> | with virus and McAffee, all seems settled now, but getting this annoying
> | message when I launch CONTROL PANEL:
> |
> | Only visible fault is when I go to click on CONTROL PANEL!!!
> |
> | Get new window:
> |
> | VIRUSSCAN: Avsmcpa.dll
> |
> | The specified resource language ID can not be found on the image file.
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0902\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0900\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res09\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0901\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res0000\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not
be
> | found
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Res00\Avsmcpa.dll : The specified module can not be
> | found
> |
> | Anyone know how I can cure this?
> |
> | Thanks

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cause Section
This behavior may occur if you have recently removed McAfee VirusScan software from your computer, and a Control Panel file specific to the VirusScan software (Avsmcpa.cpl) was not removed during the process.

NOTE : This behavior may also occur after you upgrade your computer from Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition to Windows XP.
Resolution Section
To resolve this issue, rename the Avsmcpa.cpl file. To do this, follow these steps:
Restart Windows in Safe mode. To do this, restart your computer, and then press F8 after the power-on self test (POST). On a computer that is configured to start to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when you see the Startup menu.

When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select an option, and then press ENTER.

When the Startup menu appears again (with the words "Safe Mode" displayed in blue at the bottom), select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.
Click Start , point to Search , and then click For Files or Folders.
In the Search Companion pane, click All files and folders.
In the All or part of the file name box, type avsmcpa.cpl .
Click More Advanced Options , and then click to select the following check boxes:
Search system folders
Search hidden files and folders
Search Subfolders

Click Search .
When you have located the Avsmcpa.cpl file, right-click the file, and then click Rename .
Type avsmcpa.old to rename the file, and then press ENTER .
Close the Search Results dialog box.
Restart Windows in normal mode.
NOTE : If you reinstall or upgrade VirusScan, this also resolves this issue.