Registering Software

A few weeks ago we got a new computer with Windows XP Professional and
Office 2003. How can I check to make sure we have registered the software? I
made a note that I did activate it. I want to be sure we are all registered
so we get updates, etc.

Thank you
Judith

Judith Gibson said in news:paBGc.8721$285.7909@bignews6.bellsouth.net:
> A few weeks ago we got a new computer with Windows XP Professional and
> Office 2003. How can I check to make sure we have registered the
> software? I made a note that I did activate it. I want to be sure we
> are all registered so we get updates, etc.
>
> Thank you
> Judith

Only activation is required. That allows your product to run past the
trial period. Registration is optional. It has you divulging your
personal info to Microsoft. You do NOT need to register to get updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307890
"Product activation is different from product registration because
activation is required and registration is optional. If you want to
register Windows XP by providing your name, e-mail address, and other
contact information, you can also choose to receive information about
product updates and other special offers."

If you register, supposedly Microsoft will add you to their mailing
list(s)? You want that? Also, anything they send you via e-mail
regarding updates will be several days, or longer, after the update is
already available. Just leave Windows Update configured to poll for
updates.

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

"Judith Gibson" <gibbyose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A few weeks ago we got a new computer with Windows XP Professional and
> Office 2003. How can I check to make sure we have registered the software?
> made a note that I did activate it. I want to be sure we are all
registered
> so we get updates, etc.
>
> Thank you
> Judith
>
> --

As has been pointed out, you do not need to register to obtain updates.
For Office 2003, open any application and go to Help, Get Updates. Or, go
directly to this site:

http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx

For Windows XP updates just go to Windows Updates from Start, All Programs
or from the link in Internet Explorer.

Don

Thank you all, you have been most helpful.

Judith

Greetings,

Microsoft Windows XP should be already registered sincce it was preinstalled
into your system. As for Microsoft Office 2003 try checking the "help file"
in Office 2003 or try asking in the Office newsgroups....

Thanks and best of luck!

Jose Francisco
Owner of BetaConnect - Providing you a new way in technology
Still got problems? Email me!
chicofar at onvol dot com

"Judith Gibson" <gibbyose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A few weeks ago we got a new computer with Windows XP Professional and
> Office 2003. How can I check to make sure we have registered the software?
> made a note that I did activate it. I want to be sure we are all
registered
> so we get updates, etc.
>
> Thank you
> Judith

Nicely delivered :)

"*Vanguard*" <reply-to-newsgroup@do-not-email.invalid> wrote in message
> Judith Gibson said in news:paBGc.8721$285.7909@bignews6.bellsouth.net:
> > A few weeks ago we got a new computer with Windows XP Professional and
> > Office 2003. How can I check to make sure we have registered the
> > software? I made a note that I did activate it. I want to be sure we
> > are all registered so we get updates, etc.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Judith
>
> Only activation is required. That allows your product to run past the
> trial period. Registration is optional. It has you divulging your
> personal info to Microsoft. You do NOT need to register to get updates.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307890
> "Product activation is different from product registration because
> activation is required and registration is optional. If you want to
> register Windows XP by providing your name, e-mail address, and other
> contact information, you can also choose to receive information about
> product updates and other special offers."
>
> If you register, supposedly Microsoft will add you to their mailing
> list(s)? You want that? Also, anything they send you via e-mail
> regarding updates will be several days, or longer, after the update is
> already available. Just leave Windows Update configured to poll for
> updates.

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

TRENDING THREADS