Socketing Griswold Set

Trying to decide what to socket a Gris set with. My pally is maxed in zeal,
sacrifice, holy shield, fanat, and I'm now working on redemption. I've got
goreriders, verdungo belt, dracul gloves, 3+combat skills ammy, ravenfrost
and bk ring. I thought I'd use a highlords ammy as soon as I could find a
trade. I think a given here might be to socket the shield with p-diamonds
but am unsure of what runes or gems to use on the helmet, armor and weapon.
As alway any help is welcome.

Thanks Guys!

"MIS" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Trying to decide what to socket a Gris set with. My pally is maxed in
zeal,
> sacrifice, holy shield, fanat, and I'm now working on redemption. I've got
> goreriders, verdungo belt, dracul gloves, 3+combat skills ammy, ravenfrost
> and bk ring. I thought I'd use a highlords ammy as soon as I could find a
> trade. I think a given here might be to socket the shield with p-diamonds

Keep in mind, the full set alone gives 100 resist all(50 set bonus, 45 on
shield, 5 on helm), if you've done all three Anya quests that's 130. So you
only need 45 resists to max out in hell, assuming you don't have any resist
charms or an Anni...if you have resist charms or an Anni, you might not need
to use all 3 shield sockets for diamonds. In fact, Um x2 would get you to 74
resist all with no other resistance gear, and would leave a shield socket
open.

> but am unsure of what runes or gems to use on the helmet, armor and
weapon.
> As alway any help is welcome.

How much you willing to spend on the socketing is a big question. I know one
guy who had limitless resources, and this was his setup, which he swears
kicks all kinds of ass:
Helm:Ber+Cham(freeing up Ravenfrost slot for a dual leech rare ring)
Armor:Ber+Ber+Shael
Weapon:Lo+Ber+Ber+40/15 max jewel
Shield:p Diamond x2+Ber

His other gear was:
Highlords, Gore Riders, 15 DR Verdungo's, Drac's, BK Ring, rare dual
leech/stats/resists ring.

Looking at that setup he had:
4 frame zeal(Griz weapon needs 10 extra IAS to hit 4 frames, Highlords
provides it)
55% CB
~70% DS(varied based on clvl)
35% OW
5% chance of lifetap
50% FHR(hitting the second to last breakpoint at 48%)
CBF
47% DR
at least 20% life leech(10% on Dracs, 5% on BK, and 5-6% on the rare ring)
5-6% mana leech(one leech was 5%, one was 6%, forget which was which)
over 75% resist all in hell(all 3 Anya quests done, 18 resist Anni)
+7 all skills

So it looks like it would be effective, albeit insanely expensive...

> Thanks Guys!

> Looking at that setup he had:
> 4 frame zeal(Griz weapon needs 10 extra IAS to hit 4 frames, Highlords
> provides it)
> 55% CB
> ~70% DS(varied based on clvl)
> 35% OW
> 5% chance of lifetap
> 50% FHR(hitting the second to last breakpoint at 48%)
> CBF
> 47% DR
> at least 20% life leech(10% on Dracs, 5% on BK, and 5-6% on the rare ring)
> 5-6% mana leech(one leech was 5%, one was 6%, forget which was which)
> over 75% resist all in hell(all 3 Anya quests done, 18 resist Anni)
> +7 all skills

Well we're there, the pally does quite well although he can be killed when
getting a bad tp into a pile of doom knights in the throne room.

On another note, I generally do alot of mf/trading and runes seem like a
good currency to me as you can get almost any items you need if you've got a
nice collection of runes. So I created another mule for the high runes I
have and joined the game mule parking to burn in the mule and left it in
overnight. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is there must be a ton of
dupes out there as I lost a few on that mule while it sat in that game, I
kinda wondered why I was getting some pretty damn good trades:)

> > Looking at that setup he had:
> > 4 frame zeal(Griz weapon needs 10 extra IAS to hit 4 frames, Highlords
> > provides it)
> > 55% CB
> > ~70% DS(varied based on clvl)
> > 35% OW
> > 5% chance of lifetap
> > 50% FHR(hitting the second to last breakpoint at 48%)
> > CBF
> > 47% DR
> > at least 20% life leech(10% on Dracs, 5% on BK, and 5-6% on the rare
ring)
> > 5-6% mana leech(one leech was 5%, one was 6%, forget which was which)
> > over 75% resist all in hell(all 3 Anya quests done, 18 resist Anni)
> > +7 all skills
>
> Well we're there, the pally does quite well although he can be killed when
> getting a bad tp into a pile of doom knights in the throne room.

And there's always IM to worry about too.

> On another note, I generally do alot of mf/trading and runes seem like a
> good currency to me as you can get almost any items you need if you've got
> nice collection of runes.

True, but a lot of people don't have that big a rune collection...

> So I created another mule for the high runes I
> have and joined the game mule parking to burn in the mule and left it in
> overnight. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is there must be a ton of
> dupes out there as I lost a few on that mule while it sat in that game, I
> kinda wondered why I was getting some pretty damn good trades:)

Taking a mule with multiple high runes into a game with other people is
fairly risky...with the passive rust storm(ie, the normal kind), you'll only
lose your runes if a)someone joins the game you're in who has the same duped
item, and b)if that person leaves the game before you do.

>> > Looking at that setup he had:
>> > 4 frame zeal(Griz weapon needs 10 extra IAS to hit 4 frames, Highlords
>> > provides it)
>> > 55% CB
>> > ~70% DS(varied based on clvl)
>> > 35% OW
>> > 5% chance of lifetap
>> > 50% FHR(hitting the second to last breakpoint at 48%)
>> > CBF
>> > 47% DR
>> > at least 20% life leech(10% on Dracs, 5% on BK, and 5-6% on the rare
> ring)
>> > 5-6% mana leech(one leech was 5%, one was 6%, forget which was which)
>> > over 75% resist all in hell(all 3 Anya quests done, 18 resist Anni)
>> > +7 all skills
>>
>> Well we're there, the pally does quite well although he can be killed
>> when
>> getting a bad tp into a pile of doom knights in the throne room.
>
> And there's always IM to worry about too.

I don't remember what IM is unless it's a magical hit?

Do you think I could do better with different equipment on this zealot
instead of the griz set?

> I don't remember what IM is unless it's a magical hit?

Iron Maiden.

> Do you think I could do better with different equipment on this zealot
> instead of the griz set?

I think for PvM play, this is my "ideal" NL zealot setup:
Crown of Ages-Cham+Ber
Duress archon plate
eth Zod Stormlash
Um'ed HoZ
Dracul's
Gore Riders
Verdungo's
Highlord's Wrath
2x rare rings with dual leech/stats/resists
Anni
Rest of charms made up of max/ar/life or elemental damage charms and either
2 small charms with 5% FHR or 1 gc with 12% FHR.

If all gear is "perfect" and all Anya quests done that setup gives high
damage(including a fair amount of elemental) and defense plus:
4 frame zeal
63% CB
~50% DS
68% OW
15% static field
5% lifetap
38% DR
90-102% FHR(hits last breakpoint at 86%)
CBF
10% lifeleech+whatever you get from your rings(as long as you get 4-6% mana
leech your needs are covered)
81% light resist
97% cold resist
67% fire/poison resist(get at least 8% resist all from ring slots to make it
up)
+5 all skills/+7 combat

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a

<http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-curses.shtml#ironmaiden>
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

> Iron Maiden.

Heh....didn't take long to forget that one, too many of those at once are
too much to handle. I will say this one does well running the gauntlett to
the throne room, although I do have a crowd behind me:))

> I think for PvM play, this is my "ideal" NL zealot setup:

I think I'll try that, I know this pally should do more for what he is, I'm
gonna have to get the sorc out of retirement and get some tradin material
though.

Had a smart ass in a some baal runs dissin me about the griz and the runes,
then he's dissin a skellymancer about his summons, I left the game and got
my skellymancer and caught up with them in the next game and brought over 50
skellies and revives into the game, needless to say his mouth was really
runnin:)) Then came the big duel as a result, did just like you said, tp'd
on his sorry ass, took a bit for the skellies to spread out a bit as I
watched him taking his final breath, neat! I don't know what kind of a barb
he was as I've never built one. I've always been considerate when using this
character in baal runs as he does slow things down but when some big mouth
gets in the game I find it hard not to load it right up with everything I've
got. It get's even worse if you kill baal, baal's gonna die that's for sure
but man it takes a long long long long time:) That really "rubs" them:))

> I don't know what kind of a barb
> he was as I've never built one.

But he got his ass kicked, hahaha. If you really wanna make a barb made,
cast IM on him...he can't ww you without hitting summons and dying, hehehe.

>> I don't know what kind of a barb
>> he was as I've never built one.
>
> But he got his ass kicked, hahaha. If you really wanna make a barb made,
> cast IM on him...he can't ww you without hitting summons and dying,
> hehehe.

This necro is about to lvl up and hasn't got much besides summoning, some
points in bone spear and fire wall via item, I debated on iron maiden and
attract, I think I'll just drop that point in iron maiden. Fire wall does
more than bone spear but it still takes a while to get the job done, I
probably shouldn't have put so much in revives. The only thing that gives
this necro has to be really cautious about are souls.

As it stands now I've got a 90 fire sorc, 90 bone necro, 90 hammerdin, 90
wind druid, my 89 zealot and 89 skellymancer should both go 90 this weekend,
90 is a plateau for me as it's such a long grind from 90 on up. I was
debating on creating a cold sorc or a necro proficient in spells, what are
your thoughts on a spell necro?

> This necro is about to lvl up and hasn't got much besides summoning, some
> points in bone spear and fire wall via item, I debated on iron maiden and
> attract, I think I'll just drop that point in iron maiden.

Do you have Decrep? If so, you should already have a point in IM, it's a
pre-req.

> Fire wall does more than bone spear but it still takes a while to get the
job done,

Yeah, summons are usually quicker.

> 90 is a plateau for me as it's such a long grind from 90 on up.

Indeed, I only have 1 post-1.10 char over 90.

> I was debating on creating a cold sorc or a necro proficient in spells,
what are
> your thoughts on a spell necro?

A bone necro can be very powerful, especially with strategic use of curses
and bonewall.

>> This necro is about to lvl up and hasn't got much besides summoning, some
>> points in bone spear and fire wall via item, I debated on iron maiden and
>> attract, I think I'll just drop that point in iron maiden.
>
> Do you have Decrep? If so, you should already have a point in IM, it's a
> pre-req.

I checked today and have nothing at all in curses, in fact I leveled the
skellymancer and zealot to 90 today. So now I have a point saved on the
necro know I need one more just to get something in Iron Maiden, what a
bummer, getting another level on this one will be a long haul.

>> Fire wall does more than bone spear but it still takes a while to get the
> job done,
>
> Yeah, summons are usually quicker.
>
>> 90 is a plateau for me as it's such a long grind from 90 on up.
>
> Indeed, I only have 1 post-1.10 char over 90.
>
>> I was debating on creating a cold sorc or a necro proficient in spells,
> what are
>> your thoughts on a spell necro?
>
> A bone necro can be very powerful, especially with strategic use of curses
> and bonewall.

Did that, I should have said curses instead of spells, a 90 bone necro, no
curses. He was having trouble keeping a decent pulse rate so I had to put
some points in bone armor. Bone wall is his primary defense if needed
although it becomes a pain in the ass at times. When in a party I have to
use bone wall selectively so I don't create a defensive mess and slow the
game down, people bitch too much. Although I'll say they're pretty quiet
when their sorry asses are about to be bombarded with an army of minions and
they see that bone wall materialize in front of them oh they just love me
then and the mess I make:)). Some parties just seem to have a good mix
where all the minions just lay down in front of them and then you get in a
party where you'd swear you were in there with a bunch of lvl 30's in hell
difficulty, I know you've been there. I couldn't tell you how many times
I've tp'd into the throne room and gone for the biggest pack of those bad
boys being a zealot and find myself like the Lone Ranger getting ready to go
down in a Blaze of Glory like a double dead meat loser:) You don't dare
break off the engagement because you need that leech to stay alive, the
minute you try to run all you're seeing is St. Peter standing there with all
your dead relatives calling you a loser! What I really like is when the
party is arguing about who should run the gauntlet to the throne room, then
a couple people drop out so I decide to run it and have no teleport
capabilities, make it to the throne room, throw the tp, and find there's
nobody left in the game but me:)) I guess they're too lame to pull up the
party screen and monitor what's going on.

I started a cold sorc this afternoon, had a 94 cold sorc that went
non-ladder, it didn't have much for an alternative to blizzard and orb, this
one I'll be a little more careful with, got a bunch of tal stuff and it'll
be a good place for it.

I sure would like to see a Diablo III.

> I checked today and have nothing at all in curses,

Damn, Amp Damage is a MUST HAVE for a summoner and Decrep is highly desired,
and you don't have either? Wow.

> Damn, Amp Damage is a MUST HAVE for a summoner and Decrep is highly
> desired,
> and you don't have either? Wow.

Wish you wouldn't have said that, that would certainly speed up the game,
now I'll probably build another necro:)) Actually he does quite well, I
keep him well out of the frey when things get hot, souls are the only thing
I have to be cautious about. The revives are a big help as I keep pumping
them up on the front line needed or not, the only real drain on mana is when
I begin the game and then I still almost never have to use any potions.

Have you ever played "Neverwinter Nights", a no subscription online game?

> Have you ever played "Neverwinter Nights", a no subscription online game?

Nope, never have.

>> Have you ever played "Neverwinter Nights", a no subscription online game?
>
> Nope, never have.

I was talking to couple gamers the other day when at Best Buy and asked
them what they thought was the best non-subscription online game out there
and they went hands-down on Neverwinter Nights. I bought it and it seems
much like D2 but with even more. Heavy on graphics and takes some getting
used to, looks like a neat game but not as easy to run as D2 at the stage
I'm at now.

> I was talking to couple gamers the other day when at Best Buy and asked
> them what they thought was the best non-subscription online game out there
> and they went hands-down on Neverwinter Nights. I bought it and it seems
> much like D2 but with even more. Heavy on graphics and takes some getting
> used to, looks like a neat game but not as easy to run as D2 at the stage
> I'm at now.

Yeah, Tresa's real big on it too, still haven't played it myself though...