IE tempfile cleanup

I've recently switched from W98 to XP and would like some advice on how to manage the tempfiles IE creates. Under W98 I used to manually delete the folders by booting to DOS ... then the next time I'd boot into W98 new folders and a fresh INDEX.DAT file would be created.

What capabilities does XP have and what are the recommended steps for keeping my system clean?

what i do is click Tools button at top of page>internet options>clear history>yes....then Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

"James P" wrote:

> I've recently switched from W98 to XP and would like some advice on how to manage the tempfiles IE creates. Under W98 I used to manually delete the folders by booting to DOS ... then the next time I'd boot into W98 new folders and a fresh INDEX.DAT file would be created.
>
> What capabilities does XP have and what are the recommended steps for keeping my system clean?

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Windows XP does not support the Deltree commands anymore that *I* know of.
But I was told that you could delete the Content IE5 file by logging in as
another adminstrative account and deleting the IE5 in other account. I had
a virus enbedded in this file and this was the only way I found to get rid
of it.