What is the biggest difference between XP Pro & XP MediaCe..

Just wondering which is the better choice for an all around machine
that is also used for capturig & encoding movies/dvd's. I'm using Pro
but I notice some things act a little slowly that didn't under 98.

Kleptic

Windows Media Center Edition is a superset of Windows XP Pro
and is only available preinstalled on a new PC whose hardware
meets the criteria for running it.

Windows Media Center Edition FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"ThatOtherMonkey" <Kleptic@large.com> wrote in message:

| Just wondering which is the better choice for an all around machine
| that is also used for capturig & encoding movies/dvd's. I'm using Pro
| but I notice some things act a little slowly that didn't under 98.
|

| Kleptic

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:14:26 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>Windows Media Center Edition is a superset of Windows XP Pro
>and is only available preinstalled on a new PC whose hardware
>meets the criteria for running it.
>
>Windows Media Center Edition FAQ
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

Gee,you almost answered my question. And no thanks for that link,its
just a commercial parading around as a FAQ. Please people if you can't
answer the question,don't even bother you're not helping.

Kleptic

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:14:26 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Windows Media Center Edition is a superset of Windows XP Pro
> >and is only available preinstalled on a new PC whose hardware
> >meets the criteria for running it.
> >
> >Windows Media Center Edition FAQ
> >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx
>

> Gee,you almost answered my question. And no thanks for that link,its
> just a commercial parading around as a FAQ. Please people if you can't
> answer the question,don't even bother you're not helping.
>

> Kleptic

Carey's answer should was absolutely accurate.
Windows XP Media Center Edition IS a superset of Window XP Professional. In
other words it IS Windows XP Professional with an additional application
(Media Center) installed and available for use.

So to answer your question - as Carey stated Media Center Edition is only
available pre installed on a PC from an OEM. Therefore if you wish to build
a PC for your capture and encoding work that meets your own personal
specification then Media Center is a not suitable for you.
However the underlying operating system is identical in both cases it is
Windows XP Professional.

You could have actually picked all of this up from the link and the parent
Media Center Edition site Carey provided

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Papa said in news:emZE$0DZEHA.2576@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
> You were given good information. Why the insulting sarcasm?

He didn't want just a link that provided the information for HIM to have to then read and investigate further. He wanted to be lead by the hand. He wanted duplicate info presented in a reply post. He not only wanted you to recommend the best adult diaper but he wanted you to wipe his butt and put it on for him, too. He is too lazy to do his own research.

papa

Yeah, I figured as much.