Home Networking Problem

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey!

I have a small home network with 2 computers. I also have cable internet. The cable is not hooked up to either computer, but rather is hooked up into the uplink port on the hub I am using. Both computers have unique IP's.

Up until last week, the only type of network capability I wanted was internet sharing. One computer was a PC and the other was an iMac. Both could access the net just fine. I have built a new PC to replace the iMac. If I just substitute the computers, the new PC has internet accesss. However, now that I have 2 computers with the same platform, I want to be able to do more with the network, namely file and printer sharing.

I tried using the windows XP home network setup wizard, but I can't get the two computers to talk to each other. If I use a crosswire cable between the 2 computers and run the wizard for a network without internet access, it works. Obviously this is not acceptable either.

How can I get it so both computers can access each other as well as the internet? I do not want to have 1 computer on all the time, and have the other access the net through it. Could it be a hub issue? it is a really cheap one. HELP!

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

Have you made sure that both units have the same workgroup name?

Have you enabled TCP/IP on both?

You'll need to configure file & print sharing for each.

To test a good connection, try pinging each unit from the other. If that's fine, it's the software config.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They have the same workgroup name, TCP/IP is there, as well as file and printer sharing, client for microsoft networks. I can pin the other computer but they both have IP's relative to the net, so when I ping one, it goes out through the internet connection, out to the first router and sends it back to the other computer. I don't think that is really usefull, as we already know that both can access the net. The time it took to ping was arounf 60 ms which is the same it takes to ping my friends on the same isp. Shouldn't a lan ping be much much much smaller? like around 1-5 ms range? Anymore thoughts?

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

Hang on a second.

Your NICs are connected to the net, but you're not operating them on a router/switch/hub?

Usually you either do a direct crossover connection, or you use a router/switch/hub setup.

Right I've re-read your first post.

Option 1. Setup a router.

Option 2. Have additional NICs and connect them directly.

I do suggest the router option. Preferably with a firewall.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>