Sign in with
Your question

suggestions for the clueless

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2002 7:14:53 PM

hi, im brand new to the boards here so this problem might seem a bit stupid.

im in the process of building a system for myself for college. this is the first time im actually building it myself with the help of a friend of mine (my present pc is a Dell). ive decided to go the route of a Pentium 4 2.26 Ghz. im trying to decide on a motherboard right now. i had originally decided to go with the Shuttle AS45GT (SiS648) but with the chance that wont be out before i leave for college i think i am going to go with the Gigabyte GA-8IGXP.

Now this is the part which i dont know anything about. The P4 talks about 533mhz FSB (?) and i dont think the GA-8IGXP has a 533mhz, will they still work together? if not, any recommendations for a feature-rich board, im not too worried about OC-ing yet as i have no experience with that. Is switching motherboards any easy process or a real pain in the ass, i wonder because i could use the Gigabyte board until Shuttle's AS45 comes out, or would that be a stupid move and i should just stick with the GA-8IGXP?

any and all help is greatly appreciated. apologies for any typos and/or confusing sentences.

More about : suggestions clueless

August 11, 2002 9:21:55 PM

Hi,
I'm not too familiar with the Shuttle board, but I can tell you that the Gigabyte GA-8IGXP DOES support the 533MHz front side bus. It looks like a great board with a great feature set, however, you may have the same problem finding one. So far, no one seems to be selling it. If you search through these postings for "ga-8igxp" you'll find a lot of people looking for this board without success. If you have any better luck, let us all know:) 

Kill a man, you're a murderer. Kill ten thousand, you're a statesman.
August 11, 2002 11:12:48 PM

You should check out the 8IEXP made by Gigabyte. It is the same board, but it doesn't have the graphics chip. If you are thinking of doing any gaming along with using this comp as a school computer you shouldn't use the intel integrated graphics. If you are not a gamer, it would be a good solution. If you do not want to use RAID, you should look at the Gigabyte 8IGX. I believe that this board is exactly the same as your selected board, it just doesn't have RAID. If you don't get a board with integrated graphics some cheap video cards that support directX 8 (This means that they will perform more adequately with games and video or 3D related software) are the ATI Radeon 8500 LE with 64 MB memory or 128MB memory.

ATI Radeon 8500LE 64MB - $87.00
ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB - $109.00
<i>Prices taken from www.newegg.com&lt;/i>

A good board that is out now at newegg is the Abit SR7-8X. This board uses the SiS 648 chipset and is a great board. Here are some specs of the board:

ABIT Model SR7-8X, SIS648 Based socket 478 Pentium® 4 ATX Mainboard, 8X AGP SoftMenu™ Technology Retail
Specifications:
Supported CPU:p entium 4 Socket 478 processors
Chipset:SiS 648 / 963
FSB:400/533 MHz
RAM:Three 184-pin DIMM sockets 3 DIMM DDR 200/266(Max. 3GB) 2 DIMM DDR 333 (Max. 2GB)
IDE:2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 Connectors up to 4 Devices
Slots:1 AGP slot, 5 PCI slots
Ports:1xCOM,1xLPT,2xPS-2,2xUSB,1xLAN, and Audio Ports
Onboard LAN: RTL8100B 10/100M
Onboard Audio:2-Channel. AC 97 CODEC on board

Just in case you are interested Asus is coming out with the P4S-8X and Soyo is coming out with the P4S-648 Dragon Ultra. Both of these boards use the SiS 648 chipset. They should be out by next month.

One more note, your processor and its bigger brother the 2.4b will both cost $193.00 USD after Sept 1st. Intel is making huge price cuts to pave the way for its new processor. I just don't want to see you drop almost $280.00 for your processor when you can save almost $100.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BigBiggist on 08/11/02 07:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
August 12, 2002 4:38:33 AM

you say the 8IEXP is the same exact board but without the onboard graphics? because i had no intention to use it and was planning on getting the nvidia ti4600 or waiting for the radeon 9700 i might order that board. tomorrow after work ill look into the boards you mentioned more. unfortunately id like to have the pc up and running before i move into my dorm sept 1st. and even mroe unfortunate i already rodered the p4 2.26 ghz today for $235, eh well.

thanks for the help, any more advice/guidance would be appreciated.

p.s. know where i can find reviews of the boards mentioned, or are they all on tomshardware?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frailimbnursry on 08/12/02 00:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 12, 2002 12:40:21 PM

Hmmm..... The GA-8IEXP is the same except it doesn't have the graphics and not as many RAM ratios.

You should probably go to neoseeker.com and then go through the links to get to mainboard reviews. THere's a list of basically every review of every mobo.

BTW, $235 for a 2.26B eh? Seems like prices are dropping already.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
!