Project90

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but here it goes.

I recently bought a new computer (4 days ago) which is a Gateway GM5048B with 2.4GHz AMD 64 Dual Core 4600+ Processor, 2GB RAM, 256MB nVIDIA 7600 GS ect. I had Steam and Counter Strike: Source installed onto my old computer. When I tried to install Steam on to my shiny new machine it came up with the oh so time consuming steam update but it didn't do anything. While it was "updating", all of my connections coming in and out of my computer seemed to be blocked... :( I'm not sure if this has something to do with my McAfee Security Center but any help would be greatly appreciated.

(PS. Sorry for the lengthy story :) )

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Norton sucks so much that it uses a straw to get at your anus juices, but did the guy not say McAfee. But in all honestly I don’t like using any AV software or firewall software for that matter, I have a hardware one for that. If you use crap like that on your system you need to expect things are not going to work and that your PC will slow down at up to 2000% of the normal system running speed on some tasks.

But anyway ditch all the security software and see if it will update then, if it does then you have found your problem. If it does not then you will need to look in to that problem further. If you only got the system a little while ago I guess it is not too late to do a system recovery install of XP if you don’t know too much about computers.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Sounds like a firewall problem, although "all connections" is a little non-descriptive. (Is it just all Steam communications? Does your browser still connect?) If it's just Steam, make sure that the Steam exe file is allowed full internet access in your firewall settings.

If everything is blocked, it sounds like a router problem. Maybe it's having problems directing your net traffic when prioritizing downloads. Do you have any other computers? Are they having problems as well?