GA-8IEXP RAID problems

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Anyone got this mobo with the RAID function running ? I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'm having a tough time getting XP to load. I've downloaded drivers etc. etc. but can't get past the intial XP setup screen. Help plz ...

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Any error messages?
Anyway please check the following again:
1. IDE3/4 in BIOS has been set to function as RAID instead of the default ATA133.
2. RAID array has been created and is functioning.
3. If you load XP from CD-ROM, make sure you have a floppy disk that contains all the required RAID driver files in the correct directory.

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
The only error messages are that the drivers cannot be found. This occurs during XP setup (press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers etc.) No floppy came with the mobo, so I took the drivers from the CD (luckily I have more than one PC :) and put them on a floppy. When this didn't work, I grabbed the latest drivers from Giga's website and tried again. Still no joy. I've tried all the permutations I can think of with regard to putting these drivers on the floppy (various directories, including the root directory and a copy of the directory where everything was found on the CD). I can't say I'm too impressed with the manual that comes with this mobo, and the online support at Giga's website is equally lacking in information (not even a mention of the required floppy).

I know the HDD's are good. They are both WD60GB and brand new. I loaded XP on each in a regular IDE setup on this mobo without any problems. I just loaded WinME on there, utilising RAID1 without any problems. The plan now is to see if I can install XP over ME and retain all the RAID settings (it's just a basic OS install but with all the essential drivers loaded and no apps or games).

Mainly, I was curious to see if anyone else was having similar problems.

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
If I remember correctly, there is mention of these sorts of problems in the Promise web site, but nothing is mentioned on the Gigabyte site.
I think the raid array must have an asterix next to it before the setup can work, and if not there then press space bar before proceeding. This is sketchy, but I had the same problem trying to do a clean install and format using Win2K, gave up in the end, then later found some info at Promise. Good luck.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
If the error message is drivers not found, then most probably the driver files on your floppy are not in order (re my item no.3 above). Make sure you copy only the required files from mobo CD to the following paths of floppy:

A:\FASTTRAK
A:\TXTSETUP.OEM
A:\WINXP\FASTTRAK.SYS
A:\WINXP\FASTTRAK.INF

The user manual doesn't mention anything about this, but you can find the info from the readme file on the mobo CD.

CHASHEM

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I have your problem fixed. It was mine also (same mobo).
Here we go: On the CD go the dir. other/Promise/IdeRaid/20276/driver. Now copy the winxp folder to a floppy. Then copy the four files in the
driver dir. fasttrak, readme.txt, setup.txt, Txtsetup.oem
to the same floppy. Now you should have a floppy with the
winxp folder and its contents along with the four files outside the winxp folder. In the BIOS set it to boot to RAID/SCSI, have your 2 drives conected to each of the RAID ports (green). Have your cdrom conected to IDE1 and disable IDE2. Make sure you set up your array first. If your not sure then delete your array and set it up again.
First boot order should be cdrom.
Have the diskette in drive-A when booting. When asked, Press F6, then when asked press S. Choose MBfasttrak133.
BAMM BAMM you will be on your way to loading WINXP

PS. When this works for you or anyone else who uses it, please let me know at charleshashem@hotmail.com
GOOD LUCK!!