  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 6:58:20 PM

I have a netgear MR314 router that is not communicating with my
wireless card, a netgear MA401. I have disabled WEP, access filter,
and used the default configuration on both the router & card. But
still no connection. After working through the windows
troubleshooter, the event viewer is indicating that the DHCP server is
not assigning an address to the wireless computer. The router worked
flawlessly for a year & a half, and suddenly stopped. I have not
changed the configuration or firmware, of the card or router, for over
a year. What can I do?

One observation: If I change the card's network mode, from
infrastructure to ad-hoc, the radio icon in the system tray turns
green, from red, but I am still not able to ping the router.

Thanks for the help.

PS: Netgear support was useless, & based on their response I would not
recommend their products, unless you consider them disposable. The
router is under warranty, but I would have to pay more to get service,
initially, than the cost of a replacement router. To be fair, they
would reimburse the cost of the support call ($29), but if it takes as
long as their rebates, you might as well forget about it. Ad I have to
pay shipping both ways!

More about : wireless router problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 1, 2004 4:01:46 AM

On 31 Jul 2004 14:58:20 -0700, wagnerma@yahoo.com (wagnerma) wrote:

>I have a netgear MR314 router that is not communicating with my
>wireless card, a netgear MA401. I have disabled WEP, access filter,
>and used the default configuration on both the router & card. But
>still no connection.

What are the lights on the MA401 and MR314 doing? If the wireless
activity lights are flashing, then RF is moving. If so, that makes it
a computah configuration problem.

>After working through the windows
>troubleshooter,

I'll assume Windoze XP.

>the event viewer is indicating that the DHCP server is
>not assigning an address to the wireless computer.

Yep. However, that's the symptom, not the cause. If there is some
kind of communications failure between the router and the wireless
card, then obviously the DHCP server cannot deliver an IP address.

>The router worked
>flawlessly for a year & a half, and suddenly stopped. I have not
>changed the configuration or firmware, of the card or router, for over
>a year. What can I do?

Well, the easiest test is to borrow a third radio and determine where
the problem is located by process of elimination. Also, don't assume
that the XP config has not changed. An update, worm, virus, spyware,
or crash can easily tweak the registry into some kind of useless
state. You might wanna run:
which is a quick fix for a trashed network configuration thanks to
spyware.

>One observation: If I change the card's network mode, from
>infrastructure to ad-hoc, the radio icon in the system tray turns
>green, from red, but I am still not able to ping the router.

Ad-hoc requires that you manually assign an IP address. Try it.
Change the network settings for the MA401 from server assigned (DHCP)
to:
IP address = 192.168.1.2
netmask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1 (presumed IP address of router).
and see if it pings. I'm not sure this will work because ad-hoc is
suppose to only work with other ad-hoc client radios and not with an
access points (infrastructure). Try it anyway, it only takes a
minute.

I previously posted a troubleshooting guide:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=p05lf0h4hfj8tebdnag6h...
which might be of some use. However, methinks using another radio on
a different computah will first be necessary to assign the blame to
either the access point or the client radio (or computah).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
August 1, 2004 2:32:06 PM

first check ipconfig if it was correct then may go to the ipcofig /flushdns
then ipconfig /release then /renew
then reboot see if it work It happen the same to me I done this way .
In the end if still not connecting network try system restore from XP with
the nearest day befor it fail

"wagnerma" <wagnerma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

August 1, 2004 4:54:47 PM

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<0i4pg0lkmuc8jh4tsk4puoh1ohniioicot@4ax.com>...

> What are the lights on the MA401 and MR314 doing? If the wireless
> activity lights are flashing, then RF is moving. If so, that makes it
> a computah configuration problem.

MA401: In infrastructure mode, LED flashes; Ad-hoc mode, LED is on.
MR314: ON LED, on; ACT LED, flashes occasionally.

> I'll assume Windoze XP.

2000 pro

> Yep. However, that's the symptom, not the cause. If there is some
> kind of communications failure between the router and the wireless
> card, then obviously the DHCP server cannot deliver an IP address.
>
> Well, the easiest test is to borrow a third radio and determine where
> the problem is located by process of elimination. Also, don't assume
> that the XP config has not changed. An update, worm, virus, spyware,
> or crash can easily tweak the registry into some kind of useless
> state. You might wanna run:
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
> which is a quick fix for a trashed network configuration thanks to
> spyware.

I do not have access to a third radio, but I'm looking for one. Is
there a similar program for 2000, or will it work with 2000?

> Ad-hoc requires that you manually assign an IP address. Try it.
> Change the network settings for the MA401 from server assigned (DHCP)
> to:
> IP address = 192.168.1.2
> netmask = 255.255.255.0
> gateway = 192.168.1.1 (presumed IP address of router).
> and see if it pings. I'm not sure this will work because ad-hoc is
> suppose to only work with other ad-hoc client radios and not with an
> access points (infrastructure). Try it anyway, it only takes a
> minute.

Didn't work, request timed out. Ipconfig shows addresses I specified;
shows 'cable disconnected' in infrastructure mode

> I previously posted a troubleshooting guide:
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?selm=p05lf0h4hfj8tebdnag6h...
> which might be of some use. However, methinks using another radio on
> a different computah will first be necessary to assign the blame to
> either the access point or the client radio (or computah).

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 1, 2004 9:17:43 PM

On 1 Aug 2004 12:54:47 -0700, wagnerma@yahoo.com (wagnerma) wrote:

>MA401: In infrastructure mode, LED flashes; Ad-hoc mode, LED is on.
>MR314: ON LED, on; ACT LED, flashes occasionally.

I think the radios are talking to each other in infrastructure mode.
Having it flash regularly is a good indication. Note that you do not
need to have a valid IP address for the radios to talk to each other.
They're working on layer 2 (MAC address layer). The TCP/IP layer 3
comes on top of it. Methinks there's a problem with TCP/IP somewhere.

>> I'll assume Windoze XP.
>2000 pro

>I do not have access to a third radio, but I'm looking for one. Is
>there a similar program for 2000, or will it work with 2000?

Nope. The XP Winsock fix is strictly for XP.

>Didn't work, request timed out. Ipconfig shows addresses I specified;
>shows 'cable disconnected' in infrastructure mode

Cable disconnected can sometimes be caused by a partial or defective
driver installation. Check the "Device Manager" and see if there are
any warning of disabled devices or driver issues. You might also have
the driver set to "disabled". Right click on the network device icon
in the system tray and see if it says "disable" or "enable".

I would drag the laptop to a wireless hot spot coffee shop and see if
you can get it to work. If it works, you have an access point
problem. If it doesn't, then my guess(tm) is that the MA401 has a
driver problem.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 3, 2004 3:35:22 AM

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<tj1rg0937lpsm7s1t9gqj3tt4jjld5vc1n@4ax.com>...

> Cable disconnected can sometimes be caused by a partial or defective
> driver installation. Check the "Device Manager" and see if there are
> any warning of disabled devices or driver issues. You might also have
> the driver set to "disabled". Right click on the network device icon
> in the system tray and see if it says "disable" or "enable".

Everything ok in device manager. I've got the latest driver & firmware
installed.

> I would drag the laptop to a wireless hot spot coffee shop and see if
> you can get it to work. If it works, you have an access point
> problem. If it doesn't, then my guess(tm) is that the MA401 has a
> driver problem.

Ok I took it to a coffee shop & it kinda worked. It would connect for
10-20 seconds & then disconnect for 10-20 seconds (per Event Viewer).
In 15 minutes, this happened a couple dozen times. One thing I
noticed, I had a much better signal if I turned the laptop on its side
(card verticle), than in its normal (horizontal) position. Does this
mean the card is bad? I'm looking for another to test my router.

I'm going out of town tomorrow. So if I don't respond for a few days
it doesn't mean I've given up & destroyed my equipment.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 3, 2004 8:30:03 PM

The card on the side with a better signal is becuase the access point
you were talking to probably had its antennas vertically polarized. y
turning your laptop on its side you did the same thing this improved
the signal. RF signals will be stronger when both antennas are
polarized in the same direction.

As far as you other problems my suggestion is to first flash your
router with the most current firmware and do the same for your card.
Some times this will solve an issue of a corrupt driver or setting.
Then once this is accomplished change the channel in use to any other
channel. Some times making a small change that seems unlikely to have
an effect can clear up a problem.

!