BOOTMGR Missing

jfitz90

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
To be upfront, I already have the problem fixed, I'm just trying to gather why this happened. :hello:

I was browsing the internet with my computer, nothing but firefox with a few tabs open. I stepped outside for a smoke and when I came back in my computer had rebooted and was sitting at the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" screen after the Mobo splash screen. The message under Verifying DMI Pool Data was BOOTMGR is missing or corrupt, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I have had this build up for months running fine with no problems. The only thing I had recently installed that may matter is the newest ATI drivers and CCC (V 10.7).

Any reason why my computer went from up and running to BOOTMGR corrupting in the span of 5-10min?

In Case you ask

Antec 900 Case
Raidmax 700w modular PSU
Athlon X2 5600 2.8GHz
Sapphire HD2900Pro
4Gigs G.Skill DDR2800
Gigabyte Mobo (Not sure the model number)
WD Caviar 320GB (System Drive)
Seagate 7200.11 160GB (Backup Drive)

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
this is a probably thing because of lack of info:
the ntoskrnl.exe file is causing the crash, from Wiki: ntoskrnl.exe (and ntkrnlpa.exe on systems with Physical Address Extension support) is the kernel image for the family of Microsoft Windows NT operating systems. It provides the Kernel and Executive layers of the Windows NT kernel space, and is responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualization, process and memory management, etc., thus making it a fundamental part of the system. It contains the Cache Manager, the Executive, the Kernel, the Security Reference Monitor, the Memory Manager, and the Scheduler, among other things, so you can understand why this is happening, whatever program is running uses memory, and the ATI drivers have issues with this file, so the program write information to memory and ntoskrnl.exe can't find it, BSOD, but this is a guess

There can be lots of reasons why this fault can occur; often this problem can be cured without reinstalling Windows by simply performing a scan disk from a CD based boot disk.
Reasons for this fault could be turning off the computer without shutting it down, virus, faulty memory, faulty power supply, faulty hard disk, faulty motherboard, buggy software. The first reason is the most likely.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
It probably has something to do with either, or both, the power saving features or the load on part of, or age, of your Power Supply Unit. (Pretty much as above).

Systems with 4GB of physical memory tend to have more restrictions on their power saving settings, Hybrid Sleep and the like may not work correctly every time.

If you're running a Windows x64 Kernel then it should work, sadly this is not always the case.

Checking the system event log may shed more light on the cause, just filter out all of the 'Informational' ones and check all three logs.

What settings are you using for power saving?

fferree_99

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I found that bad memory was causing my problem. I didn't do a MEM test on the memory. When I removed 2 of 4 sticks of memory my system booted and everything was fine. When I put the bad sticks in another computer I got the BootMGR message and the system would not run.