how do i reinstall the usb ports for my peripherals

I repaired my os by using the oem disk, everything was
going fine until my D drive disappeared, i added the
software for that back and now i can't hook up any
peripherals like my printer or web cam. i removed these
programs earlier, but now the plug and play doesn't
acknowledge anything. and autoplaying the cd's to install
them always finishes with, a problem occurred during
installation and your program may not function
properly..yadda yadda yadda..I have two usb ports on the
back of my tower, i have used them before, but now they
aren't responding to these devices when i plug them in.
any ideas on what i did? what i can do?

Do some reading at this site and you should be able to solve your problem.
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm
Also if we knew what your Mother Board\chipset were we could give you a more direct link to download the drivers. Free programs like Everest Home Edition work very well and help you to learn about your system and identify it's components. In many cases there are even links to get the drivers you need.
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.