Which CD's to buy to use for backup.

I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have been
using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and please
give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
Thanks for your advice.
Dannie
7 answers Last reply
More about which backup

    If you don't have a DVD recorder you can't record DVD's - period!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have been
    > using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
    > CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
    > part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
    > unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
    > which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and
    > please
    > give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
    > data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Dannie

    No

    "Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have been
    > using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
    > CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
    > part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
    > unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
    > which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and
    please
    > give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
    > data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Dannie

    Duh - you answered your own question - if the drive can record DVD's
    then what makes you think it can put data on a blank DVD?

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I
    have been
    > using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales
    for
    > CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a
    DVD as
    > part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with
    my
    > unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank
    DVD in
    > which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over
    and please
    > give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my
    Quicken
    > data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Dannie

    "Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have been
    > using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
    > CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
    > part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
    > unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
    > which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and
    please
    > give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
    > data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Dannie

    IMO
    As to the first part of your question, you should use CD-R. CD-R are less
    costly than CD-RW and with most backup programs easier to use. In most
    cases you should buy the cheapest CD-R stacks {25, 50, 100 etc disks } that
    you can find. From the information in your post, I would ignore the band
    name. When you no longer need the backup CD, again based on your post, I
    would take a utility knife and cut an X on the label side of disk to make
    the disk difficult to read and then dispose of the disk.

    If you have data that really must be protected, then invest in a CD shredder
    to dispose of the disks.

    If you have data that you need to backup for years, then you need to be
    concerned with the brand and type of CD-R and how your store the disks. If
    this is your concern, suggest to go to www.langa.com and review the recent
    newsletters CD life and storage.

    Also, suggest that you consider investing an image backup application such
    as Drive Image, Ghost, etc.

    Don

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Dannie" <sloopoke.noname@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have
    >> been
    >> using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
    >> CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
    >> part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
    >> unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
    >> which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and
    > please
    >> give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
    >> data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    >> Thanks for your advice.
    >> Dannie
    >>

    > IMO
    > As to the first part of your question, you should use CD-R. CD-R are less
    > costly than CD-RW and with most backup programs easier to use. In most
    > cases you should buy the cheapest CD-R stacks {25, 50, 100 etc disks }
    > that
    > you can find. From the information in your post, I would ignore the band
    > name. When you no longer need the backup CD, again based on your post, I
    > would take a utility knife and cut an X on the label side of disk to make
    > the disk difficult to read and then dispose of the disk.
    >
    > If you have data that really must be protected, then invest in a CD
    > shredder
    > to dispose of the disks.
    >
    > If you have data that you need to backup for years, then you need to be
    > concerned with the brand and type of CD-R and how your store the disks.
    > If
    > this is your concern, suggest to go to www.langa.com and review the recent
    > newsletters CD life and storage.
    >
    > Also, suggest that you consider investing an image backup application such
    > as Drive Image, Ghost, etc.
    >
    > Don

    I disagree with the difference between using CDRs and CDRWs for cost
    savings; it is nominal today. And, if the burn goes bad on the CDR, then the
    disk is no more than coaster, whereas the CDRW can be overwritten,
    formatted, or erased.

    "Dannie" wrote:

    > I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD unit (SM-308B) that came with my PC. I have been
    > using CD-R and CD-RW disks for backing up my data. I see many sales for
    > CD-R's but hardly any for CD-RW's. Now most disks seems to have a DVD as
    > part of the nomenclature. I know I can read DVD's (have done it with my
    > unit), and also know I can not record DVD's but can I use a blank DVD in
    > which I can record backup data like I do on a CD_RW over and over and please
    > give me a brand name and what the CD is called etc.. I backup my Quicken
    > data weekly as well as several folders and use BackupMyPc program.
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Dannie

DVD Backup CD-Rom Windows XP