Top 10 Geek Movies for 2007

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
TwitchGuru paid a visit to Wondercon 2007 last week in San Francisco and got a sneak peak at a few of the blockbuster movies lined up for this year. Here's a list of top 10 movies for geeks, nerds, comic book fans, and movie nuts for 2007..

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
While we are all loooking forward to spiderman I would think that it is a more mainstream content (meaning the spidey character) than geek only. I think transformers should get that crown.

This is more like a top 10 guy movies list :p

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have heard scary horrible things about the transformers movie.... At this point I fully expect my childhood nostalgia to be trampled and shived, then dragged behind a truck, hung, drawn and quartered, and shot by firing squad.

Hopefully I will pleasantly surprised.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Is the director that bad?

Have you seen "The Island"? "Armageddon?" "The Rock"? Good god, man, he's out of control!

Info, I don't have high hopes either, and I'm specifically keeping my expectations in the basement in hopes that the film will somehow be better than I ever imagined. Again, I have to say the CGI looks crazy good. But I'm sure Bay will find a way to muck it up, in which case I'll just have to hunker down for a weekend and watch "Transformers: The Movie" and recall the good ole days with Orson Welles, Leonard Nimoy and Wierd Al. Good times...

BTW, a lot of "Transformers" was shot in downtown L.A. and I got a chance to see some of the sets. Pretty interesting stuff, even though they shut down huge chunks of the city. Wasn't nearly half as bad as "Live Free or Die Hard" shutting down LAX for a week. I guess that's the price you pay for living in L.A. Freakin' Hollywood...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I saw all three and I liked them :oops: The rock was incredible whereas the problems of the other 2 were more a problem with the script and bad science (specially Armageddon) than directing.

And any movie with Bruce Willies and Liv Tyler cannot fail in my books even if it stars Affleck :D

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I saw all three and I liked them The rock was incredible whereas the problems of the other 2 were more a problem with the script and bad science (specially Armageddon) than directing.

And any movie with Bruce Willies and Liv Tyler cannot fail in my books even if it stars Affleck.

"Yeah, but Affleck was the bomb in "Phantoms"..."
--Holden McNeil, "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
And any movie with Bruce Willies and Liv Tyler cannot fail in my books even if it stars Affleck :D

lol... that's a scary thought.. I also like those 3 movies.. I thought The Island was great 8O .

Transformers looks ok, i'm not sure what to think, I still have images of the 80s movie in my head.

300.. I only saw this about 5 weeks ago, it made me drool, it's gotta be damn good. Or else, something strange might happen.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
lol. Was that a Freudian slip? :lol:

Anyway, I'm scared. This year doesn't look good for geekdom. TMNT looks "funny, but not ha-ha funny"; Die-Hard is jumping from old cliché (which is kinda like calling LotR clichéd) to modern cliché; The Simpsons Movie previews are as bad as the latest seasons; and Transformers...sigh. I'm going to follow everyone else's cue and expect disappointment...while crossing my fingers for pleasant surprises.

Despite having excellent CGI and special effects, "Dead Man's Chest" was a rambling mess that wasn't nearly as much fun as the first film.
I recently watched the first two PotC films again. After the first one, I said, "Now that was a good film. What happened to the second one?" So I popped on over to imbd.com to did a little research and see who the writers were. Well, Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio brought us Aladdin, the Mask of Zorro, the Road to El Dorado, Pirates of the Caribbean (see a pattern?), and Shrek.

Fun movies all, but what sequels did they bring us? PotC: Dead Man's Chest and the Legend of Zorro, and soon to be added is National Treasure: Book of Secrets (No!!). These guys can't do sequels. As far as I'm concerned, AWE is already a disappointment.

I wouldn't think I'd be saying this several years ago, but I'm most looking forward to Harry Potter. I hope the new director is a surprising talent.