• Multiplayer games!!!

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • I am a loser I dont play games!!!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Me and several of my friends are debating about how many people are playing single player or online multiplayer games. What I mean is do more people play single player games or multiplayer games?? We are not concernd on who plays both just the majority on what do people like to play more of. This includes all the consoles including XBOX, XBOX 360, PS2, PS3, Wii, and of course PC.
We are wondering on who is correct in our debate since the "Single player" people in our debate demand proof of the facts that more people play multiplayer games.
Thanks please vote and thanks to all who responds freely to this forum.[/code]

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Me personally, I prefer single player and LAN games. There are very few games that I will ever even think about playing online with the masses.

Main reason being that I don't like most people who play online games... or at least most of the loud obnoxious ones who you will always notice more frequently than the quiet good ones.

I have a gaming lan set up at my home and frequently do play multiplayer with my friends, but mostly I enjoy the single player campaigns and RPGs most.

My $0.02

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I'm a BF2142 multiplayer addict... I love the fact that i can play against people in Europe, Australia and across the US.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I’m not going to vote on this one, as I believe that both types of play have there own merits. Single player games have the whole story aspect behind them and the fact that you can play in a structured environment that has been designed to let you experience the game at it’s best. Online play can some times be rather tedious and mundane if you join in with the wrong people, after all it only takes one person to ruin the fun of a whole server. But once you get playing and get playing in very good games the experience you get is very enjoyable.

I have had moments in Counter Strike that I will never forget, same with Desert Combat… But then I have had very memorable moments in games like Final Fantasy and the original Half Life. I just would not be giving gaming justice if I were to vote on this.

[EDIT]

Just read the original post and I still cant vote, I play a lot online on my 360 but then I play a lot of single player too. Same with my PC, I play a lot on single player but spend hours playing Battle Field 2142 and CS:S. But on the PS2 I only play single player and I do play my PS2 a lot… So I think it’s a tie for me still… Maybe you should put that, as an option in the voting’s screen.

madmouse67

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I do both and enjoy both. As some have already stated, it all depends who is using the servers. If you get a good server with regular gamers, its a good experience, while some are just spoilt.

As caffuddled suggested, maybe a 4th option for both.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I cant put in a vote either.

Most of my gaming is online, from BF2, 2142, quake 3 (at work lan), etc. I still enjoy singleplayer (Oblivion, Starcraft's single player was fun, etc).

In research for UT2k7 (aka UT3), Epic found out alot of people played Unreal Tournament offline with bots, I can't remember exactly, but it was a pretty high percentage. I think I read that from PC Gamer or something..

Dyno

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I play far more single player than multiplayer.

I am using the 360 these days for all my gaming, and it is on-line, but being in Canada I find that very few people play. I can't find a Gears of War game every time I go on line and older games, like Quake or Prey usually have no one playing.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
FPS shooter, definately online.

RTS - i prefer offline... online it's just a clickfest and rather annoying (esp with resource gathers/builders & special abilities). If there was a turn based strategy game, that would be awesome.

Maybe if I had a teammate that I played with constantly, it would be more fun (getting stuck with a teammate that abandons, or is quickly disposed of, ruins the game).

Also, many RTS lag soooo badly online.

RPG - I try to avoid them, they are a blackhole for time. FPS and RTS you can pick up and drop and in an hour or two.

Dumb fun games - card games and such are good online, but there are a bunch of loud mouths.

Overall - I perfer human competition and partners. So I voted for online.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
As caffuddled suggested, maybe a 4th option for both.
So the OP is aware, you'll need to ask a Mod (try PM-ing BigMac) to add a new item to the Poll. They can't be updated by the OP once a vote is cast.

As for me, I enjoy occasional multiplayer bouts online, but I play single player more than 20x as often. I play MP mostly as a training ground. I don't get a sense of community when all I'm concerned about is how to stop being killed and why no one cares about sportsmanship.

SP gives me a sense of accomplishment, a mental challenge, and an opporitunity to relax.

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
The reason I didnt put an option for both in the poll is because all of the votes would have gone towards that option. We are just wondering if you "Had" to pick you prefrence in either single player or multiplayer gaming.( I can not edit the poll after it has been made)
Thanks to all who replie so far and thanks for you opinions!!... As it turns out so far the votes are neck to neck which I am suprised at since I thought most people would pick multiplayer option because the first thing that came into my head is World Of Warcraft since it has several million people playing it everyday.
The reason I like multiplayer is because of the interaction between other people around the world, and creates a challange to become better than that person, and in some cases get angry and start calling him/her noob which gets fun sometimes. My point is that playing single player games are fun for the understanding of the sotry, but I hate that fact that i am playing a game againts computers because computers make the game boring and so basic.
(that is my opinion)
Again thanks to all who have have commented, It really makes this fun to read

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The reason I like multiplayer is because of the interaction between other people around the world, and creates a challange to become better than that person, and in some cases get angry and start calling him/her noob which gets fun sometimes.

You see that, that right there is why I DON'T prefer multiplayer. Calling names and getting angry does not sound like my idea of fun.

If everyone who played online games acted like an adult (regardless of whether they are or not) then I would probably enjoy multiplayer more.

madmouse67

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Yes, sorry for not reading your post proper, in that case I'll go multiplayer.
At infornography42 just ignore those "noob callers" and interact with the more mature gamers. Once you find them, your gaming experience becomes more enjoyable.

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I mean dont let that part of where people are being just little kids bring it down and destroy the fun of multiplay because there are Plenty of mature like people servers in any online games which make the games fun. And i think all of sometime have that urge to feel better than another and word like "noob" or "owned" pop up on your chat ingame screen ^_^

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I mean dont let that part of where people are being just little kids bring it down and destroy the fun of multiplay because there are Plenty of mature like people servers in any online games which make the games fun. And i think all of sometime have that urge to feel better than another and word like "noob" or "owned" pop up on your chat ingame screen ^_^

yeah, but sometimes you need to shame someone enough to stop them from being arses (e.g. glitching, teamkilling). However, insulting someone for playing poorly is not cool.

Unfortunetely, there are trolls in multiplayer who thrive off of upsetting people.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I think the topic is rather misleading Online vs Singleplayer.
The best option is neither: It is multiplayer on a local lan (offline) with some friends. If you haven't tried it definitely a must.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Since I play mainly FPS I have voted multiplayer. Its just more fun when you know your playing against other ppl. I used to play alot on my xbox (especially wolfenstein), it can get really competitive sometimes and that only makes it more fun.Ofcourse its even better with a clan aswell. It can get very anoying when ppl start screaming through their microphones. :x On the pc there is the problem of lag and sometimes its better to talk via the mic then have to type as quickly as possibel :p

BritishSnowman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Multiplayer, I used to play single player all the time until one day I picked up BHD for the PC. Joined a squad and never looked back. For gameplay and pure fun Multiplayer wins hands down.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
though I agree there are MANY people on the internet who can ruin a multiplayer experience quite readily, I have found that ever since I played WC2 on a dial-up modem, I have never been able to keep interest in a single player game for very long. Ever since I became part of my first clan and began regularly playing with people I respected and enjoyed playing with, my appreciation for gaming went up tenfold.

I find in recent years there seems to be a trend of more disrespectful, competitive, rude and immature players on the internet. That has made it more difficult for me to find mature players to share a great experience with. However, I have ALWAYS found it is worth the effort that once I find a good group of people (not necessarily the best players in the game) who work together and have a great time.

My favourite teamwork game experiences have been with WC2, Rainbow 6, BF2 and WoW. I have had sporadic great experiences in other games too, but in these I found those kind of players I was seeking. Especially in BF2 when teamwork is absolutely critical and gives you instant repeatable results and voice communication, multiplayer takes this game way above the typical FPS of the past in my opinion.