BSOD (AGAIN!!)

Well had the memory changed on my sons PC and everything was running finr
until he installed Far Cry and Unreal Tournament. Neither of the games will
run, as soon as it goes inti the game it crashes out to the B.S.O.D.. The
place I bought the PC from have said that XP pro does not like to run with
games and I should re-build my system. Is this true? if so should I buy a
copy of XP Home and install that. I am reluctant to spend money without
being sure it will work. could it be the Graphics card.? All i can remember
is that it is a 256mb gfx card
TIA fed up Brian

It is utter nonsense that XP Pro cannot run games. Do not
buy XP Home in the hope that this will solve the problem -
it is the same OS as XP Pro, but with several security and
networking features removed.

If this problem has only happened since the memory
upgrade, then the memory itself may be bad. Cheap memory
is what the major brands have rejected from the factories,
so never buy a 'bargain' when buying RAM.

Make sure you have the latest drivers from the
manufacturers' websites for all your hardware but
especially the graphics card. See the manuals and/or
packaging that came with your PC to find the manufacturers
and models, or ask the shop where you bought the PC for
the specs.

Also make sure Windows is up to date - go to
www.windowsupdate.com

Mike

Splendid

Here are two sites of interest for you re. the games.. there are versions of
Unreal Tournament.. this is the first.. a search in Google will give you
sites for UT 2003 and 2004..

http://unreal.epicgames.com/TournamentVersions.htm

Ubisoft have a site that gives MINIMUM requirements for running Far Cry

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9045

Most of the big games have support pages/forums, and more often than not
supply patches to fix bugs..

Good luck

"brian lawrence" <brian.lawrence@baesystems.com> wrote in message
$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...
> Well had the memory changed on my sons PC and everything was running finr
> until he installed Far Cry and Unreal Tournament. Neither of the games
will
> run, as soon as it goes inti the game it crashes out to the B.S.O.D.. The
> place I bought the PC from have said that XP pro does not like to run with
> games and I should re-build my system. Is this true? if so should I buy a
> copy of XP Home and install that. I am reluctant to spend money without
> being sure it will work. could it be the Graphics card.? All i can
remember
> is that it is a 256mb gfx card
> TIA fed up Brian

Also verify your Mother boards chipset is updated as well.

Cheap mem. bad.

XP---------good.

Computer store------------ding dong.

: )

"BMC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

The problem occured all the time beore I had the memory changed. But did not
reoccur until I put the new games on for him. I will make sure I have the
latest drivers for the gfx card. Windows has all the updates so is
completely up to date. Could it still me a hardware problem or should I
rebuild my sons system. I am reluctant to do this as it means backing all
the data up then reloading all the software

"Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Here are two sites of interest for you re. the games.. there are versions
of
> Unreal Tournament.. this is the first.. a search in Google will give you
> sites for UT 2003 and 2004..
>
> http://unreal.epicgames.com/TournamentVersions.htm
>
> Ubisoft have a site that gives MINIMUM requirements for running Far Cry

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9045

> Most of the big games have support pages/forums, and more often than not
> supply patches to fix bugs..
>
> Good luck

Good point.

Do check for patches to the games you are playing. Most, if not all, games
require the latest patch to even play them.

BSOD is usually not a result of not being patched, however.

By the way, what is in your event viewer regarding the BSOD? Control
panel/admin tools/event viewer.

It may also help to copy the complete error and "google" for any topics
related to the error.

thanks
i will lok into these this weekend and get back
brian
"W????n" <???????@???????.gov> wrote in message

> "Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Here are two sites of interest for you re. the games.. there are
versions
> of
> > Unreal Tournament.. this is the first.. a search in Google will give you
> > sites for UT 2003 and 2004..
> >
> > http://unreal.epicgames.com/TournamentVersions.htm
> >
> > Ubisoft have a site that gives MINIMUM requirements for running Far Cry

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_fa
qid=9045

> > Most of the big games have support pages/forums, and more often than not
> > supply patches to fix bugs..
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> Good point.
>
> Do check for patches to the games you are playing. Most, if not all, games
> require the latest patch to even play them.
>
> BSOD is usually not a result of not being patched, however.
>
> By the way, what is in your event viewer regarding the BSOD? Control
> panel/admin tools/event viewer.
>
> It may also help to copy the complete error and "google" for any topics
> related to the error.

Hi I have XP Pro and have no such problems and as for the shop well very very poor, with these games you need to make sure all drivers are updated, graphics, sound, chipset, direct x, I run Far Cry and have never had a crash, there is only one update patch for Far Cry it is the 1.1 patch it is only for the online side of things but you can put it on anyway, I didnt have problems before or after using the patch, also remember that Far Cry is very very demanding of the pc you need at least 512mb ddr ram preferably pc2700 and up, at least a nvidea fx5200 for low settings in game also set your page files max and min the same ie if you have 256 meg set page file to 3 times that amount, also would help if you put Far Cry in its own partition next to c drive say leave 20 gig for xp then 5 gig for Far Cry leaving the page file in c( best to turn page file off, re boot, defrag the drive c, put page file back on that way its after c but near d(farcry) it helps alot)