Sign in with
Your question

Windows Home Vista and Command and Conquer: Generals

Last response: in Video Games
March 6, 2007 3:37:31 AM

Hello All,
I just bought a computer with Windows Home Vista Premium on it and I was wondering if anyone new if Command And Conquer: Generals is Compatible with it.
Thanks

-greg
March 6, 2007 9:31:47 AM

So far none of the EA games support Vista. Some of them work with Vista some of them don't. For example the upcoming C&C3 works with Vista but in the info file it says that they do not support Vista. Need For Speed Carbon does not work with Vista but Need for Speed Most Wanted does.

That is one of the reason i hate EA.
Related resources
March 6, 2007 10:14:03 AM

You're blaming EA for their games not being compatible with an o/s that wasn't released when the games were developed? 8O

Why not blame Microsoft for rushing the roll-out of Vista before the drivers were ready?

Or the computer retailers who are bundling Vista with new PCs and selling them to a mis-informed public who think Vista is complete?

Or the public for failing to learn from history that Microsoft couldn't succesfully roll out a small rug, let alone a major product?

Give EA a break - not all the evils of the world are their fault.
March 6, 2007 10:52:50 AM

I am blaming EA because they suck. C&C3 is not supporting Vista.
Vista is out for a while now and C&C3 is a new game not old.
March 6, 2007 11:05:58 AM

You referred to two Need for Speed games that were released well before Vista went gold.

Vista has only been on general release for 2 months - hardly "a while now", when you consider the size of EA's back catalogue. I think expecting EA to patch old games to run on a new o/s within 2 months of launch is a little unreasonable. It's always good when companies continue to support their products to run ion the latest hardware, etc, but you can;t expect it to be their top priority.

Regarding C&C - it is pretty poor that a game that was billed as Vista-compatible apparently isn't going to be. But you don't know what's going on behind the scenes. The fault may well lie with Microsoft or the hardware manufacturers but EA are unlikely to come out and start blaming them as it benefits everyone to maintain a united front. unless you've got some inside knowledge that the rest of us don't know about, to criticise EA on a game that hasn't even been released yet seems a little petulant.

Your comments suggest that you already have a rabid hatred of EA and are simply looking to find fault. With the exception of maybe Blizzard, you'll struggle to find any devs/publishers who are without a stain on their record.

Still, if you want to boycott EA, go right ahead. With the exception of battlefarce, I'ce never encountered a problem with any of EA's titles. I actually quite like some of EA's games and look forward to buying many more in the future. I'd actually be quite impressed if EA did come right out and say "vista is cr*p, we're not supporting it until the drivers are sorted".

(Jeez, I almost sound like their marketing department. OK - FIFA sucks compared to Pro Evo. Better now.)
March 6, 2007 11:45:26 AM

Quote:
You referred to two Need for Speed games that were released well before Vista went gold.

Vista has only been on general release for 2 months - hardly "a while

Dont make it sound like game developers had no acces to Vista before Vista's Jan 30 launch. Vista was released back in November by the way, and it was released to home users in Jan.

How long do you think it takes to develop a game a few months, or a few years? How come that game comes out like Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes that fully supports Vista even though Vista was only released 2 months ago and then you get games like GRAW2 and NFS Carbon that dont support Vista.

I don't hate EA, I just hate companies that make games and just ignore the new operatiing system, or new hardware because they are freakin pricks. How come STALKER can support Vista that is in development for almost 4 years.
March 7, 2007 1:04:23 AM

I am new to this computer scene. Where can I go to see what games (similar to C&C) are compatible with Vista?
-greg
March 7, 2007 9:48:42 PM

Quote:
I am new to this computer scene. Where can I go to see what games (similar to C&C) are compatible with Vista?
-greg

I don't think there is such a place. You can browse through the gaming websites like Gamespot, or IGN and see which games look interesting to you and then give the demo a try. C&C3 demo runs in Vista no problem (so far for me anyways) they just don't support it so if you have any troubles in the game and you are running Vista you are out of luck.

You can also give Supreme Commander a try if you like strategy games and that runs with Vista no problem.
March 8, 2007 12:36:15 PM

If it says "Games for Windows" on the box, use Linux :p  .
March 8, 2007 1:13:08 PM

I almost forget Company of Heroes. You must check that game out. It was game of the year for 2006 in many magazines.
March 9, 2007 10:21:27 PM

Quote:
If it says "Games for Windows" on the box, use Linux :p  .

:lol:  Jerk. :p 
August 10, 2008 3:17:45 PM

I don't think that pro evo much better than Fifa, look at fifa 08 and euro08, u'll see the improvement and the better playing system by EA.
Anonymous
September 20, 2008 9:37:33 AM

iam a fanatic of C&C generals especially zero hour does it has a conflict with vista cause iam not able to run the game on my pc
!