Cheap Athlon Board?

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
I currently have a Jetway (I'm a poor misguided fool, I know!) 867AS (that has half the stuff missing!) with an AMD Athlon 1.13@1.3G. The 867AS runs the VIA KT266 chipset and it's...well a bit [-peep-]. Basically I want to know if anyone can recommend me a cheap AMD Athlon board that works with SD-RAM? (Don't recommend ones with the KT133A chipset please :))
Just to add: NEVER buy a Jetway! Their mainboards are missing half the features they claim to have! My one came with no temp sensors, no onscreen health and is NOT jumperless! You can change the FSB from the CMOS but you have to fiddle with jumpers for the ratio (half the time this doesn't work). I still haven't worked out how the hell I'm expected to modify the core voltage on this board! If anyone has any ideas, do tell!!!

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I'd check out this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=519441#519441" target="_new">thread,</A>. Basically same question and some answers.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
You really don't have a wide arrange of options if you want the board to support sdram. You could try the k7s5a. That board is around $50 and supports both sdram and ddr266 ram.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
while it's a good suggestion, I advise against that board. Just scroll through these forums, countless people have a wide range of issues with that board. A few people have it stable, but alot don't. Any other K7 board supporting SDRAM will be rather old, and honestly suck total ass in performance and you might as well get a celeron :eek:) eBay your SDRAM, it sells for a decent amount you'd be surprised. Buy a new board with DDR. 256MB of good name brand PC2100 shouldn't run you more than $60, a board also about $60. And you'll absolutly love the performance of DDR and a good K7 board (KT266A chipset or above) as well as some SIS solutions. Check that thread link above for some board ideas, most in that thread are $65 or less.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 08/14/02 08:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
While there are people have had issues with the k7s5a, many more have a nice stable system built on it. Two of my friends build their athlons on it(a tbird and a XP) and they both have a very stable system. Because its not a super nice board most people aren't going to brag about it in forums such as these. Your obviously going to find more people complaining about the board in this forum because thats what people do. They ask when something goes wrong.