Sign in with
Your question

Emergency! Errors Registry

Last response: in Motherboards
August 14, 2002 9:02:58 PM

I was getting lots of fatal exception errors in games and just windows, too. I reloaded windows in windows, without losing my files, but had no errors only for a few hours and then got lots to where it was impossible. Tried reloading old registry settings, but that didn't work either.
So I completely reformated the hard drive and lost all my files, and it is still giving me fatal exception errors and it is driving me nuts. Components are as follows:
P4 1.5gh
ASUS P4S333 Motherboard with SIS645 Chipset
IBM 60Gb hard drive 60GXP(?)
Corsair PC2400 memory at CAS 2.5 DDR
FSB 100 MEMORY 133 DDR
D-link LAN Card 530-TX
GeForce2 Pro 64meg Leadtek stock.
Kenwood ZEN multibeam CDROM
DVD Player btc?
Four fans 12v
Antec 1240 Tower case with Enhance 340w PS

Any help as to what might be causing the errors would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. Take_Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
August 14, 2002 9:49:34 PM

COMEON,PLEASE, someone knows what causes these errors. Thanks

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
August 14, 2002 10:09:32 PM

how much ram do you have? how many sticks? what windows are you running?

the two things that come to mind are your hard drive and ram. the ram you have is of good quality, so i was wondering if you got them new? now your hard drive is of bad quality and there is a good chance that IT is the problem. how old is your hard drive?

one last thing you want to do is try an anti virus program to make sure you dont have a virus. if you have a fast net connection i'll send you the best virus software.

<b><font color=orange>sing to prolong HDD life; spin right round like a record baby Right round round round
Related resources
August 14, 2002 10:19:32 PM

Windows 98 SE
RAM 512M in 2 ea 256M sticks. Everything bought new.
IBM usually is ranked high in quality, and it is about 9 months old and is ran about 6 hrs average a day.
I am currently running Windows Discscan Thorough
and boy does it take a long time.
I was running McAuffe anti-virus but have had it off on occasion after installing some items and forgot for a while to turn it back on, so a virus is a possibilty.
Can a virus stay in the computer even after a complete re-format?
Thanks very much for replying. Take_Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 08/14/02 03:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2002 2:09:31 AM

When something like this happens the following come to mind:
1. Bad Ram
2. Bad Power Supply
3. Bad HDD

You can easily rule out the Ram by swapping DIMMS in and out one at a time. You can also try a different HDD or power supply. If you can safely rule those things out you could possibly have the RAM timings set too aggressively. Or it is entirely possible you may be getting spikes and dips in electrical current going to your power supply. Do you have a good surge protector or UPS? How are your IDE cables? Are they kinked or twisted? The recent THG article about IDE's brings to mind this possibility. Let us know how things go. Good luck.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
August 15, 2002 2:19:35 AM

Thank You! It came together when you mentioned the voltages having fluctuations. With the temp here in Sacramento over 100 degrees F lately, and some of my surge arrestors going off with alarms, it rang a bell.
I am giving the HD a real workout with a thorough Diskscan, and will swap out the DDR to test later. The Diskscan has taken 6 hours so far and about half done.
My Enhance power supply aint the best even at 340 watts, and with all my fans, I'll bet it pushed it over the line.
Thanks again, Take-Out.
PS: I'll let yall know what I find for sure.

August 15, 2002 2:44:02 AM

heres some more help for you:

A. to detect a weak/struggling PSU: lockups freezes and random reboots. excessive heat output, fluctuating/dipping voltages, especially in the 12v line for pentium 4's.

B. to detect ram problems: run the program MEMTEST86. 1 full runthrough (about 30mins) should be sufficient to detect memory errors. can test a stick at a time to isolate the problem .

C. HDD problem detection: go to ibm's webpage and download Drive fitness test (DFT) run a complete drive scan. see if anything pops up.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 15, 2002 3:38:06 AM

hmm... now i really think its yo hdd

do you have power problems at your place? like poobaa said, you'd get reboots and stuff. i really haven't seen errors of such caused by psu.

my guess is the hdd has bad clusters or ram has blowen transistors. abd BTW, ibm is one of the wors hdd manufacturers for now.

<b><font color=orange>sing to prolong HDD life; spin right round like a record baby Right round round round
August 15, 2002 3:39:41 AM

Thanks Much, am running complete thorough diskscan, 7 hours so far. Am looking at replacing Enhance 340w power supply if needed. Will look for Memtest if needed.
Take-Out

August 15, 2002 5:50:37 PM

Quote:
abd BTW, ibm is one of the wors hdd manufacturers for now.

Yeah, what the hell happened to IBM? They probably tried to cut costs and sacrificed quality to do so. I think that Take out's hdd was from a better lot. IBM's troubles seemed to begin with the 75GB version not the 60GB. Assuming we are talking about the DTLA307060.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
August 15, 2002 8:17:47 PM

I remember reading a thread about similar problems related to Windows 98 SE and 512Mb RAM, I might be wrong but it's worth the trouble to investigate this possible issue simply by removing one of your memory modules ( while the computer is disconnected of course ) and testing running it with 256Mb. It could be also bad RAM timings, you know, PC2400 never was ( and never will be ) an industry standard for DDR-SDRAM. Some viruses can stay resident in a system even after a complete HDD format, but those are oddities since most recent board carry some kind of virus protection...

I hope you'll figure things out soon !

Fok Speling Misstake
August 15, 2002 8:46:11 PM

windows 98SE has a problem with with 512MB of RAM or more. I bet if you take out a stick it'll run fine!

You may want to switch to windows XP cracked version or windows 2000 SP2 only .. do not get it with SP3! ... also you may want to look into Linux or just buy a Mac.

good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
August 17, 2002 2:00:38 AM

I am becoming pretty sure it is a PS problem as this config has been running since last January or so. I live in Sacramento, CA and if you watch the Weather Channel much, you know we get pretty hot (100+) here quite often in the summer, and the problem came up when the temp went up over 105 and seems less early in the morning and late at night when the line voltages are higher due to less air conditioner usage.
I ran a thorough disc scan with windows that took over 9 hours, and it showed NO errors. My drive's series only had trouble with the 75Gb model.
I may try the memory yanking method to see if 512m may be too much with Win98 SE. I am going to order an Antec or Enermax power supply of at least 350 watts, I have been wanting to upgrade since I saw my 12v was actually running at 11.83v or so since new in Jan. I wasn't aware that the P4 uses more 12v resources.
Thanks so much for the positive input, it helps when others offer help.
I am working full time, so I work on the puter when I can, and will update when I find something out.
Thanks again, Take-Out.

August 17, 2002 3:01:03 AM

line problems huh? bummer.
had a friend who's house had lousy power, seems even with a decent 430W psu he got terrible stability problems.

on decent way to solve problems for sure is to get a UPS. not only do the protect against blackouts, but also power spikes, surges, dips and brownouts.

<b>P4 'Wilty' Celleron 1.7, 128Mb PC100 Cas3 SDRAM, 5400rpm HDD, Integrated everything. YUM!<b>
August 18, 2002 11:40:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am considering a UPS as well as a new PS. I took out one of my memory sticks and it still does it. I get no errors it seems, until it warms up good.
The cpu heat is ok, and no high heat in the MB either. Guess I will order a new power supply from Newegg.
Thanks Again, Take-Out

September 6, 2002 2:44:24 AM

IT WAS THE MEMORY! Okay, so it took forever, it seems, but I had a priority build for a guy going back to college, and he left yesterday. So today I put my new Enermax Power supply (EG365P-VE), about $58 from Newegg.com, and I got better voltages, like 12.08 instead of 11.85, and everything was a little better, but then I got another Blue screen of [-peep-].
Same type of error.
I changed the memory from the Corsair PC2400 to the Crucial PC2100 and Voila', no more probs.
THAT WAS IT, THE MEMORY! Apparently, it somehow took a hit and went down. I haven't checked both sticks yet, each of 256megs, but at least one of them is bad.
Thanks to everyone for the help and support. And sorry it took so long to resolve, but the emergency disappeared shortly thereafter.
Take-Out

September 25, 2002 11:19:34 PM

OKAY, last post, got my replacement Corsair RAM at no cost, Lifetime Guarentee! Will continue using the Crucial RAM in my big machine and delegate the Corsair to the speed machine for testing purposes. Thanks to all.
Take-Out

!