How to protect a Folder?

Hi. I would like to know if it´s possible to lock a folder with a password or something like that. I mean, I am a doctor and I need to protect a lot of patient files. Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry about my english
2 answers Last reply
More about protect folder

    See this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
    Also see:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "JABS" <JABS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I would like to know if it´s possible to lock a folder with a
    password or something like that. I mean, I am a doctor and I need to
    protect a lot of patient files. Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry
    about my english

    Greetings --

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a work-around, you can place the file in a compressed folder,
    and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its
    contents.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "JABS" <JABS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I would like to know if it´s possible to lock a folder with a
    password or something like that. I mean, I am a doctor and I need to
    protect a lot of patient files. Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry
    about my english

Microsoft Windows XP