Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Hi,

I´ve have a really weird problem, and it´s so strange that I really don´t know where to put it...

It´s like this:
I bought new components:
Abit KR7A 133, Amd Duron 1100, 128Mb DDR 2100 OEM, 30 Gb 5,400 rpm Samsung HardDisk, 52x Sony, GeForce 2 Mx 400 (Yes, it´s lo budg...).

I tried installing WinXP as well as Win98SE, but both won´t work properly or won´t even install. All components work properly in another pc, except for the Mobo, mem and proc, but I haven´t tested them.

When I try to install XP, it gives me the warning "file is not a good XP setup file" so I pressed Enter so that Setup copies it once more. But then, all of a sudden, XP hangs with the message "Windows was shut down to prevent damage to your computer".

Win98SE does install, but with all kinds of errors in *.cpl files and such.

It´s just a weird problem ´cause there aren´t any visible hardware problems (beeps or anything).

I´m really stressed, and I´m going to try to replace the Mobo with a new one, but I don´t know if that is the solution...

Does anyone know of compatibility issues with this Mobo or did anyone have thesame trouble with installing XP?

Thanks,

Baztian

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Most likely a bad motherboard.
Well, more technically, its probably a faulty IDE controller.

I've had this happen before to a machine at work.
Files would get corrupted by just doing normal I/O on them.
( read/write/copy )

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
like the other guy said, it could be due to IDE corruption, either due to bad drives, cables or controller on the motherboard.

to check this out:
a. install dos.
b. find a data cd with a big big file on it.
c. copy the file to your hard drive
d. compare the original and the copy using the dos command FC /B original copy
e. repeat this a few times, maybe moving the files around alot, see if you get any missmatches. if you are,then your gettin corruption somewhere.

<b>P4 'Wilty' Celleron 1.7, 128Mb PC100 Cas3 SDRAM, 5400rpm HDD, Integrated everything. YUM!<b>

Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Ok, thanks guys, just a we tought at first. I think I´ll try to claim the warranty.

Thanks a lot! It really removes doubt, pfff.

Baztian