GDC 2007: Inside Sony's Keynote Surprise

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Sony delivered two announcements - one expected, and one a surprised - during Phil Harrison's keynote at GDC 2007. TwitchGuru examines Sony's new look with PlayStation Home and the unique title LittleBigPlanet.

fsalazar90

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
wtf why is it that on all the discussions of articles I've seen, someone says "broken link." I thought this was some custom or so...

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Dammit! That game belongs on Nintendo along with Viva Pinata and katamari damacy! What is with other consoles getting fun weird trippy games?

Interesting point. It's funny, I got the feeling between LittleBigPlanet and the PlayStation Home that Sony had pretty much stolen Nintendo's thunder. The game looks like a Nintendo title, only better, and the PlayStation Home makes the Mii look like a dinosaur. I just blogged about this very topic: http://omidr.typepad.com/twitchblog/

Hey, where did all the "Rob Hates Sony" guys go, by the way?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Don't worry about them, they're still addicted to WoW. :wink:

Hmmm, I like the concept of LittleBigPlanet and appreciate that Sony gave an independent the spotlight. It looks and sounds interesting. I think good things will come of it.

I don't like PlayStation Home. It's too much. I appreciate that they're giving a unique and full experience, but I use a console to game, not live in a micro-managed apartment and chill-ax with friends. That's life, and it's already all around me outside of the box.

Still I won't complain too loudy because I'm sure it's an optional experience. Kudos to Sony for a successful show.

(I just went to the Vista/Office 2007 launch last Monday, with Bill Gates himself presenting, and it was horribly boring. Amazing when these two pieces of software are the crown of MS's library. The only reason to go is for a free copy Office 2007 Pro. :wink:)

bvickers

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Sony has definitely hit the right beats here, tapping into the current social networking phenomenon in a decidely PS3 fashion.

But as for LittleBigPlanet, this sounds an awful lot like the Valve Source mod Garry's Mod, but with cute, family-friendly imagery. Interesting to note that the company's only other title, Rag Doll Kung Fu, is also available on--wait for it--Valve's Steam service. So is it a game idea with legs? You bet. Is it especially ground breaking? Not so much. Good to finally give people some reasons to buy their new hardware.