Just Cause for Upgrading to Vista, 7 for DirectX 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder if this means Just Cause might actually work nicely under DirectX 10 since by these requirements, it might be developed purely for DirectX 10, instead of DirectX 9 with DirectX 10 extensions.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Nothing wrong with the game being DX10 only. This means they put more man/hours on improving graphics at the top end, and less on ensuring backwards compatibility with older hardware.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
For a game that REQUIRES a dual core cpu, 2 gigs of memory, and an 8800 or better video card, asking for users to have an OS from the last three years? That's pretty reasonable to me.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
How could this be a bad thing. I can't believe studios have still been stuck on 6-8 year old technology. For finally being the first dev to grow some balls and finally require DX10, they've found a customer in me, even if the game isn't that good.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]If they're still on XP, they're not true gamers.[/citation]

I use XP as my primary OS but dual boot 7 for situations like this when a game might not support DX9. I also run Ubuntu for academic work but that's not important.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Other than saying that an 8800 is equivalent to a HD 2600, i see nothing wrong with this. Crysis came out 2.5 years ago with requirements that were nuts at the time and they finally come out with another game that will completely stress your hardware.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]drowned[/nom]I use XP as my primary OS but dual boot 7 for situations like this when a game might not support DX9. I also run Ubuntu for academic work but that's not important.[/citation]
sry to tell you but that`s quite dumb, you strugle with 2 windows OSs on your pc and on top of that you throw a linux one too ... talking about being unefficient, each time you need to do smth on your pc you`ll have to reboot. But what the hell sounds cool on the nets about having 3 OS.

Dawgsoverrebs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I upgrade within the first month to the latest OS if my hardware isn't up to spec then its time to upgrade hardware, simple. Windows version is a good scale of a computer if you have an 8.5 yr old OS then don't expect to run the latest software.

(And if anyone tries to say my i7 and SLI setup can run DX10 just fine then shame on you for using outdated software.)

weilin

Distinguished
It's interesting how they consider the 8800 to be equal to the 2600, Also, For recommended spec, they ask for are GTS 250... I wonder if they know that they may be stating basically the same chip twice...

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Now we have the people who refuse to upgrade start to spout off rationalizations. And they'd think of themselves as power users, heh.

I'm glad that they are doing DX10 only. Finally, someone embracing a 2 year old technology! Hopefully we'll see this inch up the graphical quality of computer games beyond the minimum of what the current gen consoles can do. We need progress, not stagnation! The consoles can have their 5 year old graphics. Us with newer PCs and graphics hardware want our money's worth!

Otus

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]DX10 only? Never heard of the game , but I'll buy it just because they will have worked more on DX10.Now just need to push DX11.[/citation]
DX11 shouldn't be a problem after XP is dropped since Vista supports DX11 and the runtime also runs on older hardware. It's just a matter of disabling tesselation and other features on DX10 hardware.

G

[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]sry to tell you but that`s quite dumb, you strugle with 2 windows OSs on your pc and on top of that you throw a linux one too ... talking about being unefficient, each time you need to do smth on your pc you`ll have to reboot. But what the hell sounds cool on the nets about having 3 OS.[/citation]

Whats wrong with having multiple OSs? I will definitely dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my upcoming build. Windows xp certainly still has its place for backwards compatibility and Windows 7 for DX11 and more up to date software. I will always trust Ubuntu or any other Linux distro long before I trust my data to Microsoft online. Also, anyone with a descent computer can reboot in about 20 seconds....if the app you want to run doesn't run in Windows 7 but in Xp it don't matter how much "productivity" or whatever BS you lose if it won't run in Windows 7. If your a true computer geek/nerd whatever you'd understand this.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Hell's bells! I find it tasteless that most people are clamoring for DX10 goodness to be made standard now, when I've been hoping they would do that right from the start and it's way overdue now and I despair to think how much time it will take before DX11 becomes minimum spec.
I say what I always say. Embrace the new standards and forget the old. People will absolutely upgrade. Coddling the techno-sloths is not going to help the industry one bit. The alternative is to just allow them to suffocate progress and gaming enjoyment for everyone.

And to those fewls stating that XP 32/64 is ftw I bet you are the same people who stuck with Win3.1 till like 2005 and till then kept complaining about XP V.1 (the only ver. you tried) being to resource hungry to run on 32MB of RAM and that no matter what you could not get your 20 year old dot-matrix printer to install which is why 3.1 is ftw and and WinXP is crap because you are a technological puritan (AKA geezer). All this until 2005 when your printer spontaneously disintegrated from age into a polymer soup with bits of metal floating in it and you finally decided you can spend $50 on a minimum spec second hand system because your smartphone was outperforming your old system and that gave you a hint of how behind you are. Now suddenly. "Woot! XP FTW!" Sickening...

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Thank GOD. Yes, something like 40% of gamers are still on XP. That's because NOONE WILL FORCE THEM TO UPGRADE. Does noone remember the great games of yesteryear that forced an upgrade and pushed technology forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS