Quick Shuttle SS51 ?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm planning on putting together a Shuttle SS51G system for a friend and have one question for anyone has every purchased one just to put my fears to rest. All I want to know is that both the HEATPIPE and the POWER SUPPLY <b>are</b> included in the retail box. I couldn't imagine trying to hunt down one of these components on my own.

If anyone's intereseted, the sepcs are as follows:
P4 1.8A (tried to get the 2.0A off Newegg for same price, but sold out)
512MB Kingmax DD333
80 gig WesternDigital 7200rpm 8MB cache
PlexCombo 20/10/40-12A DVD/CDR combo drive
Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB

Right now, I'm looking at around $1100 for the whole shebang. Not bad for a kick ass setup like that. Thanks for any helpful insight I can squeeze out of you ;)

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
none of you have ever bought, or known someone who has bought one of these? can anyone at least give me a yes or no?

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the heat pipe and power supply are included. No, I wouldn't build one of these for anyone I actually liked, it's only got one PCI slot.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The things got most everything built in, what would you even use the 1 slot for? Hell, on my old A7V the only slots I use are AGP, NIC and sound.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It depends, the first thing I'd put in there is my SCSI card. Whoops, got to make those drives external!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Beefster

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I've bought one, it just hasn't arrived yet, as Crashman said the heatpipe and PSU definately come with it, as for his dislike for it, I can see his arguement though I believe he is missing the point, it is not intended as a primary system (although it can do the job).
I own three full systems, they have everyhting and I mean everything, they also weigh a hell of a lot and it takes some serious logistics to move them, as THG's guide mentions these are extremely powerful PC's that easily moved, ideally suited for LAN's.

Besides as the antipop mentioned, most people don't have use for the extra pci slots, not if network is onboard, sound and it has an AGP slot, I'm using the only PCI slot for a RAID controller like THG did.

The spec I have chosen is...

Spacewalker SS51G Barebone
2.266 GHz *533FSB* Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache S478
2 x Corsair XMS 256Mb DDR PC3000 Cas 2 - with Heat Spreader
128Mb Abit GF4 Ti4600 GeForce 4 TV Out/DVI
2 x 60Gb Maxtor D740X ATA-133 (7200rpm, 2MB Cache, 8.5ms) Quiet Drive Technology
Highpoint Rocket Raid 133RE 2Ch ATA133 Raid Host Adaptor

The onboard sound should be adequate, but if not I have a Soundblaster Extigy to fit the bill, easily connects to USB, has an external power source and is pretty compact.

Sorry I can't give you any more info but it hasn't arrived yet, it may be a week or so, I live in the UK and it has to be shipped over from the states.