sgar72

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002
Hi, i need to upgrade my PC real bad, but i dont know if its the right time to do so. I am after a new mobo and a Athlon XP but i know that by the end of the year the HAmmer will be out.I am sure i would not be able to affor it when it comes out, but i was wondering if anyone knew if a K8 mobo would take an Athlon XP ( i doubt it).That would be the ideal for me as i could then buy an Athlon XP and wait until the Hammer get cheaper sometimes in the future, but i guess this is probably asking too much.Well if anyone knows more please let me know. Thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I HIGHLY doubt there will be a board that will take both. They will simply be pin incompatible, chipset incompatible, etc.

There's ALWAYS better stuff coming out soon. If you take the "I'll wait" attitude, you will wait forever. Eventually, you have to draw a line in the sand.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You could always go with a P4 mobo. They'd have a long life-span...

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Can you remember that P4 launched initially with Socket 423 and then replaced with Socket 478?

Can a i850 or i845D mobo user upgrade to a 533 FSB P4?

Intel mobos always have shorter life-span than AMD mobos.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yes, I got a 423 Socket mobo (fumes :mad: ).

Yes, with some o/cing, you can get 133MHz FSB.

Also, Intel mobos in the past have not lasted as long as AMD ones, but for now, Intel mobos seem to have a long life-span, although there is talk that the 3.06GHz P4 w/ MultiThreading won't work with the current mobos. Just a rumour so far though.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

TRENDING THREADS