Need some ideas for games on a small lan (3-5 players)

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Some friends and i have started consistently laning on the weekends(between 3-5 of us) and we need some ideas for games to play. Most racing games are fine but they get tiresome quickly. As of late we've been playing dungeon lords and UT2004 which are both a blast. We've tried BF2, CS:S 1942 and others but these don't have the same fun factor especially when we're stuck with just three people. Obviously there are tons of shooters out there but I'd like to broaden our horizons some. I'm especially interested in games that support co-op.
Anyone suggestions?

Any and all genres will be considered.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You might want to try RTS games they are great for small groups like yours.
A few examples
Warhammer 40k
AOE III
Command & conquer

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
2 words:

Starcraft

Damn thats 1 word!

The games that you listed are pretty much it that's current, I play them (not on lan, online), theyre a blast, I can see how battlefield gets boring though with so little people. If any of you like RTS' theyre a blast for LAN.

All this lan talk has gotten me to remember computer class in school, some of us playing quake, alt tabbing when the teacher came by.. I also play quake 3 lan at work with coworkers.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
:lol:

StarCraft and Age of Empires 2 were LAN favorites back in the day. As was Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament (not the new crap, pure old skool goodness).

But school LAN parties go further back to Rise of the Triad. Our teacher was very kind to students who completed the textbook early. He'd install the game for us, and even play it with us when he wasn't busy. I pwned. :D

Edit: Are there any good RPGs for LAN parties?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I also play quake 3 lan at work with coworkers.
where do you work and are they hiring??????? :D

Steel fab shop, I do cad.. on the other side of the planet :p , we play on break, my boss owns us 90% of the time, he beats me at oblivion, I showed him the game.. he gets to lvl 40, i seem to be stuck at 18 lol.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
for new games I'd say..
Supreme commander.
Generals.
Wow(lawl) yeah nm.
War3 (not new)

Ok basically RTS's.
I forget what else I have.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Steel fab shop, I do cad.. on the other side of the planet :p , we play on break, my boss owns us 90% of the time, he beats me at oblivion, I showed him the game.. he gets to lvl 40, i seem to be stuck at 18 lol.

Some guys have all the luck..............
Didn't know that oblivion had a multi player mode.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

Some guys have all the luck..............
Didn't know that oblivion had a multi player mode.

No no multi, I wish.. there is a crappy mod though.. havent tried. He just owns me.. at that :twisted:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
lol,

BANLIST
BANLIST
BANLIST
BANLIST

I played Dota 3 times... footies > dota. End of discussion :twisted:

I don't like WC3, too much "stuff", I like simple games, SC, C&C, Supreme Commander.. etc.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Its a warcraft 3 map, each player selects a hero, and sends it against other heroes, and you have some npc's helping you out, its really repetitve.

At least in footmen frenzy, you get a hero, and massive amounts of units (starcraft equivalent to evolves).

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
You might want to try RTS games they are great for small groups like yours.
A few examples
Warhammer 40k
AOE III
Command & conquer

I'd say miss AoE3 and go for AoE2 instead. Not as pretty, but I preferred it. It's also dirt-cheap now, so picking up 5 copies won't break the bank.

Sports games can be fun as a group. ProEvo6 is awesome if you're a football ("soccer") fan.

Oh, and don't forget Worms. Many an hour was wasted playing Worms Armageddon back when I had a flatmate.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'd say miss AoE3 and go for AoE2 instead. Not as pretty, but I preferred it. It's also dirt-cheap now, so picking up 5 copies won't break the bank.

Seems like I'm not the only who preferred AOE II to part III. Hated how they did the marketplaces. It was really fun in part II.

Oh, and don't forget Worms. Many an hour was wasted playing Worms Armageddon back when I had a flatmate.

How the hell did I forget that 8O ??????? I still play worms on my pocketPC

WhiskeyRuss

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Get warcraft 3 and play the dota mods/maps. They are extremely fun.

Company of heroes is also great and some of the Worms games can be really fun in short bursts.

WhiskeyRuss

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
did you ever try dota? i dont like warcraft3 either but i play the crap outta dota. Its kinda like one of those rpg maps but theres about 40 characters u can choose from. The point it to take out towers and eventually the enemy base, there are respawning badguys and all kinds of powerups and weapons and armors you can get. try googling it if it sounds up your alley at all. Very fun with multiplayer on hamachi.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sounds original...
If I get to reinstalling wc III (I have a wc iii crazy friend who visits sometimes with his laptop) I will definitely try it.