SiS 648 - Hyperthreading Capable?

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I have just read Intel's plan with Hyperthreading and I was wondering if anyone knows if SIS' new chipset is going to be able to support Hyperhtreading for P4s - if not what chipset is? Thanks ahead of time. Peace.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I dunno about the SiS, but read my thread in the CPU section.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
its not the SiS that will enable hyperthreading, its the chip itself ... (well, at least from how i understand it). hyperthreading should be released when the 3.06 Ghz chips and above. Sis648 will only support CPUs as long as they support socket 478, .13 process, and has 533FSB..... i think intel will do that as far as 2.8 ...then when the 3.06 comes out, it changes, which means mobo has to change .... so another words ... the SiS648 chipset wont support it... but really, its not the chipset that has to support it, rather the chip itself that has to support it ...

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I was under the impression, however, that the mobo has to be able to take advantage of this function, redardless of the CPU's capability. As well, has it been decided the 3.06 will be changing socket? Seems unwise to me since Prescott will have to change anyways - that's 2 new sockets in less than 3-6 months. Might alienate I think - I am hoping they release 3 GHZ for the 478 as I am going to get the 2.26 533 and was hoping for some good growth in that socket.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, me too. Hopefully, Intel doesn't pull another Socket 423... :tongue:

JaeSun: Seems like the BIOS/chipset has to support the HT also for it to work. The article bisically said, that all 533MHz P4s will have the ability to have their HT enabled through BIOS updates.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
well, its not really the chipset...its a special bios to enable it ... as far as i know, i think the socket will have to be changed...if i recall correctly, reading at anandtech.com, the reason they have to change socket is the heat dissipation .... i think the current limit is like 75 something, but the new chips will be at 85 .... (i know its not Celsius or Faherenheit) ...

chuck, if you go to the link i put in your CPU thread, then i think you would see why i think its just the BIOS .... i just dont think its a chipset feature .... more of a BIOS feature since P4s have them, just disabled .... so if you enable them with a special BIOS (as anandtech says), then it would work, but yet anandtech says it degrades your performance? so if so, then the chipset would have to support it, or its not the chipset that has to support it, but rather the BIOS/chip that has to support it ... (if that made sense) ....

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
It made sense to me - for whatever that is worth ;) As for the heat dissipation and the need for a new socket, I am not sure, to be honest, I just think it would be an unwise move since the Northwood is 3 GHZ capable to not try to make it work, since as I have said the Prescott is due 2Q 2003 - seems like a lot of issues would arise for Intel if they went with 2 new sockets in 2Qs - least of which would be the retail end of things and the fact that they alienated a lot of people with the Williamette/Northy fiasco. As well, why threaten the advantage they have over AMD - public perception wise @ least with repeating history. Just my 2c.

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
well, as for the advantage, the northwood widened the gap between AMD and the intel .... and also made it capable of finally taking the lead back from AMD .....

as for the prescott, the prescott with .09 process will allow it to reach 4ghz ... it might even be named Pentium5, since its almost a big change and standard from the pentium4 ..... i wouldnt be suprised if they had a different socket change, as i would expect...i mean, from pentium 1 - 2 - 3, at every Ghz/pentium change, there was a new socket change...they prob messed alot of things up with the northwood and williamette, but hey, 533FSB is better for the change ....imo

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I can see where you are coming from completely, I just think from a marketing perspective it could do more harm than good.

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
yea, it made things pretty confusing .. and made it a pain for those who got willy and couldnt upgrade any further w/o buying new mobo ....

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
And I guess that is my concern at the moment - I want to get into the 2.26 b/c of the northy room to grow with the 478, and I am hoping I can stick with the same mobo all the way up to 3 GHZ.

Fionavar

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Thanks JaeSun - I know the 478 will be good up to 2.8, which I cannot complain with, since every rig upgrade up until now has always required a mobo upgrade wheres as the cpu option are pretty good right now - just expect that since the northy can go to 3 GHZ, Intel will somehow prove you wrong and give me one more CPU to gro into :D