/troll

Er... I downloaded the demo. It seems okay but my mind isn't made up
yet. How many of you are playing Sacred? It seems like a game I
might tire of more quickly than D2, but I dunno...

Actually I am reinstalling Diablo II at the moment. Figured I had so
many mods going in and out of the directory that no telling what all I
had messed up, so I just reinstalled everything.

Since I have to start over if I make a ladder character, I am thinking
I should make as easy a character to play as possible. For those of
you that have played more 1.10 than I have (most of you probably),
what other than Skelemancers are extremely easy to play without uber
equipment?

--
weretable and the undead chairs

"weretable and the undead chairs" <happy@nightmare.time> wrote in message
> /troll
>
> Er... I downloaded the demo. It seems okay but my mind isn't made up
> yet. How many of you are playing Sacred? It seems like a game I
> might tire of more quickly than D2, but I dunno...
>
> Actually I am reinstalling Diablo II at the moment. Figured I had so
> many mods going in and out of the directory that no telling what all I
> had messed up, so I just reinstalled everything.
>
> Since I have to start over if I make a ladder character, I am thinking
> I should make as easy a character to play as possible. For those of
> you that have played more 1.10 than I have (most of you probably),
> what other than Skelemancers are extremely easy to play without uber
> equipment?

Fireball Sorcs
Blizzard Sorcs Erm, if you don't mind partying in hell to help with
the immunes, that is.
Trapper
Kicksins are fun, I wouldn't say extremely easy though
LF Zon
Hammerdin
Probably more, but I'm tired :)

short

I also tried the demo and liked it, so I bought it. Played it once for
several hours, and then didn't go back... :-/

I think it is a little tooo busy (1 million NPCs with 2 million things to
say) and the world is so back you better get used to the horse. :)

"weretable and the undead chairs" <happy@nightmare.time> wrote in message
> /troll
>
> Er... I downloaded the demo. It seems okay but my mind isn't made up
> yet. How many of you are playing Sacred? It seems like a game I
> might tire of more quickly than D2, but I dunno...
>
> Actually I am reinstalling Diablo II at the moment. Figured I had so
> many mods going in and out of the directory that no telling what all I
> had messed up, so I just reinstalled everything.
>
> Since I have to start over if I make a ladder character, I am thinking
> I should make as easy a character to play as possible. For those of
> you that have played more 1.10 than I have (most of you probably),
> what other than Skelemancers are extremely easy to play without uber
> equipment?
>
> --
> weretable and the undead chairs

"weretable and the undead chairs" <happy@nightmare.time> wrote in message
> /troll
>
> Er... I downloaded the demo. It seems okay but my mind isn't made up
> yet. How many of you are playing Sacred? It seems like a game I
> might tire of more quickly than D2, but I dunno...
>
> Actually I am reinstalling Diablo II at the moment. Figured I had so
> many mods going in and out of the directory that no telling what all I
> had messed up, so I just reinstalled everything.
>
> Since I have to start over if I make a ladder character, I am thinking
> I should make as easy a character to play as possible. For those of
> you that have played more 1.10 than I have (most of you probably),
> what other than Skelemancers are extremely easy to play without uber
> equipment?

i won't say hammerdin. piss boring in my mind but somebody probably said it
before i responded. matter i won't say anything since i'm not playing realms
atm.
> --
> weretable and the undead chairs

weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time> wrote:

> /troll
>
> Er... I downloaded the demo. It seems okay but my mind isn't made up
> yet. How many of you are playing Sacred? It seems like a game I
> might tire of more quickly than D2, but I dunno...

Part of the problem with Sacred is that it feels a lot like Diablo but
it isn't like it in many ways which sets up certain expectations and
causes D2 players to bring ineffective impules into their gameplay.
Those expectations will ruin the game for you unless you play long
enough to set them aside.

You may tire of it faster than D2. I'm sure that few games can live up
to D2/LoD. That being said, if you stick with it long enough to
understand how to play, you may find yourself enjoying it. If you want
something which is D2, Jr. or a substitute for D3, you're going to be
disappointed. Diablo is an incredibly good game. Sacred is simply a good
game.

If you're interested in pursuing Sacred, here's some info./advice:

First of all, abandon your notions of character building based on D2. In
Diablo, higher skills are always better since most of your power is tied
up in boosting your skills. In Sacred, this is not always (or even
often) the case. There are 3 elements which mix fairly significantly
(skills/attributes/combat arts). The equivalent to skill points in
Diablo are combat arts (which are increased in power by runes). The
initial impulse of a D2 player is to boost combat arts as high as
possible. This is a serious mistake and not necessary in building an
effective character (and is sometimes counterproductive).

In Sacred, the game designers have set up a situation where the player
has to balance increased combat art levels against regeneration of that
skill (that's equivalent to having enough mana to cast a spell or not).
You can override that to a certain extent using combos (which allow you
to cast a sequence of spells or attacks with one click) but, on the
whole, you need to use attribute and skill points carefully to get a
good build.

A word about combos, incidentally, they seem fairly useless until you
realize that one of the best ways to use them is to stack 4 of your best
attack into one combo. This allows you to rapidly use the same attack
type without worrying about regeneration (and you can refill the combo
with a potion to repeat it). Even in tough situations, you usually don't
need to initiate a combo of 4 of the same attack more than 3x. The game
is very good in maximizing combo effectiveness by autotargeting nearby
targets once those closeby have been killed.

The other thing about Sacred is that the map can be annoying at first
because you have to navigate around a lot of obstacles and there's no
town portal skill. There are combat jump and phasing skills (equivalent
to leap and teleport) which will allow you to get around some obstacles
but there are limits on their use. The annoyance level of the map
diminishes a lot after you move to future difficulty levels as your map
is perpetual for any particular character (and you will memorize the map
eventually and know the most effective routes). That is, once you
explore an area in the lowest difficulty level (Bronze), that area is
uncovered in all future difficulty levels for that character. Also, once
you find and tag a portal (which is like a waypoint) in a difficulty
level, it will be tagged in subsequent difficulty levels. Navigation
becomes much easier...and, you can always use a horse to move faster
around larger areas.

What I found useful when I first started playing was to find a map on
the internet which told me where to look for the portals (since they're
not always easy to find unless you try and clear every bit of the map).
I think the designers set things up to encourage exploration of the game
world which was a good thing but sometimes it can be irritating,
especially if you're used to running around big squares of terrain in
Diablo which don't really present you with obstacles to get around. One
thing that also helps is to stick to roads on the map when travelling
between towns.

If you are careful to tag every portal (portals are like waypoints) in
Bronze, you will find things are much easier in Silver (and other
levels) in terms of getting around. I've got a Battle Mage (SP) who has
found navigation pretty easy in Silver after getting all the portals in
Bronze.

Someone has mentioned all the quests but the thing is that you don't
have to do any of but the main quests (which are shown by a yellow book
on the map). All other quests are optional. You also don't have to talk
to most of the NPCs if you don't want to. On the mini-map, all
unimportant NPCs are shown as blue dots. All NPCs with main or secondary
quests are shown as white dots. NPCs with tertiary quests are light blue
dots (they only show up after you do a certain number of secondary
quests). So, it's not all that hard to ignore the unimportant ones and
focus on the important ones if you hold down the tab key and look at the
dots.

There are a lot of things about Sacred which I like better than D2 (and
some things I don't like as much). For instance, in D2, the most
effective way to get better gear is to wear mf gear and farm areas. This
is tedious and rewards persistance over better play. The way to get
better gear in Sacred is to not die. You get a survival bonus which
increases the chance of special items falling. You are rewarded for
being better at the game.

Also, the stash in Sacred is huge compared to D2. I've been able to save
not only every set piece for my class of character but every set piece
that has fallen period (so I can give them to future characters if I
want). Also, since characters play to a much higher level (250 or
something), sets have better long term utility. Also, set piece defense
numbers scale with difficulty level. That is, a given set item may have
a defense of 100 in Bronze and may be found later in Silver with a
defense of 250. It's not like low level sets in Diablo where you
eventually have to abandon them because the defense numbers on them
aren't good enough. You can replace the same set item with a new one
with better defense. Sets also do not seem too hard to complete if you
have a decent survival bonus. I've completed two for my battle mage.

Just like in D2, there are uniques, rares, sets, socketed items, and
plain items. Socketing items is far more powerful in Sacred though since
you can socket rings and amulets with fairly meaningful attributes into
items. Socketing in D2 can be very good but in Sacred, it seems better.
Also, life leeching gear seems to work in magic attacks in Sacred (or at
least it appears that way for me when I wear "hit draws life from
opponent" gear).

The things I don't like as much are the obstacles in the terrain which
force you to go around too many long stretches of terrain and the
infrequent portals. The game needs at least twice as many portals
(waypoints) IMO, particularly since they don't have a teleport skill
with the flexibility of what you have in D2. This is a bigger issue when
you're unfamiliar with the map and later matters far less though.

Also, unless you do the secondary quests and make areas "at peace",
monster regeneration can be annoying for some players as they will
respawn constantly and at or near your level. The method of regeneration
is both a blessing and a curse. It allows you to milk areas for exp. by
respawning the creatures as long as you want (and since they respawn
near your level, there's no diminishing returns). You can respawn them
instantly by going into a cave and coming back out again. On the other
hand, if you're struggling in an area and haven't had the time or chance
to put the area "at peace" and reduce the spawning and creature level,
you can feel it's tedious battling things constantly. However, I find
the spawning much less of a problem now as I did when the game was first
released and there was no way to control spawning (the "at peace"
concept was introduced with the "Sacred Plus" patch).

Anyway, you may not care enough to continue to play. I took the time to
say this because there was a transition I had to make to enjoy the game
and I think it's good to get your money's worth out of anything you buy
so I'm trying to be helpful. I've found that resources on playing Sacred
are scarce or confusing at best and there's very little that helps a
Diablo player understand the difference from the perspective of having
been a Diablo player.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the game, mind you, but rather
help those who have already bought it. It's still buggy and that can be
annoying. I've had the game reboot my computer a few times (only in
multiplayer though) and sometimes had some quests which refused to be
completed even though I did the necessary tasks. Also, I did have a cow
follow me around for a fair bit of the Bronze level but I liked that.
;-) And it's not for everyone. No game is.

Shari

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:47:55 +0900, orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid)
wrote:

>Also, I did have a cow
>follow me around for a fair bit of the Bronze level but I liked that.
>;-) And it's not for everyone. No game is.
>
>Shari

You finally managed to ditch Bossy? ;-)

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:47:55 +0900, orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid)
> wrote:
>
> >Also, I did have a cow
> >follow me around for a fair bit of the Bronze level but I liked that.
> >;-) And it's not for everyone. No game is.
> >
> >Shari
>
> You finally managed to ditch Bossy? ;-)

She just disappeared. I was sad to see her go.

Not to worry though, I also got to rescue several chickens so that
barnyard feel did recur. ;-)

Shari

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Orchid <orchid@somewhere.net> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> tasks. Also, I did have a cow follow me around for a fair bit of

Crikey! Some people have all the luck.

I don't have the 'plus' add-on (I haven't actually played for about 6
months), but when I got to higher levels, the lower level monsters just
used to die (of fright?) when I went near them. Too bad I didn't get exp
for them :)

--
Doc

orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:

>The other thing about Sacred is that the map can be annoying at first
>because you have to navigate around a lot of obstacles and there's no
>town portal skill.

Yeah, I noticed just in the demo that you can find big rivers or gulfs
that you can only cross at one point and a lot of obstacles on the
terrain like trees that must be navigated around. The scenery is
definately better than in D2 though.

The skill system in the game seems a little complicated but I doubt it
will be any worse than D2 once a person gets used to it. I'll
probably pick it up later since I thought the demo was interesting
enough that if nothing else I can enjoy playing through it in each
difficulty.

>I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the game, mind you, but rather
>help those who have already bought it. It's still buggy and that can be
>annoying. I've had the game reboot my computer a few times (only in
>multiplayer though) and sometimes had some quests which refused to be
>completed even though I did the necessary tasks. Also, I did have a cow
>follow me around for a fair bit of the Bronze level but I liked that.
>;-) And it's not for everyone. No game is.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the game. It was interesting.
And I noticed a child following me around in the demo, several
children were taunting my character in town but when I left the town
only one of them followed me. I expected her to go away, but she kept
following me. Eventually I turned around and tried to talk to her and
then she told me to get away or her dad would fix me up. And ran back
into town. Strange npcs in this game.

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

> Orchid <orchid@somewhere.net> stared blankly into space for a short
> while before writing:
> > tasks. Also, I did have a cow follow me around for a fair bit of
>
> Crikey! Some people have all the luck.
>
> I don't have the 'plus' add-on (I haven't actually played for about 6
> months), but when I got to higher levels, the lower level monsters just
> used to die (of fright?) when I went near them. Too bad I didn't get exp
> for them :)

You must have been wearing one of those items that made creatures of a
certain level "die on sight".

I've never tried it but my sister tells me that "farming" the low level
creatures (those with a grey aura which tend to spawn in areas "at
peace" and won't attack you unless you attack them first) is a good way
to get runes. I haven't tried it because I'm too lazy to backtrack and I
find I get enough runes by and large anyway.

Shari

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:45:02 +0900, orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:

>Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Orchid <orchid@somewhere.net> stared blankly into space for a short
>> while before writing:
>> > tasks. Also, I did have a cow follow me around for a fair bit of
>>
>> Crikey! Some people have all the luck.
>>
>> I don't have the 'plus' add-on (I haven't actually played for about 6
>> months), but when I got to higher levels, the lower level monsters just
>> used to die (of fright?) when I went near them. Too bad I didn't get exp
>> for them :)
>
>You must have been wearing one of those items that made creatures of a
>certain level "die on sight".
>
>I've never tried it but my sister tells me that "farming" the low level
>creatures (those with a grey aura which tend to spawn in areas "at
>peace" and won't attack you unless you attack them first) is a good way
>to get runes. I haven't tried it because I'm too lazy to backtrack and I
>find I get enough runes by and large anyway.
>
>Shari

It's also a good way to build up your SB, it takes a while but it does increase it.
Just find a large group and stand around them, if one notices you and attacks, kill them and move on
to the next group. rinse and repeat.

SteelLord_GM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud member of Guild Medieval
http://www.guildmedieval.com
steellord_gm@yahoo.com
ICQ# 24735418
(remove the safety to reply)

Orchid wrote:
> You may tire of it faster than D2. I'm sure that few games can live
up
> to D2/LoD. That being said, if you stick with it long enough to
> understand how to play, you may find yourself enjoying it. If you
want
> something which is D2, Jr. or a substitute for D3, you're going to be
> disappointed. Diablo is an incredibly good game. Sacred is simply a
good
> game.

I just started playing this yesterday and so far, it's pretty good. It
does lack some of the polish that D2:LoD has, even though Sacred is a
much newer game and uses more recent technology.

> If you are careful to tag every portal (portals are like waypoints)
in
> Bronze, you will find things are much easier in Silver (and other
> levels) in terms of getting around. I've got a Battle Mage (SP) who
has
> found navigation pretty easy in Silver after getting all the portals
in
> Bronze.

What do you mean by tagging portals? Are the portals the large, shining
circles that warp you to another location? If so, they seem to only
take me to one destination.

> Also, the stash in Sacred is huge compared to D2. I've been able to
save
> not only every set piece for my class of character but every set
piece
> that has fallen period (so I can give them to future characters if I
> want). Also, since characters play to a much higher level (250 or
> something), sets have better long term utility. Also, set piece
defense
> numbers scale with difficulty level. That is, a given set item may
have
> a defense of 100 in Bronze and may be found later in Silver with a
> defense of 250. It's not like low level sets in Diablo where you
> eventually have to abandon them because the defense numbers on them
> aren't good enough. You can replace the same set item with a new one
> with better defense. Sets also do not seem too hard to complete if
you
> have a decent survival bonus. I've completed two for my battle mage.

I'm only playing single player. Is it possible for me to trade my class
specific drops to my other single player characters?

> The things I don't like as much are the obstacles in the terrain
which
> force you to go around too many long stretches of terrain

This annoys me too. The game lets me walk right through NPCs, but an
inconveniently located tuft of grass can detour me several screens.
Same thing with water.

weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time> wrote:

> orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:
>
> >The other thing about Sacred is that the map can be annoying at first
> >because you have to navigate around a lot of obstacles and there's no
> >town portal skill.
>
> Yeah, I noticed just in the demo that you can find big rivers or gulfs
> that you can only cross at one point and a lot of obstacles on the
> terrain like trees that must be navigated around. The scenery is
> definately better than in D2 though.

It's a little less confusing after you explore a bit because sometimes
there are paths through long mountain ranges and such. I didn't find
these on my first romp through bronze but did find them in Silver when I
was more thorough.

It also helps that the main map (the one that pops up when one presses
"M") allows you to click on it and see an area more closely (after
you've explored it initially). You can retrace your former route through
an area at any time this way.

Still, they went a little overboard in forcing exploration. I guess they
wanted people to have a reason to want speed increase on items and to
use horses although, unless you invest in the riding skill, the horses
you can get croak at the drop of a hat...or at least mine seem to.

> The skill system in the game seems a little complicated but I doubt it
> will be any worse than D2 once a person gets used to it. I'll
> probably pick it up later since I thought the demo was interesting
> enough that if nothing else I can enjoy playing through it in each
> difficulty.

The skill system does seem confusing at first but I'm sure that's
because those of us who play Diablo have a certain mindset about how
things work. The power of your charcter in Sacred is tied up much more
in the equivalent of your stat/character points (in Diablo) than in your
combat skills.

> >I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy the game, mind you, but rather
> >help those who have already bought it. It's still buggy and that can be
> >annoying. I've had the game reboot my computer a few times (only in
> >multiplayer though) and sometimes had some quests which refused to be
> >completed even though I did the necessary tasks. Also, I did have a cow
> >follow me around for a fair bit of the Bronze level but I liked that.
> >;-) And it's not for everyone. No game is.
>
> Thanks for posting your thoughts on the game. It was interesting.
> And I noticed a child following me around in the demo, several
> children were taunting my character in town but when I left the town
> only one of them followed me. I expected her to go away, but she kept
> following me. Eventually I turned around and tried to talk to her and
> then she told me to get away or her dad would fix me up. And ran back
> into town. Strange npcs in this game.

Yeah, the NPCs are a bit odd but they actually behave toward you in a
fashion which is more realistic to the roleplay. That is, they speak
differently to you as complete quests and develop a reputation as
someone who can help them and be trusted.

Shari

SteelLord_GM <steellord_gm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:45:02 +0900, orchid@somewhere.net (Orchid) wrote:
>
> >Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Orchid <orchid@somewhere.net> stared blankly into space for a short
> >> while before writing:
> >>
> >> Crikey! Some people have all the luck.
> >>
> >> I don't have the 'plus' add-on (I haven't actually played for about 6
> >> months), but when I got to higher levels, the lower level monsters just
> >> used to die (of fright?) when I went near them. Too bad I didn't get exp
> >> for them :)
> >
> >You must have been wearing one of those items that made creatures of a
> >certain level "die on sight".
> >
> >I've never tried it but my sister tells me that "farming" the low level
> >creatures (those with a grey aura which tend to spawn in areas "at
> >peace" and won't attack you unless you attack them first) is a good way
> >to get runes. I haven't tried it because I'm too lazy to backtrack and I
> >find I get enough runes by and large anyway.
>
> It's also a good way to build up your SB, it takes a while but it does
> increase it. Just find a large group and stand around them, if one notices
> you and attacks, kill them and move on to the next group. rinse and
> repeat.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. My SB seems to be stuck
at 81% right now so perhaps I should consider giving this a go.

Shari

<bm3719@ark.ship.edu> wrote:

> Orchid wrote:
>
> I just started playing this yesterday and so far, it's pretty good. It
> does lack some of the polish that D2:LoD has, even though Sacred is a
> much newer game and uses more recent technology.
>
> > If you are careful to tag every portal (portals are like waypoints)
> in
> > Bronze, you will find things are much easier in Silver (and other
> > levels) in terms of getting around. I've got a Battle Mage (SP) who
> has
> > found navigation pretty easy in Silver after getting all the portals
> in
> > Bronze.
>
> What do you mean by tagging portals? Are the portals the large, shining
> circles that warp you to another location? If so, they seem to only
> take me to one destination.

There are two kinds of portals. One type is a tether between two
specific destinations. These type are activated already or activated by
portal runes (which you won't see for quite some time). The second type
of portal is like a waypoint in Diablo which links you between various
areas on the map (the first one is in Bellevue in the northern area
somewhat northeast of a portal of the first type, ironically). The ones
you need to be sure to tag are the portals which act as wps. You can
tell the difference because a list of names of places will pop up when
you tag the wp type of portal.

> > Also, the stash in Sacred is huge compared to D2. I've been able to
> save
> > not only every set piece for my class of character but every set
> piece
> > that has fallen period (so I can give them to future characters if I
> > want). Also, since characters play to a much higher level (250 or
> > something), sets have better long term utility. Also, set piece
> defense
> > numbers scale with difficulty level. That is, a given set item may
> have
> > a defense of 100 in Bronze and may be found later in Silver with a
> > defense of 250. It's not like low level sets in Diablo where you
> > eventually have to abandon them because the defense numbers on them
> > aren't good enough. You can replace the same set item with a new one
> > with better defense. Sets also do not seem too hard to complete if
> you
> > have a decent survival bonus. I've completed two for my battle mage.
>
> I'm only playing single player. Is it possible for me to trade my class
> specific drops to my other single player characters?

It is if you have a second computer and are connectef via ethernet. You
can do this with one disc (host on your first computer, start the game,
eject the disc, start the game with the disc in the second machine). If
you don't have two machines, I don't think there's a way to move things
between characters.

> > The things I don't like as much are the obstacles in the terrain
> which
> > force you to go around too many long stretches of terrain
>
> This annoys me too. The game lets me walk right through NPCs, but an
> inconveniently located tuft of grass can detour me several screens.
> Same thing with water.

Yeah, it is annoying but it'll get easier. Once you get combat jump or
phase for a character, you can jump or teleport over the water (at
least).

Shari

On 11 Jan 2005 08:35:35 -0800, bm3719@ark.ship.edu wrote:

>I'm only playing single player. Is it possible for me to trade my class
>specific drops to my other single player characters?

Well as far as I know there are no muling programs like atma for Sacred yet. So the only way I know
of to mule is to export you characters and then you can enter open servers and have a friend hold
them while you switch characters ala D2, or if you have two computers you can do like I have done
and make a muling installation and trade between them using the lan network, this still requires
exporting of the SP character to the network though. I hope I explained that okay.
The thing that really burns me about Sacred is that you can only have one account per cd-key on
either of the open or closed servers.

SteelLord_GM