Rebuilt System problem

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Here are the specs on the system I am rebuilding. Please review and hope you can provide suggestions. It will not start the POST.
Asus P4B533-VM (jumpers set to BIOS controlled CPU settings)
P4 2.26GHz
Crucial 512MB DDR 64X72 ECC PC2100 C2.5
Coolermaster Case ATC201-SX
Enermax 350W(P4) EG365AX-VE
First generation Guillemot 3D Prophet GeForce 32MB(Voltage?)
SoundBlaster Live Value
Creative DVD with Dxr 3 Decoder card
HP 8200 CD RW
(2) Western digital Harddrives
Toshiba Floppy

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
If you didn't already get the SB Live, get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules Game Theater XP. The TBSC is only $59 at NewEgg.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
yes, build computer and start with BAREBONES, just very basics of what you need to turn the computer on. add on everything else one at a time later after its running ... try that first, then get back to us ...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, I responded in the other thread. The origianl GF was a 3.3V card, therefore not working in that mobo. Hopefully it didn't damage the mobo!! :eek:

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 08/17/02 00:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No it wasn't, only the Hercules and a couple other cards were. 1.5v AGP is part of the AGP4x spec that only a couple companies ignored for only a few cards. Oh, but his card IS one of those.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
What is the voltage on the Guillemot 3D Prophet GeForce 32MB card? The motherboard is designed to not work if a card other than one with proper specs is used, and there is a red light that should come on and warn of an incorrect voltage. This light is not coming on. I was originally concerned with the registered ECC memory I got. What do you folks think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know an article written by a sight like this found the Prophet II with the MX was not compliant, I assume previous versions from the same company are likely to have the same problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Tried with the 512MB DDR ECC memory, the GeForce 1? card(removed the sound card and the DVD card) and it still doesn't want to go to POST. I tried checking all of the jumpers and connections. The board came default with jumper free mode for CPU freq. selection in BIOS. I am going to try to find a compatible video card here locally.

Will

wwilco

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
OK Guys, Need your help.
I bought an Xtasy GeForce4 TI4200 and installed it in place of the old video card. It still will not start a POST that I can tell. I have built about 15 units in the past year and have never had this problem before.

Any ideas???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, there's always the most likely causes, either an extra mounting post grounding the board or a drive cable on backwards.

Forgetful_Prof

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I'd try booting with mobo out of case, resting on a non-conductive surface. Try w/o video card or any drives in; If POSTs OK, try reinstalling mobo in case and booting; if doesn't POST, you've got a grounding problem. At that point, you can try removing all mounting stakes, and reinsert only those you definitely need. You can also take electrical tape and tape up the posts, but that can be a pain.

By the way, what does the PC do when you switch it on--any beeps, does the case fan spin up? cpu fan?

Good luck!