Shuttle SiS648

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I recently saw the specs for the new Shuttle SiS648 mainboard on THG, and I fell in love. I've been periodically searching the shuttle website for the board, and just recently it appeared as model#AS45GT/R, but to my dismay, I can't find the board anywhere.
Does anyone know if this board has been released yet, and if so, where can I find it? If not, when will it be released and are the specs shown on the site the final specs? (*specs on site are shown in PDF, unlike the rest of the products, and at the top of each page it states "draft".)

Truth0r

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
It's coming out at the end of this month supposedly. I'm not sure how the whole 400mhz ddr ram thing is coming along though. :/ From what I've read it's not 100% set in stone or something like that. It better come standard with DDR400. If not hopefully it will be easily oc'ed to that speed. I'm not sure if the specs are final or not. (make sure you do a search...I found someon1 giving this info in an earlier thread. :) )

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
here's the deal....

im just like you...totally love that board, prob gonna get it, unless the Sis648DX gets released, which i read somewhere that it will within a couple months ... that is supposed to officially support DDR400 (i dont know how, as JEDEC hasnt even approved DDR400 specs yet, unless they know something we dont?).

if you go to www.spacewalker.com, that is the shuttles website also (kinda like the gateway of shuttle). wait, actually, go to google, and put this for a search: "www.spacewalker.com products" that should bring up results for products under the www.spacewalker.com website. from there, you should have a page with SiS648 board. im pretty sure its set in stone that its gonna come with. i just wish it came with integrated LAN. it says in the specs that it has "integrated LAN MAC" which i dont totally understand what that is. i think its just saying that it supports it, but they just didnt put it on there.

so far, abit and asus and shuttle have SiS648 boards. if i remember right, its the Abit that is already for sale, but not in stock at www.newegg.com . but im waiting for the SiS648, unless SiS648DX comes out soon.

hope this helps

Joeyz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
I am also very interested in the 648. I spoke with someone in sales from Soyo last week and was told that the 648 was pulled from production. He said he wasn't sure why, but they were waiting for the 648dx. Maybe the ddr400 is the reason. This would explain why I can't find ANY boards with this chipset. Shuttle and Soyo were supposed to be released months ago, but are nowhere to be found. Asus also has one with all the features we want, but is nowhere to be found either. I'll wait for the Asus. I read it has the best bios motherboard control out there. I too hate to wait, but it looks looks I have no choice. Hope this helps...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
IIRC, a low of companies aren't making the SiS648 boards cause the SiS648DX is supposed to be released in September, which is really close to the August release for the SiS648. The SiS648DX has some more features, so many mobo makers don't want to make 2 models so close to each other, with not that much difference. May opted to wait for SiS648DX and get the few extra features.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Anymore word on the release of this board? According to shuttle it was done in July, but I have yet to see it for sale anywhere. Does anyone know if they're truly waiting for the DX before they release anything resembling this board at all?

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
hasnt been released from my knowledge ... dunno why, it seems things are stalling lately with releases, being that most of the attention seem to be with the video card and cpu market right now ...

pstate

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
When you go to the THG website, there is an ASUS add for their PS8X (or something like that) mobo which seems to be using the SiS648. Also the ASUS site makes mention of it too. Finally I did see an online store advertising it as "coming soon". What does a 'DX' get you in the SiS world? The only thing that seems to separate the SiS645 versus SiS645DX is the FSB (or am I total wrong on that)?

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
DX is just another version ... the SiS648DX is supposed to have more features, and officially support DDR400 ....

abit, asus, shuttle have them...abit has one for sale at www.newegg.com but its out of stock ....

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yes, Asus and Abit have boards containing the SiS648 chipset. You can go to pricewatch, and type "SIS 648" in the search window and u'll get them.
The Abit is watered down and I'm not interested in that one. The Asus contains the same features as the Shuttle, but I don't see any mention of overclocking features when speaking of the bios features, as shuttle does.
Therefore, I'm going to wait a little longer and see what transpires with the shuttle. Don't know how long I'm going to wait out though......haha
(Oh, and yes, the DX is suppose to "officially" support DDR400, even though unofficially this board can run it as well. I heard some talk about better onboard audio as well. I'm not sure what more they can add to this board, for as you can see it's packed full of goodies)

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
yea, im in the same boat as you ... im waiting for this to come out to build my computer ... but i might wait for the SiS648DX, SiS 655?, which if i remember right, supposed dual channel DDR .... (i forgot, there is another SiS board, but is the one for RDRam....)

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
In case u guys are interested Giga-byte and EPoX now have their SiS 648 mobos out. The Giga-byte is called the 8SG667 and the EPoX is called the 4SDA5 IIRC. These boards look pretty sweet. So check them out at vr-zone if u guys want to look at them. I couldnt find the gigabyte mobo on the gigabytes website though. EPoX has theirs posted though. At least all the good companies aren't waiting for the 648DX or whatever.

Anywho, here is the link to vr-zone:
<A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com" target="_new">http://www.vr-zone.com</A>

Oh, When is the SiS 655 coming out? October, November? I may get that instead of an 8IHXP.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BigBiggist on 08/29/02 06:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Alright, just in case my patience wears thin, and I am forced to get another mobo....what should I get as a substitute for this board?
I don't even want to think of the posibility, and have no motivation to look for an alternative....LOL
Save me.....give me suggestions please!