torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I am a lvl 69 Ret Paladin currently, and am seeking some advice on a few things. I have no alts, this is my first char, and to this point essentially the only thing I have done in the game is quest and instance with 100% focus on levelling, with the intention to reach endgame raids and instances.

I have been told to obtain a flying mount I must first have an elite charger, so that'll be first on my task list after I hit 70.

After that, I was thinking about if I should try to build up cash towards getting an elite flying mount first, or stick with a regular flying mount. the regular one sounds so slow for flight, I'm not sure it's worth investing in at all. My other problem is that I was lazy off the start and never developed any talents or professions. I chose mining and herbalism early, but never developed them AT ALL.

1. in your opinion, should I save up for the elite flying mount?
2. if so, should I spend the time to build up my mining and herbalism from 0, or maybe switch to skinning and build it up, or should I just stick to questing/instancing to build up money?
3. once I have my mounts worked out, I'm considering respeccing because I hear no guilds like ret pallies for raids. should I switch to primary holy in your opinion?
4. Should I stay Ret for a bit to try and develop some better base gear to prepare for tough raids and instances (via questing), rather than jumping into them asap to get gear once there?

for perspective, I'm only interested in PVP for messing around occasionally, and have very little interest in it, unless there's gear I should really pvp to acquire. I am primarily interested in PVE in instances and raids, and in benefitting my guild as much as possible.

I was lvl 58 when the expansion came out, so I've never had a chance to play any endgame raids and would appreciate any experienced player's opinions (keeping in mind I have the expansion, and access to the new gear). I'm a somewhat casual player in the sense that I'd probably only do a heavy long raid 1 or 2 times a week, so getting the gear from those could take me a while.

thanks for your thoughts!!

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I am a lvl 69 Ret Paladin currently, and am seeking some advice on a few things. I have no alts, this is my first char, and to this point essentially the only thing I have done in the game is quest and instance with 100% focus on levelling, with the intention to reach endgame raids and instances.

I have been told to obtain a flying mount I must first have an elite charger, so that'll be first on my task list after I hit 70.

After that, I was thinking about if I should try to build up cash towards getting an elite flying mount first, or stick with a regular flying mount. the regular one sounds so slow for flight, I'm not sure it's worth investing in at all. My other problem is that I was lazy off the start and never developed any talents or professions. I chose mining and herbalism early, but never developed them AT ALL.

1. in your opinion, should I save up for the elite flying mount?
2. if so, should I spend the time to build up my mining and herbalism from 0, or maybe switch to skinning and build it up, or should I just stick to questing/instancing to build up money?
3. once I have my mounts worked out, I'm considering respeccing because I hear no guilds like ret pallies for raids. should I switch to primary holy in your opinion?
4. Should I stay Ret for a bit to try and develop some better base gear to prepare for tough raids and instances (via questing), rather than jumping into them asap to get gear once there?

for perspective, I'm only interested in PVP for messing around occasionally, and have very little interest in it, unless there's gear I should really pvp to acquire. I am primarily interested in PVE in instances and raids, and in benefitting my guild as much as possible.

I was lvl 58 when the expansion came out, so I've never had a chance to play any endgame raids and would appreciate any experienced player's opinions (keeping in mind I have the expansion, and access to the new gear). I'm a somewhat casual player in the sense that I'd probably only do a heavy long raid 1 or 2 times a week, so getting the gear from those could take me a while.

thanks for your thoughts!!

My first suggestion... NEVER, EVER let anyone you know read this post (esp. opposite gender)... nerd alert! :lol:

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
LOL well, though admittedly there's still a one-sided ratio, there are a lot more women players than there used to be. I have met more than one man and wife who play this game together.

Besides, I'm already married, I'm not out to impress anyone. ;)

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Slightly off topic, but in response to your last comment, and the first coment this thread received... I have a good friend who's been married 5 years, and he and his wife have been playing WoW since its release. I also play and so does my girlfriend (a year and a half now and I've got her fully converted to "gamer").

So as far as "not attracting the ladies" or being a "nerd" for playing... perhaps you just need to meet the right ladies.

Sorry for the off topic ramble, my highest characters in WoW are 18 and 14 >_< I'm not as hard core into the Mmorpg's as most, and well... even less than the thread's author who considers himself "casual"...

Yea, I'm done.

Cstelly

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Though a flying mount with 60% speed is alot slower then a epic mount with 100% you have to think of a few things.

1. Flying Mount lets you avoid getting attacked while on auto fly/walk.
2. You cant get into the Tempest Keep instances in Netherstorm without a mount atm.
3. YOu're a pally, you basically got your mount for free so shush

As far as respeccing goes.... yes respec. Most guilds wont even look at a pally who isnt holy. Imo its pointless to have a ret pally in the raid. At lvl 70 if you can heal quite good you will find yourself in 5 man instances quite often as a healer.

Take this from a person who raided quite a bit for a long long time. You gotta put in time to recieve what you want. Because you seemed to have started late in the games life you wont pick up on things as fast as others so dont expect to get into a end game guild. Build up what you can in 5 mans and eventually Kara. Once you are established you can go on from there.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Though a flying mount with 60% speed is alot slower then a epic mount with 100% you have to think of a few things.

1. Flying Mount lets you avoid getting attacked while on auto fly/walk.
2. You cant get into the Tempest Keep instances in Netherstorm without a mount atm.
3. YOu're a pally, you basically got your mount for free so shush

As far as respeccing goes.... yes respec. Most guilds wont even look at a pally who isnt holy. Imo its pointless to have a ret pally in the raid. At lvl 70 if you can heal quite good you will find yourself in 5 man instances quite often as a healer.

Take this from a person who raided quite a bit for a long long time. You gotta put in time to recieve what you want. Because you seemed to have started late in the games life you wont pick up on things as fast as others so dont expect to get into a end game guild. Build up what you can in 5 mans and eventually Kara. Once you are established you can go on from there.

thanks for the advice. I did decide to respec in the mean time, and also have myself a flying mount now (after having a hell of a time getting a scholo group for my epic charger mount). I did get myself into a raiding guild by knowing a few people in it, but my role for now will just be 5mans and helping develop myself and others to raid ready status (since they did not really need another holy pally).

man is it nice finally finding a good guild. every couple of hours somebody's asking to run/do something I need.