Gigabyte 7VRXP

EdMeister

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I'm interested in buying a Gigabyte 7VRXP motherboard, but heard some bad rumours about it: people told me the board seems to be losing stability after a while. Does anybody know anything about this issue? Let's hope not...

John_Paul

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
As long as you get a rev. 2 board you'll be fine, but the 1.0 and 1.1 had some voltage regulation issues. I have a 2.0 and it's very stable.

John-Paul

AthlonXP1800@1608,Gigabyte GA-7vrxp R2,256MB PC2700,TNT2M64,15GB 7200,2GB 5400,24x10x40CDRW,10x40DVD

jjiimmvv

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Ed...I'm just reassembling a system that has not changed except for the motherboards, type of RAM & of RAID controller I've used in it (one board required a Promise RAID card).

The system uses an XP1900+, 512 megs of PC2700 or PC2100 RAM, a WD 120G JB as storage & two Matrox 40G's in RAID 0, an Audigy MP3 and a Matrox G550 (no games, lots of PhotoShop).

The motherboards are a ECS K7S5a, a Abit KR7A-Raid and the GA-7VRXP.

My initial question to you is do you need RAID, will you want to overclock?

If you don't need either, save yourself some cash and go for the ECS board. It's half the price, more user friendly, a no brainer to get running and *Rock Stable*.

The Abit has a much nicer Bios and very good user manual and web support.

The GA-7VRXP has only been running in my system for a day. It seems more stable then the ABIT (I may have had a defective Abit), *May* be the fastest board (but not by a hell of a lot...please remember, I'm talking about a system that you work with everyday, so I'm going by the way the system responds and not by Sandra or MadOnion). Bad points? The GA-7VRXP has a confusing manual and Bios. More important, GigaByte's Web support *Sucks* (unless you speak Thai)!

Well that should really confuse things. I'll comment some more after living with this board for a few days. Right now all I can think of to say is; thank God this is my backup system!

jim

Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...

EdMeister

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
My board just arrived, and guess what... problems! Although I'm not sure if it's mobo-related. I'm thinking it has anything to do with a poor power supply (Tybotech 300W). When I start my pc, my fans make some noice, the cpu-cooler spins around, but after a few seconds the whole systems just stops. I installed my old power supply (250W) and the system fell out even faster. So, let's hope it's just power-related and not mobo-related!

jjiimmvv

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Oh-Oh...this is a post I made just before I answered you, It's just down the page from this missive. It reads as follows;

GigaByte GA7VRXP...so good it won't stop!

Please forgive me if I'm overlooking something simple as I'm still a rookie...

I just replaced a defective Abit KR&A-Raid board with a GigaByte GA7VRXP. (Interesting comparison between these two boards and my systems original board, a ECS K7S5a but I'll talk about that someother time).

My problem is that all the system fans, that's CPU, Power Supply and Case fans start up the moment that the power supply's power switch (located on the power supply itself) are turned on. The fans, all of which are plugged into the GygaByte board, *Do Not* wait until I power up the operating system via the cases front power switch. Rather they go any the time the mains are on, it makes no difference if an operating system is running or not. Unplugging all the cases front switch's power, hard drive indivator, reset, & speaker make no difference. Plugging the ECS board back into the system corrects the problem.

Can anyone help on this one as GigaByte's web site service *Sucks* (unless you speak Thai!).

You may want to go here for some answers/suggestions...

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46237

My signature sums the whole thing up...

Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...

BrainPr0n

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
I have just set up a new 2.0 7VRXP and I am having problems with power. Unless I set the DDR voltage to 2.7, I can't run my Corsair 512 DDR333 at CL2.0. CL2.5 runs fine at 2.5V. I am trying to decide to RMA or not. Will the 2.7V hurt anything or is it a sign of impending doom?