Wrong Win XP Pro loads on startup

I inadvertently re-loaded Windows XP Pro so that now, whenever I
restart my machine, I have to scroll down to the second reference to
Windows XP Pro to ensure that it loads the one that?s already
registered. How can I:

safely delete the incorrect installation so that by default, without
any input or attention from me, the computer boots to the second
Windows XP Pro?

Is there a change I should make to the following file?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
[operating systems]
signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft
Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
Professional" /fastdetect
5 answers Last reply
More about wrong loads startup

    Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
    Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
    to delete incorrect boot paths.

    If the above does not work for you, then:

    Right-click on MY COMPUTER and select:

    Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

    CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
    Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    In news: edqLfvpZEHA.2488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Carey Frisch [MVP] <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >> I inadvertently re-loaded Windows XP Pro so that now, whenever I
    >> restart my machine, I have to scroll down to the second reference ....
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=30
    >> default=signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
    >> [operating systems]
    >> signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft
    >> Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >> Professional" /fastdetect

    > ...CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
    > Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect

    Hi Carey,

    I'm confused, and I'm not really an OS person but... The OP said he had to
    choose the "second" entry which looks to me like the one with "WINDOWS=" and
    it looks like the extra one is the first entry with "WINDOWS2=". Removing
    the "first" entry would give the result you posted, which is the result I
    would have aimed for.

    cindy.winegarden@mvps.org www.cindywinegarden.com

    You're correct Cindy, the OP needs to remove the WINDOWS2 entry. However, if
    it is an invalid boot path, the "check all boot paths" option Carey
    recommended should offer to remove the invalid first entry (note the
    "signature" portion of the first entry). There should be no reason to need
    to manually edit boot.ini in this case.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Cindy Winegarden" <cindy.winegarden@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > In news: edqLfvpZEHA.2488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
    > >> I inadvertently re-loaded Windows XP Pro so that now, whenever I
    > >> restart my machine, I have to scroll down to the second reference ....
    > >> [boot loader]
    > >> timeout=30
    > >> default=signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
    > >> [operating systems]
    > >> signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft
    > >> Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    > >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > >> Professional" /fastdetect
    >
    > > ...CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file to remove the SECOND entry.
    > > Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:
    > >
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=30
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > > Professional" /fastdetect
    >
    > Hi Carey,
    >
    > I'm confused, and I'm not really an OS person but... The OP said he had to
    > choose the "second" entry which looks to me like the one with "WINDOWS="
    and
    > it looks like the extra one is the first entry with "WINDOWS2=". Removing
    > the "first" entry would give the result you posted, which is the result I
    > would have aimed for.
    >
    > --
    > Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
    > cindy.winegarden@mvps.org www.cindywinegarden.com

    Hello again, folks.

    Sorry to continue bothering ya’ll, but I'm still unsure how to make my
    computer automatically boot to the correct Windows XP Pro installation.
    Following the advice provided, I ran msconfig, but there was no listing
    for boot.ini. Of course I found it at E:\boot.ini, but as Rick warned
    against manually editing the boot.ini file, preferring the “check all
    boot paths,” I don’t want to do anything until I’m certain.

    I don’t know how to “check all boot paths,” and I haven’t been able to
    locate any program that permits checking all boot paths. Windows Help
    and Support didn’t address it and I couldn’t find it in the online KB.
    So, I remain in a quandary.

    Once again, as a refresher, my boot.ini contents are:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
    [operating systems]
    signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Professional" /fast detect

    BTW, I have two Windows directories (folders):

    E:\WINDOWS dated March 22, 2004
    and
    E:\WINDOWS2 dated April 4, 2004.

    I’d like to delete the superfluous one.

    What should I do?

    I know, I know. “E:\” ought to be “C:\.” Heaven knows I’ve tried to
    change that drive designation, which occurred when I had a HD crash and
    took it to my local computer repair shop. When I got it back, C drive
    had become the 250 MB Zip drive and E had become, well, my HD
    designation. I’ve tried to change it back to C using Computer
    Management, but that isn’t working.

    --
    Munchausen
    Munchausen's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=298

    This is a known issue with XP and clean installs. If there is a ZIP drive attached, it will often get the C: drive letter. The only way around this is to reinstall, but disconnect the ZIP disk before doing the installation.

    If you want the Windows installation to be the default, not the Windows2 installation, your BOOT.INI file would look like this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30

    [operating systems]
    signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fast detect

    You can also change the timeout value, to something lower than 30 seconds. If you only want the Windows folder installation to boot, remove the line:

    signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Munchausen" <Munchausen.1a3uba@news.nospam.local> wrote in message news:Munchausen.1a3uba@news.nospam.local...

    > Hello again, folks.
    >
    > Sorry to continue bothering ya’ll, but I'm still unsure how to make my
    > computer automatically boot to the correct Windows XP Pro installation.
    > Following the advice provided, I ran msconfig, but there was no listing
    > for boot.ini. Of course I found it at E:\boot.ini, but as Rick warned
    > against manually editing the boot.ini file, preferring the “check all
    > boot paths,” I don’t want to do anything until I’m certain.
    >
    > I don’t know how to “check all boot paths,” and I haven’t been able to
    > locate any program that permits checking all boot paths. Windows Help
    > and Support didn’t address it and I couldn’t find it in the online KB.
    > So, I remain in a quandary.
    >
    > Once again, as a refresher, my boot.ini contents are:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2
    > [operating systems]
    > signature(d0a0d0a0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS2="Microsoft
    > Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fast detect
    >
    > BTW, I have two Windows directories (folders):
    >
    > E:\WINDOWS dated March 22, 2004
    > and
    > E:\WINDOWS2 dated April 4, 2004.
    >
    > I’d like to delete the superfluous one.
    >
    > What should I do?
    >
    > I know, I know. “E:\” ought to be “C:\.” Heaven knows I’ve tried to
    > change that drive designation, which occurred when I had a HD crash and
    > took it to my local computer repair shop. When I got it back, C drive
    > had become the 250 MB Zip drive and E had become, well, my HD
    > designation. I’ve tried to change it back to C using Computer
    > Management, but that isn’t working.
    >

    > --
    > Munchausen
    > Munchausen's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=298