Windows 7 Anti-Piracy Update Now Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbnsuperman

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
engadget keeps talking about this thing running in the background. I wonder how true that is. I disabled it just because of that rumor and I have a fully legitimate copy of win7 x64.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Microsoft previously pointed out that this update is completely voluntary and users can decline the update when it appears (though we can't imagine why legitimate users would worry).

Oh? You've never seen MS screw over their own customers? I've seen WGA act up on several very legitimate machines.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
The update is listed with all other windows 7 updates, however it is NOT checked by default.

In other words, windows will not download and install this update unless you explicitly tell it to do so.

At least, it showed up this way for me.

G

i downloaded this update and, I can only speak for myself, but lets just say it does not detect 100% of cracked copies of windows 7

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Huh, I thought it already rolled out. What was that update then that caused peoples(including myself) legal copies of Windows 7 to say the key didn't exist? Its fixed now, but it was annoying.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Tomorrow Tom's will publish how the hackers already bypassed this update.May the circle of cracking and patching begin![/citation]
It's not meant to stop tech-savvy pirates, it's meant to protect customers buying OEM PCs from dodgy retailers who install pirated copies with relatively crude cracks. MS is well aware that any anti-piracy system they use can and will be cracked. I don't doubt that this will be updated again in the future.

I run a legit copy and I didn't install this. I see no reason to waste bandwidth on an update that will only confirm what I already know.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]I never understood what that skull is for, has someone died from software piracy?[/citation]

It's the MPAA's new legal strategy- choke a bitch.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I bypassed it completely forever on my new laptop, here is how you can do it.
"Do you want to allow Ubuntu to have the entire drive?"
click on the yes button, problem solved, security and freedom greatly enhanced.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Gigahertz20[/nom]Hide update, done, just don't install it. It will be included in Win 7 SP1 though in which you will have to install it, but no big deal.[/citation]

Haha! Good one...

b0o

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
"It's not meant to stop tech-savvy pirates, it's meant to protect customers buying OEM PCs from dodgy retailers who install pirated copies with relatively crude cracks. MS is well aware that any anti-piracy system they use can and will be cracked. I don't doubt that this will be updated again in the future."

Pretty much. Its to fight mass piracy on unwitting consumers and those who just download pirated copies off torrent sites that likely come with bundled trojans and botnets. Microsoft knows its not worth it to play catch and mouse with the ACTUAL crackers. They had work arounds for this before it was even announced(a certain cracker's loader still works just fine and didn't even need to be updated).

With that said, I won't download this on a illegitimate or legitimate install of windows. It is programmed to "phone home" every 90 days to detect if your copy is still genuine. I don't need extra processes running and connecting to the internet.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The logo gives the impression that Windows is toxic... That can't be a good image. lol

This whole thing is ridiculous.
"It's not meant to stop tech-savvy pirates, it's meant to protect customers buying OEM PCs from dodgy retailers who install pirated copies with relatively crude cracks."

Are these the same customers who are so nieve about browsers that they need a special window to select from and get even more confused while doing so? The same customers who never, ever, ever, ever check and install updates for anything?

If they want protection then they shouldn't be buying their systems from car boot sales or some bloke called 'Del Boy' down the boozer.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
PS. My previouos comment was NOT a reply to 'randomizer', I just quoted that comment as I thought it was a good explanation of Microsoft's stand point and the purpose of this update.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Are these the same customers who are so nieve about browsers that they need a special window to select from and get even more confused while doing so? The same customers who never, ever, ever, ever check and install updates for anything?If they want protection then they shouldn't be buying their systems from car boot sales or some bloke called 'Del Boy' down the boozer.[/citation]

They might not be computer savvy enough to take care of their system properly, but they can probably teach you something about spelling.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
So I make one spelling mistake and miss a single space and that is all you have to say? At least I have a thought of my own and don't just pick holes in other peoples spelling mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.