Next Best RPG

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
hey i'm a big fan of oblivion. I loved the graphics and downloaded a crap load of plugins for it. Eventually however i got sucked back into WOW and quit playing.

Anyways does anyone know of any games that will be coming out that could be a oblivion killer, or at least replace it.

Personally i didn't care for the items in oblivion, it seemed i was always finding weapons with crappy stats. Also that damage ranges were lame too. FF meets oblivion ?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If your looking for depth of characters, story etc your might want to try Neverwint 2 or knights of the old republic I & II (last 2 are based on starwars)

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Well if you like oblivion then the exapnsion pack Shivering Isles is comming out soon! Otherwise I cant think of any good games. Stalker is comming out which is sort of like an RPG

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
End of March.

AFAIK on PC, there kotor, neverwinter 2, dungeon siege 2, titan quest (I found it kinda boring, played demo.), those aren't 1st person, it ain't the same as oblivion.

Mackle

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Knights of the Old Republic, fantastic game. Not played the second Neverwinter Knights game, but loved the first one (and it's add-ons).

If it's FPS you want though, how about going old school and getting Wizardry 8?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The second NWN is really good. This time the single player campaign has a great story. Only I wouldn't recomend that you try it unless you have a powerful system.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Oblivion killer? That's an over-used term. Hardly anything in the future or present, methinks, will truly challenge it so much.

As mentioned, the Shivering Isles expansion is getting closer every day; hard to believe it's been a year since the game came out.

As for other games, you might ENJOY some games like Neverwinter Nights 2. It's not quite in the same vein as Oblivion, but it's still a pretty darn great RPG. And for some people, apparently, it's also an MMORPG. This is thanks to the fact that servers have no real technical limit on players, and numerous people have done loads of admin work on a server, to the point where some are really to the point where'd they'd classify as MMOs.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Oblivion killer? That's an over-used term. Hardly anything in the future or present, methinks, will truly challenge it so much.

It really depends if you like that style of gameplay (lots of freedom but no real depth). If you want freedom and depth check out fallout or Arcanum. Also if you do IMHO morrowind was better.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Yep, NWN 2 is great and in the future it will probably become an awesome mini MMORPG (better than the real MMORPGs) just as NWN did. :)

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Yep, NWN 2 is great and in the future it will probably become an awesome mini MMORPG (better than the real MMORPGs) just as NWN did. :)

You are right but IMO it needs a little time for Obsidian to iron out a few issues.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Gothic 3 is a really good game. It has a few bugs, but is really fun to play. It looks as good as Oblivion (if not slightly better, but no AA)

For its price, I'd say give it a shot.

yuseaname

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Just got STALKER today. Not a big fan of RPG's, bit it is bangin lulz. I like the in-depth interaction with other AI throughout levels and the graphics are stunning. Not saying it is the game of the century, but I personally liked it better than oblivion.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Just got STALKER today. Not a big fan of RPG's, bit it is bangin lulz. I like the in-depth interaction with other AI throughout levels and the graphics are stunning. Not saying it is the game of the century, but I personally liked it better than oblivion.

STALKER is not a RPG, it doesnt even have rpg elements. I was hoping for so much more in stalker, i wanted a system like the one in Dues ex.

all the graphics in it are outdated as well, the npc models look old tech, and the guns have low res textures, the only thing that makes the game look good is the HDR, and you need to turn that off for a decent frame rate. and my rig aint slow.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Dues ex, wow I almost forgot about that game. I really enjoyed Dues ex. :mrgreen:

Recently, I was impressed by some screenshots of a game called The Witcher. I don't know much about the game, but I will definitely be anticipating the game's release. Here is the link to some screenshots: http://www.gamershell.com/pc/the_witcher/screenshots.html

Some of the scenery in the game reminds me of Morrowind and Oblivion. The Witcher seems to offer more combat animations than your average RPG. The gameplay seems less open-ended than the Elder Scroll series; hopefully the missions and combat sequences aren't too repetitive.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
The witcher uses the nwn egine as it's base so I guess it would play in a somewhat similar manner .
Interesting,

As I mentioned in another thread, I think NWN is such a great game because of the online gaming community. The Witcher is a single player game like Oblivion. I hope it does play in a similar fashion to NWN, but only to the extent that the game still has its own unique feel. If the development team can keep the story and the missions fresh and the combat non-redundant, they will have a winning title in their hands.

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
No one likes the action RPGs? They aren't in the same vein as Oblivion or NWN2, but there are items and leveling, etc. I thought Titan Quest was pretty good (even if it was EXACTLY like Diablo II, but with different models.) I've played some of Hellgate: London, and it has some promise. I was very very disappointed when I found out that the new Shadowrun game was a shooter, but soon after I found that out I saw a poster for Fallout 3 so I guess it all evens out. I'd like to see more sci-fi RPGs like Deus Ex, but maybe with a small party.

Anyone remember Syndicate? For some reason, it just popped in my head that we really need a new Syndicate game.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The Witcher is a single player game like Oblivion.

Single player-yes. Like Oblivion- Pleasw :cry: nooooooooooo

I hope it does play in a similar fashion to NWN, but only to the extent that the game still has its own unique feel. If the development team can keep the story and the missions fresh and the combat non-redundant, they will have a winning title in their hands.

It should be a fresh setting since it is not DnD but based on Polish mythology (or was it a polish novel?)

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
The Witcher is a single player game like Oblivion.

Single player-yes. Like Oblivion- Pleasw :cry: nooooooooooo

Haha, next time I'll try not to use such an ominous simile :lol:

It should be a fresh setting since it is not DnD but based on Polish mythology (or was it a polish novel?)

Long as it is not based on a Polish movie, or any movie, I think it has good potential. :)