try this if your having problems with your via

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
i had many problems with my kt266a based system for some time now and fixed seemingly everything with changing the interrupt control from APIC to PIC mode in the bios.

note this will force you to reformat and reload windows as it uses a whole different hardware layer.

my modem now works that never would on this board (was fine on my kt133/kt133a boards) as well as my audigy, my wintv tv tuner and all other 5 pci devices i use.

supposedly the via chipsets dont properly implement apic (extension of irqs beyond the original 16), if yours works great but i have never had good luck with all my pci devices until i changed this.. now im very happy as its always been a high performance system.

good luck and hope someone gains from this experience.

ATI is like a mustang, real slow but with a rocket on it its fast, but you still wouldn't want one!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
mine is a gigabyte 7vtxe (via kt266a chipset) motherboard. seems fine now with my 4 pci devices (wintv go, linksys nic, audigy, 56k 3com internet gaming modem) and my geforce 3.

i wish i wouldve known that would fix my pci device problems, for instance the 56k modem would not work with this motherboard before i did the PIC change.

With some via chipsets (not sure which ones) irq extensioning gets out of hand with via's implementation and devices can get 'lost'.
but their pic mode seems to work fine, and devices function the same under both, it just needs a different hardware layer installed for windows to work this way.

Athlon 1700+, KT266A, 512MB PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
I have a7v333 with lots of different blue screens :( under xp and 2000...
So I need only to change to PIC mode and reinstall windows
Some said to press F5 at the begining and choose standart pc
How did you install windows?

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I don't understand what you mean by pushing f5 but I assume you mean to get into your bios. On my PC its the delete key on bootup.

I just did a full format (not the quick format) from the windows xp cd install.

Athlon 1700+, KT266A, 512MB PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s

kamo

Distinguished
May 3, 2002
ok, got it :)
When the instalation of XP begins you can press F5 to choose what type of computer you have(supporting APIC or not and some other options)

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>

Latest posts