Laptop as wireless bridge?

I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an Ethernet
card (integrated).

It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows ME
computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could connect
a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet access and
share be able to share files?

The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows XP.

One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet card
enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router and I
have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically through
the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.

Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?

-Matthew Domb

Though I'm not clear about the way your cable modem is connected, it looks
like you have it connected to the desktop PC. What you should do instead
is to connect the cable modem with a crossover cord directly to the
router, and setup your router for PPPoE and let it be a DHCP server for
your network. Then you would connect your desktop via straight-through
cable and your laptop will connect wirelessly. This way (after rebooting
both PCs) both your PCs will have IP addresses from the same range, and
you'll be able to share files and internet.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
news-server.austin.rr.com wrote:

> I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an
> Ethernet
> card (integrated).

> It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows
> ME
> computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could
> connect
> a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet
> access and
> share be able to share files?

> The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows
> XP.

> One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet
> card
> enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router
> and I
> have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically
> through
> the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.

> Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?

> -Matthew Domb

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless

The modem is connected to the wan port on the router with a crossover cable.
They already have dynamic ips from the same range. The laptop already con
connect wirelessly, but for some reason I have to disable its built in
Ethernet, otherwise I lose the ability to share files and internet unless I
tell it to automatically configure itself and point it at the router's ip

-Matthew Domb

"Dmitri(Cabling-design.com)" <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote
in message news:jqtPc.181743$%t6.93763@roc.nntpserver.com...
> Though I'm not clear about the way your cable modem is connected, it looks
> like you have it connected to the desktop PC. What you should do instead
> is to connect the cable modem with a crossover cord directly to the
> router, and setup your router for PPPoE and let it be a DHCP server for
> your network. Then you would connect your desktop via straight-through
> cable and your laptop will connect wirelessly. This way (after rebooting
> both PCs) both your PCs will have IP addresses from the same range, and
> you'll be able to share files and internet.
>
> --
> Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
> http://www.cabling-design.com
> Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
> premises cabling users and pros
> http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
> Residential Cabling Guide
> -------------------------------------
> news-server.austin.rr.com wrote:
>

> > I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an
> > Ethernet
> > card (integrated).
>
> > It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows
> > ME
> > computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could
> > connect
> > a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet
> > access and
> > share be able to share files?
>
> > The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows
> > XP.
>
> > One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet
> > card
> > enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router
> > and I
> > have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically
> > through
> > the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.
>
> > Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?
>
> > -Matthew Domb
>

> ##-----------------------------------------------##
> Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive
> http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
> no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.internet.wireless
> ##-----------------------------------------------##

Lac

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

news-server.austin.rr.com wrote:

> I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an Ethernet
> card (integrated).
>
> It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows ME
> computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could connect
> a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet access and
> share be able to share files?
>
> The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows XP.
>
> One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet card
> enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router and I
> have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically through
> the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.
>
> Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?
>
> -Matthew Domb

Check out ZyXEL G-220 USB adapter. It can function as a client or an AP.

http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1085455224&indexcate1=1085450343&indexFlagvalue=1021876859

-L