Laptop as wireless bridge?

I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an Ethernet
card (integrated).

It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows ME
computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could connect
a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet access and
share be able to share files?

The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows XP.

One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet card
enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router and I
have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically through
the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.

Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?

-Matthew Domb
3 answers Last reply
More about laptop wireless bridge

    Though I'm not clear about the way your cable modem is connected, it looks
    like you have it connected to the desktop PC. What you should do instead
    is to connect the cable modem with a crossover cord directly to the
    router, and setup your router for PPPoE and let it be a DHCP server for
    your network. Then you would connect your desktop via straight-through
    cable and your laptop will connect wirelessly. This way (after rebooting
    both PCs) both your PCs will have IP addresses from the same range, and
    you'll be able to share files and internet.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com
    news-server.austin.rr.com wrote:

    > I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an
    > Ethernet
    > card (integrated).

    > It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows
    > ME
    > computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could
    > connect
    > a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet
    > access and
    > share be able to share files?

    > The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows
    > XP.

    > One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet
    > card
    > enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router
    > and I
    > have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically
    > through
    > the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.

    > Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?

    > -Matthew Domb

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless

    The modem is connected to the wan port on the router with a crossover cable.
    They already have dynamic ips from the same range. The laptop already con
    connect wirelessly, but for some reason I have to disable its built in
    Ethernet, otherwise I lose the ability to share files and internet unless I
    tell it to automatically configure itself and point it at the router's ip

    -Matthew Domb

    "Dmitri(Cabling-design.com)" <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote
    in message news:jqtPc.181743$%t6.93763@roc.nntpserver.com...
> [...]
    > ##-----------------------------------------------##

    news-server.austin.rr.com wrote:

    > I have a laptop running windows 98 with a wireless adapter and an Ethernet
    > card (integrated).
    >
    > It connects wirelessly to a wireless router (befw11s4) with one windows ME
    > computer with a cable modem attached to it. Is there a way I could connect
    > a computer to the laptop with a crossover cable and have Internet access and
    > share be able to share files?
    >
    > The computer I want to connect through the laptop is running windows XP.
    >
    > One other thing: for some reason on the laptop with the wired Ethernet card
    > enabled, I can't connect to the computer that is wired to the router and I
    > have to tell internet explorer to configure a proxy automatically through
    > the router, otherwise I lose internet access too.
    >
    > Can it be done? Or should I just buy a wireless card?

    Check out ZyXEL G-220 USB adapter. It can function as a client or an AP.

    http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1085455224&indexcate1=1085450343&indexFlagvalue=1021876859

    -L

Laptops Wireless Computers Wireless Networking