How do I personalise Documents & Settings

I recently bought a laptop from a colleague with win xp
installed. I mangaged to personalise all the settings and
change the user account from his name into mine. However,
in the 'Documents & Settings' folder, the account user
personal forlder still remains in his name when it should
have changed automatically into mine when I changed the
user account into my name. So altough all my personal
settings in the folder such as 'My fovorites' are those
of mine, the name of the folder is still under his name.

How do I change the name of the personal folder account
from his name into mine? I tried right clicking and
choosing rename, but a warning bax pops up and I'm not
sure if its the right way to do it. Thanks
17 answers Last reply
More about personalise documents settings

    Hi,

    You can change the user name, but you cannot change the account folder name.
    This is by design. What you need to do is create a new account in the
    preferred name, then copy the old account information into it. Then, log
    into the new account and remove the old one.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Qal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a laptop from a colleague with win xp
    > installed. I mangaged to personalise all the settings and
    > change the user account from his name into mine. However,
    > in the 'Documents & Settings' folder, the account user
    > personal forlder still remains in his name when it should
    > have changed automatically into mine when I changed the
    > user account into my name. So altough all my personal
    > settings in the folder such as 'My fovorites' are those
    > of mine, the name of the folder is still under his name.
    >
    > How do I change the name of the personal folder account
    > from his name into mine? I tried right clicking and
    > choosing rename, but a warning bax pops up and I'm not
    > sure if its the right way to do it. Thanks

    Hi Rick

    Thanks for your reply. I did creat a new account to copy
    the content of the personal folder in Documents &
    Settings to the new account, but a message box kept on
    appearing telling me that it was windows system folder
    and I couldn't copy it. Is there any way round this?

    Qal

    Qal said in news:29fd001c4672e$3b6f8f60$a601280a@phx.gbl:
    > I recently bought a laptop from a colleague with win xp
    > installed. I mangaged to personalise all the settings and
    > change the user account from his name into mine. However,
    > in the 'Documents & Settings' folder, the account user
    > personal forlder still remains in his name when it should
    > have changed automatically into mine when I changed the
    > user account into my name. So altough all my personal
    > settings in the folder such as 'My fovorites' are those
    > of mine, the name of the folder is still under his name.
    >
    > How do I change the name of the personal folder account
    > from his name into mine? I tried right clicking and
    > choosing rename, but a warning bax pops up and I'm not
    > sure if its the right way to do it. Thanks

    - Create a new account using your desired name.
    - Logon to that account to create the profile path (%userprofile%) for that account (so it exists for you to later copy into it).
    - Log off the new account.
    - Log onto the Administrator account, or some admin-level account *different* than your old and new accounts.
    - Run the System applet in Control Panel.
    - Under the Advanced tab, click on User Profiles.
    - Highlight your old profile.
    - Click the Copy To button.
    - Use the Browse button to select your new account's profile path (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\<newaccountname>"). That's why I had you create this path by logging on under your new profile because this browse dialog does not permit creating new folders.
    - Click the Change button the change the permissions afforded to the copied profile.
    - Click Advanced.
    - Click Find Now.
    - Pick your new account name and click OK. This will select permissions for that new account on the copied profile so your new account can actually use that copied profile (which would otherwise have the permissions from your old account).
    - Click OK to exit the Select Users or Group dialog.
    - Click the OK button back in the Copy To dialog. You'll get a warning that you are about to overwrite an existing profile (which is what you are trying to do).

    After the profile copy, the sizes reported in the User Profiles dialog may not be accurate because it has not been refreshed. Your old profile might occupy 20MB but the new one (before the copy) only was 1MB, and still shows only 1MB after the copy. Click OK to close the User Profiles dialog, return to the System Properties dialog, and then click User Profiles again where you should see the sizes for the 2 profiles (source and destination) are now the same size. Logoff and tryout your new account's profile.

    If you delete the old account in User Accounts, that will not delete the old profile path for it. You just delete the entries in the registry defining that account. You can later manually delete that old profile path or use the Users Profiles dialog to do it, but make sure you have everything you want in the new profile that you copied to or that you made backups.

    I use the above method many times to save a backup of my profiles. Profiles can get corrupted which result in you not being able to login. I created another admin-level account and used the same above procedure to copy my own account's profile (which is also an admin-level account since I will NEVER touch the Administrator account except in a disaster). This give me a backup. If my normal account's profile gets corrupted, I can login under my backup account to get the same desktop and setup. I could even login under Administrator and copy by backup account's profile atop my corrupted normal account's profile to recover it (you must be logged in under a different account than the accounts that use the source and destination profile paths).

    *** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    There is a special copy program. Type copy profile in help.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Qal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b3f601c4676e$4dbad590$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hi Rick
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I did creat a new account to copy
    > the content of the personal folder in Documents &
    > Settings to the new account, but a message box kept on
    > appearing telling me that it was windows system folder
    > and I couldn't copy it. Is there any way round this?
    >
    > Qal

    David
    I followed your advice and went control
    panel_system_advanced_User profile settings, to copy
    profile to new user but the 'copy'button wasn't hilghted
    so I couldn't copy. Any suggestions?
    Qal

    You can't be logged in in the account that you are copying to or from. If you could you'd just rename the folder.

    "Qal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a85e01c46776$81ed9750$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > David
    > I followed your advice and went control
    > panel_system_advanced_User profile settings, to copy
    > profile to new user but the 'copy'button wasn't hilghted
    > so I couldn't copy. Any suggestions?
    > Qal

    David,
    I created a third user account, logged into it and tried
    to copy profile from one of the other two into the one I
    want. I got this error message: 'Failed to set security
    on the destination folder. Access is denied'. what do I
    do next?
    Qal

    Have you logged on in the destination account yet?

    "Qal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a2af01c46782$7d34d3c0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > David,
    > I created a third user account, logged into it and tried
    > to copy profile from one of the other two into the one I
    > want. I got this error message: 'Failed to set security
    > on the destination folder. Access is denied'. what do I
    > do next?
    > Qal

    I have now 3 accounts, the one I want to copy, one I need
    to copy into and the third is just to enable me to access
    the other two in the copy dialog box. which account do I
    need to log into to enable me to copy and make the
    desired change?
    Qal

    Accounts aren't created till you use them. So you have to log on to the account you are copying to once to create it. Then use the third to copy.

    "Qal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b55701c46785$d5d4c960$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > I have now 3 accounts, the one I want to copy, one I need
    > to copy into and the third is just to enable me to access
    > the other two in the copy dialog box. which account do I
    > need to log into to enable me to copy and make the
    > desired change?
    > Qal

    David,
    I'm sorry I tried that, but I'm still getting access
    denied messages. here is the situation. I have 3 accounts
    Q, J, and K. I want to copy Q into either J or K, so I
    can later delete the other two. I logged into all of them
    so accounts have been created in all 3. Can you please
    take me step by step into what to do.
    Qal

    Qal said in news:2a96001c4678c$282ebad0$a501280a@phx.gbl:
    > David,
    > I'm sorry I tried that, but I'm still getting access
    > denied messages. here is the situation. I have 3 accounts
    > Q, J, and K. I want to copy Q into either J or K, so I
    > can later delete the other two. I logged into all of them
    > so accounts have been created in all 3. Can you please
    > take me step by step into what to do.
    > Qal

    See my other post in this thread. You have to assign permissions for the copied profile that are for your new account rather than dragging along the permissions that were already on it for the old account. When you copy the old profile to any new path (on an NTFS partition), the old permissions still exist. Those permissions let your old account access the folder and files under that copied profile, so your new account cannot access them. You need to need to change permissions on the copied profile to allow your new account to access that copied profile (i.e., you need to change permissions).

    *** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Hi Vanguard
    Sorry I didn't see your instructions earlier. I will put
    them into action straight away.
    Qal

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Vanguard,
    I followed your instructions but I now get another error
    message which reads something like this: 'Failed to set
    security on destination profile - error - Access is
    denied'
    Qal

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com said in
    > Vanguard,
    > I followed your instructions but I now get another error
    > message which reads something like this: 'Failed to set
    > security on destination profile - error - Access is
    > denied'

    Have you rebooted and retried?

    Were you logged under either account that was involved? You need to be logged under a wholly separate account. You cannot be logged on under the *from* or *to* accounts. You cannot copy the profile from the currently logged on account because files will be in use, like the ntuser.dat file. You cannot copy a profile to another account that has not yet been logged into because it won't yet be recorded in the registry (nor will the profile path exist and the browse dialog doesn't have an option to create subfolders).

    Was the 3rd account an admin-level account (so you can actually change permissions)? Are you logged onto a domain at the time, or are you logging on under local accounts?

    When does the access denied error occur? During the profile copy? Or when you attempt to login under the new account to which you copied the old profile?

    If the profile copy was successful (and you were getting the access denied message elsewhere), have you tried right-clicking on that destination folder for the new account's profile (while logged on under Administrator or any admin-level account other than that new account) and set permissions to allow FULL control for that new account (including all subfolders and files)? While logged under an admin-level account other than your new one, right-click on the profile folder. Under the Security tab, make sure your new account is actually listed as one of those that has permissions. Then make sure Full Control is enabled when you select the new account in the list. With all your other operations, it is possible you performed an incomplete copy or permissions did not get changed. Your new account needs to have Full Control permissions on its own profile path. If your new account is not listed in the "Group or user names" list in the Security properties for the new account's profile folder, add it. Then make sure it gets Full Control permissions. If the Everyone account is listed, delete it (as you don't want Everyone to have any permissions other than the account itself). The SYSTEM account should be listed with full control. Although you don't need to, you probably should ensure the Administrators group is listed and has full control, too (they can take ownership anytime they want to if you don't list them, anyway). If you get prompted to set permissions on all child folders and files, do so.

    The process that I mentioned is pretty similar to how others describe it, like:

    http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

    However, I can see one possible problem area. The ntuser.dat file that was under the profile for the old account may have SID (security identifier) settings that point to the old account but the SID for the new account won't match (each account gets a different SID). See http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/39192/pg/2/2.html. Item # 6 addresses how you get permissions for your new account's SID. I've not had to do this so maybe the wizard for the Copy To under User Profiles handles this. Pretty much I follow the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305709 except I add the target account (that gets the profile copy) instead of the Everyone account.

    *** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    <snip>

    It sounds like the problem is that Win XP was installed
    in your colleague and not in the computer he sold you.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi Vanguard,

    I'm pleased to report that the folder has successfully
    been copied and I'm writing this note from my copied
    account.

    The troublesome 'Access denied' message reported below,
    was caused by the fact that the third account created
    from which to copy the other two accounts must have
    permission to change, including copying, any system
    floders in the other two accounts. This persmission was
    not set by default but must be manually set, which was
    what I did. After that. everything went exactly as you
    instructed.

    Forgive me for saying your depth of knowledge Vanguard is
    impressive. Many thanks for yours and your coleagues'
    help.

    Regards
    Qal

Microsoft Windows XP