XP speed

July 11, 2004 8:38:13 PM

I have just obtained a used PC containing a new install of XP Professional.
I have previously used Win98.

The hardware spec of the XP PC is approx 3X that of the W98 PC (details
follow) but MSIE6 is noticeably slower. Accessing the same web page takes
40sec and 15sec respectively. Do I have a set-up problem with XP? Or do I
need a faster PC?

PC with Win98:
Pentium166MHz, 80MB RAM, 56Kmodem (connects at 50K6)

PC with XP Pro:
AMD K6-2 500MHz, 256KRAM, 56K modem (connects at 49K2)

TIA
John

More about : speed

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:38:14 PM

There are several problems with IE that make it slow. First of all it checks all remote computers for scheduled tasks. It also limits the number of simultaneous downloads so that pages with many graphics on them will take longer to load. This all can be fixed but requires that you go into the registry. As long as you follow the instructions to the letter the registry isn't the deep dark and forboding place many make it out to be. go>start\run and type in regedt32 and click ok or hit enter on your keyboard. Now follow this route by clicking the +symbol beside the entries in the following order. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Eplorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace Now once you have clicked the + beside namespace you should see two keys under it. Locate and delete the following key by right clicking on it and then click delete. D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF That stops IE from searching for scheduled tasks. Now we'll increase the max number of downloads IE can do. You may have these sub keys already installed but if you don't I will talk you through the creation of the necessary keys. We need to create or modify two keys in two locations. The keys are named identically but the locations are diffferent. The two locations are HKEY_USER\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings
Now don't click the + beside InternetSettings but rather click on the InternetSettings key on the left to open it's subkeys on the right. Now we want to modify or create the two following keys. MaxConnectionsPerServer and MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server If the subkeys exist then right click on the name and then click modify and with a dot in Hexadecimal enter the value 10 and then click ok. Do the same for both of them. If they do not exist then it's simple to create them. Right click a blank area of the right panel and then new\Dword Value and type in the names as I have them. You can even copy and paste them if you find that quicker. Once you have named them then click a blank area again to set them, then right click and modify as I have said. The Hexadecimal will be 10 the decimal will be 16. Then turn around an pat yourself on the back as you have just entered the world of tweaking XP for performance. There are about 50+ such tweaks that you can do without worry to improve the overall speed and stability of XP. Have fun.
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

"John" wrote:

> I have just obtained a used PC containing a new install of XP Professional.
> I have previously used Win98.
>
> The hardware spec of the XP PC is approx 3X that of the W98 PC (details
> follow) but MSIE6 is noticeably slower. Accessing the same web page takes
> 40sec and 15sec respectively. Do I have a set-up problem with XP? Or do I
> need a faster PC?
>
> PC with Win98:
> Pentium166MHz, 80MB RAM, 56Kmodem (connects at 50K6)
>
> PC with XP Pro:
> AMD K6-2 500MHz, 256KRAM, 56K modem (connects at 49K2)
>
> TIA
> John

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:38:14 PM

I should have mentioned an excellent free program to make a bunch of speed changes to XP it's called SpeedXP. Just don't use the "clear pagefile on shutdown" option. You can safely enable all the others. You will notice an improvement in your storage speeds and throughput as well. http://www25.brinkster.com/chirisoft/speedxp.htm
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.
July 11, 2004 8:38:15 PM

The Unknown P said in
> There are several problems with IE that make it slow. First of all it
> checks all remote computers for scheduled tasks. It also limits the
> number of simultaneous downloads so that pages with many graphics on
> them will take longer to load.
<snip>
> go>start\run and type in regedt32 and click

There is no need to run regedt32.exe in Windows XP as it does nothing more than regedit.exe. regedt32's functions got rolled into the regedit.exe program. All that regedt32.exe does is to load regedit.exe. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=141377.

> ok or hit enter on your keyboard. Now follow this route by clicking
> the +symbol beside the entries in the following order.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Eplorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Key is misspelled. There should be an "x" in "Eplorer". Don't know why this poster thinks IE goes polling around all remote computers (as there could be millions of them enabled) for scheduled tasks. Also, the Explorer registry subkey affects Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. This key affects how *Windows* Explorer will poll shared folders.

> Now once you have clicked the + beside namespace you should see two
> keys under it. Locate and delete the following key by right clicking
> on it and then click delete. D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF
> That stops IE from searching for scheduled tasks.

No, that stops *Windows* Explorer (not *Internet* Explorer) from searching for Scheduled Tasks in *shared* folders (and does NOT apply when using Windows Explorer to view web sites). Go read:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41109/41109....
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3400/rh3492.htm
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-02.html

I suppose you could use IE to browse shared folders instead of using Windows Explorer, just like you can use Windows Explorer to browse web sites. It didn't sound like the OP was trying to use IE to browse shared folders on their network but instead using it in the most common scenario of browsing to a web site. Deleting this key (to prevent Windows Explorer from retrieving the Scheduled Tasks from a shared folder) might speed up network browsing if you happened to use IE for that, but it won't change when using HTTP to browse web sites. Also, browsing a shared folder is not the same as browsing a web folder. When you right-click on a folder and go under the Web Sharing tab, you must be running a web server to proffer that path to visitors. File/folder sharing does not require nor use a web server.

> Now we'll increase
> the max number of downloads IE can do. You may have these sub keys
> already installed but if you don't I will talk you through the
<snip>

Might be lot easier to just read Microsoft's own KB article at:

INFO: WinInet Limits Connections Per Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=183110

However, note that the values entered are hexidecimal by default. If you enter a value of 10 (without clicking the radio checkbox for Decimal), you will enter 10 hex which is 16 decimal. Although this may appear to let you have more concurrent connections, that only works on sites that do not limit your connections at their end. Many web sites will limit the total number of concurrent connection from the same IP address. You might configure IE to have 100 decimal concurrent connections but the web site sees your IP address on every connection and could reject any further connections after, say, 4 connections were already established. You can only widen the connection limit on your end, not on their end.

*** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
July 12, 2004 1:58:51 PM

"John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
news:o lQCB11ZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| I have just obtained a used PC containing a new install of XP
Professional.
| I have previously used Win98.
|
| The hardware spec of the XP PC is approx 3X that of the W98 PC (details
| follow) but MSIE6 is noticeably slower. Accessing the same web page takes
| 40sec and 15sec respectively. Do I have a set-up problem with XP? Or do I
| need a faster PC?
|
| PC with Win98:
| Pentium166MHz, 80MB RAM, 56Kmodem (connects at 50K6)
|
| PC with XP Pro:
| AMD K6-2 500MHz, 256KRAM, 56K modem (connects at 49K2)
|
| TIA
| John

The difference in Windows XP's performance between 256MB of RAM and 512MB is
noticeable especially with multimedia applications and on a low end
processor like the 500MHZ.

I even saw a substantial performance boost taking a 2.0GHz. P4M laptop from
256 to 512.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
July 12, 2004 4:07:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Have tried the registry edits and what seemed the relevant SpeedXP options
(e.g. not using NTFS) There seems to be a little improvement, but much of
the slowness compared with the lower spec Win98 system remains.

The slowness is not be purely an Internet Explorer issue. Playing DVD's
produces some break-up on sound, though the picture is tolerable. The
previous owner (with a previous installation of XP) did not have this
problem. Also I mentioned in a separate thread that there is a delay before
modem dialling, but this may be a different problem.

John

"*Vanguard*" <reply-to-newsgroup@do-not-email.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]

INFO: WinInet Limits Connections Per Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=183110

However, note that the values entered are hexidecimal by default. If you
enter a value of 10 (without clicking the radio checkbox for Decimal), you
will enter 10 hex which is 16 decimal. Although this may appear to let you
have more concurrent connections, that only works on sites that do not limit
your connections at their end. Many web sites will limit the total number
of concurrent connection from the same IP address. You might configure IE
to have 100 decimal concurrent connections but the web site sees your IP
address on every connection and could reject any further connections after,
say, 4 connections were already established. You can only widen the
connection limit on your end, not on their end.

*** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
July 12, 2004 6:53:34 PM

John said in news:eXFfCFAaEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Have tried the registry edits and what seemed the relevant SpeedXP
> options (e.g. not using NTFS) There seems to be a little improvement,
> but much of the slowness compared with the lower spec Win98 system
> remains.
>
> The slowness is not be purely an Internet Explorer issue. Playing
> DVD's produces some break-up on sound, though the picture is
> tolerable. The previous owner (with a previous installation of XP)
> did not have this problem. Also I mentioned in a separate thread that
> there is a delay before modem dialling, but this may be a different
> problem.

Use msconfig.exe to disable all startup programs, reboot, and see if the problems continues. Boot into Safe mode to see if the problem persists. If either or both of these result in a speedup, you are loading something that causes the problem. With msconfig, just enable the startup programs one at a time, reboot, and check when the speed problem returns. When it does, it was the prior item you reenabled.

Turn off the file Indexing Service. Not real useful on an single-user desktop. See http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-18.html.

*** Email domain = ".com" AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
July 13, 2004 6:24:03 PM

A reboot with all startup programs disabled and with the file Indexing
Service disabled still didn't solve the problems.
With a DVD playing (and sound track breaking-up) Windows Task Manager shows
100MB of available (free) memory and 95% of CPU time used by PowerDVD task.
So memory looks OK but the 500MHz AMD K6-2 is not keeping up!

Maybe the previous owner used different DVD player software? But as Internet
Explorer is also slow (without a DVD playing) it seems likely that there is
a common explanation.