choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
what is it? Is it any good? Since finishing NWN 2 and waiting for new modules my RPG bug is a little underfed these days. :(

What kind of RPG is it?

TheMuffinMan

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I'm afraid i cant really compare it as i'm fairly new to the RPG genre but it aint in FP like say Might and Magic.

So far i'm liking it, the monsters in it are original and good looking and although it started off slightly confusing it is progressing at a good pace..

Anything else you'd like to know?

pcmaczone

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I tried the trial version but didn't get on with it. It seemed half finished to me, very much like Vanguard, but I must admit I didn't get very far into it before giving up.

TheMuffinMan

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I know what you mean, it does feel somewhat unfinished and doesn't have that appeal that makes me want to come home from work early to play it.

pcmaczone

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
It seems the money men behind these games are pushing them to be released long before they are ready. There are so many MMORPG's out and due out but so far none have....for me at least...come close to World Of Warcraft. Ok I know it has it's detractors and I would agree it's not perfect but I have tried all the major online rpg's and not one of them gave me that "want to play" feeling. In contrast both myself and my wife signed up to WOW from the trial version. We have our own accounts on two PC's and play side by side and we're both at level 51 with our main characters and have a bunch of other characters in different classes at levels 7-23.

Anyway, won't go on about WOW as this thread is about Silverfall. The main thing that put me off straight away was the user interface and the way you move around in the game. Point & Click should have been done away with years ago! To be fair though, Silverfall isn't the only game hanging onto it. Last Chaos and Lineage are two others I can think of.

Also the graphics didn't quite cut it for me. Although the graphics in WOW have often been described as cartoon like, still the whole thing melds together well enough to immerse you in the game. In Silverfall it feels like the characters have been pasted "over" the background scenery and what's with the black outline around your character? In the options it says you can turn it off but why is it there in the first place? Anyway...I could never turn it off.

It's a shame. There are some good idea's out there but they never seem to make it past the advertising hype just lately :(