Delay before Dialling

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Before my XP Pro system dials an internet connection there is a delay of
about 15 seconds before the modem can be heard.

I have previously come across this problem with Win98 and know how to solve
it (go to
Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
and remove all protocols except TCP/IP) However I haven't been able to find
how to fix this in XP.

Can anyone help please

John

If you want to do similar to 98 and make sure you only
have TCP/IP then >>>>
Control Panel --- network and internet connections ---
network connections --- 'highlight' the connection you
want to view --- (on the left panel under network tasks)
click on 'change settings of the connection' --- click on
'networking' tab above --- from there you can delete, add,
whatever.

Bob M.

"John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Before my XP Pro system dials an internet connection there is a delay of
> about 15 seconds before the modem can be heard.
>
> I have previously come across this problem with Win98 and know how to
solve
> it (go to
> Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
> and remove all protocols except TCP/IP) However I haven't been able to
find
> how to fix this in XP.
>
> Can anyone help please
>
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for the reply

My Control Panel is not identical to your description. It does not have "---
network and internet connections ---" so I used: Control Panel -- Network
Connections -- right click on the dial up connection -- Properties --
Networking. There I uninstalled: Client for MS Networks and File and Printer
Sharing, to leave only TCP/IP. However the pre-modem 20sec delay remains.

Any ideas please

John

"Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> If you want to do similar to 98 and make sure you only
> have TCP/IP then >>>>
> Control Panel --- network and internet connections ---
> network connections --- 'highlight' the connection you
> want to view --- (on the left panel under network tasks)
> click on 'change settings of the connection' --- click on
> 'networking' tab above --- from there you can delete, add,
> whatever.
>
> Bob M.
>

> "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > Before my XP Pro system dials an internet connection there is a delay of
> > about 15 seconds before the modem can be heard.
> >
> > I have previously come across this problem with Win98 and know how to
> solve
> > it (go to

Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
> > and remove all protocols except TCP/IP) However I haven't been able to
> find
> > how to fix this in XP.
> >
> > Can anyone help please
> >
> > John

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Did you reboot and try?
> Thanks for the reply
>
> My Control Panel is not identical to your description. It does not have "---
> network and internet connections ---" so I used: Control Panel -- Network
> Connections -- right click on the dial up connection -- Properties --
> Networking. There I uninstalled: Client for MS Networks and File and Printer
> Sharing, to leave only TCP/IP. However the pre-modem 20sec delay remains.
>
> Any ideas please
>
> John
>
> "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> > If you want to do similar to 98 and make sure you only
> > have TCP/IP then >>>>
> > Control Panel --- network and internet connections ---
> > network connections --- 'highlight' the connection you
> > want to view --- (on the left panel under network tasks)
> > click on 'change settings of the connection' --- click on
> > 'networking' tab above --- from there you can delete, add,
> > whatever.
> >
> > Bob M.
> >

> > "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > > Before my XP Pro system dials an internet connection there is a delay of
> > > about 15 seconds before the modem can be heard.
> > >
> > > I have previously come across this problem with Win98 and know how to
> > solve
> > > it (go to
> > >
> Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
> > > and remove all protocols except TCP/IP) However I haven't been able to
> > find
> > > how to fix this in XP.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help please
> > >
> > > John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Yes, still the same after reboot.
John
"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Did you reboot and try?
> "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply
> >
> > My Control Panel is not identical to your description. It does not have
"---
> > network and internet connections ---" so I used: Control Panel --
Network
> > Connections -- right click on the dial up connection -- Properties --
> > Networking. There I uninstalled: Client for MS Networks and File and
Printer
> > Sharing, to leave only TCP/IP. However the pre-modem 20sec delay
remains.

> > Any ideas please
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > If you want to do similar to 98 and make sure you only
> > > have TCP/IP then >>>>
> > > Control Panel --- network and internet connections ---
> > > network connections --- 'highlight' the connection you
> > > want to view --- (on the left panel under network tasks)
> > > click on 'change settings of the connection' --- click on
> > > 'networking' tab above --- from there you can delete, add,
> > > whatever.
> > >
> > > Bob M.
> > >

> > > "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message

> > > solve

Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
> > > find

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Just a gut feeling. It may be loading the dial up program and is short on
space so is using the virtual memory area (disc).
How much memory do you have? Try blocking a few programs from loading when you
boot up and test that.
Click start---run---type in msconfig and click ok. In the start up prevent a
couple from booting.
> Yes, still the same after reboot.
> John
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > Did you reboot and try?
> > "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the reply
> > >
> > > My Control Panel is not identical to your description. It does not have
> "---
> > > network and internet connections ---" so I used: Control Panel --
> Network
> > > Connections -- right click on the dial up connection -- Properties --
> > > Networking. There I uninstalled: Client for MS Networks and File and
> Printer
> > > Sharing, to leave only TCP/IP. However the pre-modem 20sec delay
> remains.
> > >
> > > Any ideas please
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message

> delay of

> Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that and with all start-ups disabled
there was 100MB out of 256MB free and the delay problem was still present.

> Just a gut feeling. It may be loading the dial up program and is short on
> space so is using the virtual memory area (disc).
> How much memory do you have? Try blocking a few programs from loading when
you
> boot up and test that.
> Click start---run---type in msconfig and click ok. In the start up prevent
> couple from booting.
> "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, still the same after reboot.
> > John
> > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > > Did you reboot and try?
> > > "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message

> > "---
> > Network
Properties --
> > Printer
> > remains.

> > delay of

Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Is your modem configured to wait for dial tone before dialing? Also you may
want to open 'task manager' before dialing to see if you can get a clue there.
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that and with all start-ups disabled
> there was 100MB out of 256MB free and the delay problem was still present.
>
> John
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > Just a gut feeling. It may be loading the dial up program and is short on
> > space so is using the virtual memory area (disc).
> > How much memory do you have? Try blocking a few programs from loading when
> you
> > boot up and test that.
> > Click start---run---type in msconfig and click ok. In the start up prevent
> > couple from booting.
> > "John" <john.sparks1@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > > Yes, still the same after reboot.
> > > John
> > > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message

> have
> > > "---
> > > Network
> Properties --
> > > Printer
> > > remains.

> > > delay of

> how
> > > > > > >

> Control_Panel/Internet_Options/Connections/Settings/Properties/Server_Type
> able

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Tried changing "wait for dial tone before dialling". No effect on delay.

The modem log file extract below shows where the delay occurs:

07-14-2004 22:57:40.680 - Modem type: Conexant HCF V.92 56K Speakerphone PCI
Modem
07-14-2004 22:57:40.680 - Modem inf path: oem2.inf
07-14-2004 22:57:40.680 - Modem inf section: Modem
07-14-2004 22:57:40.680 - Matching hardware ID:
pci\ven_14f1&dev_1085&subsys_108514f1
07-14-2004 22:57:59.037 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
07-14-2004 22:57:59.037 - Initializing modem.
07-14-2004 22:57:59.057 - Send: AT<cr>

Task Manager lists 2 copies of SVCHOST.EXE with Username SYSTEM. One of
which has a high CPU use during the delay.

Does this help?