Sign in with
Your question

DELL MOBO

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2002 6:02:36 PM

hey does anyone know what board and chipset DELL uses? i have a 2001 dimension desktop w/ a p4 1.4 ghz chip. i was wondering if its upgradable to a faster chip. also, does anyone know what speed and brand their rdram is? i wanna upgrade that too. i have 256......im looking for 128-256 more........thanks!

oh and yeah, i know someone is gonna tell me to call dell and find out, but those people are tards for the mostpart and dont know what the hell im asking them. :) 

More about : dell mobo

August 19, 2002 7:15:20 PM

Download <A HREF="http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10018691.html" target="_new">Sissoft Sandra,</A> and run the mainboard information module and see what appears in the manufacturer and model :o )

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
August 19, 2002 8:23:57 PM

I have the same comp as you I think. My socket is 423 (crap...) and I have the 850 chipset. I think you can now get a adapter to use the 478 pin CPUs though.

As for the RAM, Samsung and Kingston are pretty good.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
Related resources
August 19, 2002 8:24:00 PM

Okay this is just a warning for ya, as I have a Dell at home too. Dell motherboards and psu's are modified so that you can't upgrade unless you go back to Dell. This is only for mobos and psus as far as I know. But just in case you feel like you want to forget it =)

As for the ram, go look at the ram itself, they usually have part numbers etc on em.

Beware Dell =)

Cooj
August 19, 2002 10:58:45 PM

yes be careful...dell adds some form of an adapter thingy onto their PSU plugins on their mobo's ... very much of a pain to upgrade ....

August 20, 2002 3:46:34 AM

Plus the thing that looks like an ATX plug is wired differently than ATX.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2002 3:48:01 AM

But those only work with Willy core S478 CPU's, he might as well get a S423 CPU.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 20, 2002 4:35:18 AM

does compaq do that? i have a compaq pos that has a failing psu, i hope i can just get any other psu to replace it.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
August 20, 2002 4:45:41 AM

No I've had a compaq, and a few family members and friends have some. Being that they're compaqs, they need alot of service and once the warranty ran out I was the one to call when they broke. My circle of people now refers to them as crapaq. Anyhow they do not modify components like Dell. The mobos are regular OEM mobo's, simply re-tagged and have a compaq "feature-castrated" BIOS loaded. The PSU and other components are regular re-branded components. The only thing that is prioprietary is the front access USB/gaming/1394 hub, which requires a special adapter to the mobo.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2002 5:02:09 AM

No, just Dell. Dell purposely makes their power supplies look like ATX so that when a generic replacement doesn't work, they can claim it hasn't passed Dell's quality testing (LOL).

August 20, 2002 11:57:20 AM

"Dell Quality"

Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one LOL :lol:  .

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2002 12:02:27 PM

Most of their ATX cased units at least used high quality Intel motherboards. In fact, many Intel brand mobos had solder points for the Dell version as well. Dell BIOS for the Socket 7 had something Intel's own BIOS didn't-a lock to prevent the use of non-Intel processors!

!