Excite Truck vs. MotorStorm

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
PS3 owners are celebrating the arrival of "MotorStorm", but does it live up to the promises? We compare it to the Wii launch title "Excite Truck" to see who reigns the off-road.

lasereth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I don't quite understand why you gave Excite Truck the win in the controls category when you mentioned yourself that the controls get annoying and uncomfortable after 2 hours of play. You even mentioned that mud slinging and offroading felt very smooth in MotorStorm. So why did Excite Truck win this category? It ulimately led to the win overall because of this single category. I've played both games, and if ANYTHING the controls on MotorStorm beat Excite Truck's by a large margin. Innovation doesn't always mean that the experience will be enjoyable (look at Red Steel). Excite Truck could have used controls more like MotorStorm's to tell you the truth.

Well-written article besides this one conundrum.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I actually enjoy playing MotorStorm on the PS3 but after the awhile the limited number of tracks does get repetitive. Would be nice if Sony offer downloadable content for the game just like the Xbox. I have no idea if the game is even designed for it.

Overall the game is very impressive for the PS3. Maybe in MotorStorm II they'll expand the game with more tracks than just 8 and user custom cars. Multiplayer via a local LAN would be a nice plus.

Darkk

sledgehammer70

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2005
PS3 owners are celebrating the arrival of "MotorStorm", but does it live up to the promises? We compare it to the Wii launch title "Excite Truck" to see who reigns the off-road.

I found MotorStorm to romp Excite Truck just about in all aspects, sure it has only 8 tracks, but the fact it has more vehicles and much better graphics and physics’ hands down slaps Wii players in the face.

The real comparison should be crappy looking off road vs. real time off road. I think most people will take real time.

Just my opinion....

The next question is when is Xbox 360 going to get a off road game? such as Excite Truck or MotorStorm?

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
the FPS in the motorstorm demo seemed excessivly laggy, especially right at the start. I wonder if that was fixed for the full game? I thought that the motion control for the PS3 were impossible.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
played the retail version i dont exactly lik racing games, but the motion sensing controls for the ps3 are a lot better from the demo and the game is way more fun then excitetruck, but hey wii sucks in pretty much all aspects so u cant blame ppl for giving it some pity

iR for a controller's mtion sensing......revolution indeed

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I think that the Wii would completely own the competition if they had better games. me friend only has twilight princess and exite truck. Red Steel basically sucked. I do hear that they are trying to release Oblivion for the Wii. thats almost as bad as the idea to bring Oblivion to the PSP!

Parhelion69

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Just as the Top 10 movie fight list, I find this totally biased, used to create some discussion, from now on I'm always gonna read the author's articles, they're so funny!

BTW, mosts critics (game critics, real ones) scored motorstorm higher:

Excite truck
72% on metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/excitetruck?q=excite%20truck

75% on gamerankings
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933000.asp

Motorstorm
82% on metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/motorstorm?q=motorstorm

83% on gamesrankings
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928393.asp

Nuff said....

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
So you guys disagree, that's cool.

I read that MotorStorm has some downloadable content hitting soon, which would be good, but that game just wears thin pretty quickly. Sit and play it with some friends and you'll see what I mean...

Oh wait, you can't because it doesn't have offline multiplayer.

You lose, MotorStorm.

Lushen124

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I think the scores are quite fair, actually.

There are perfectly good points given for both games. By no means is either one a bad game, but both have their highlights and their low points. It's all a matter of personal opinion of which categories carry more weight. I usually like my career modes to be somewhat decent at least, and for being a racing game, there had better be some form of multiplayer. For not having an offline multiplayer mode really bothers me, A LOT. These games are meant to have some kind of 2 player interaction at least, and racing against an anonymous player isn't nearly as satisfying as playing with a buddy next to you. Online multiplayer is a luxury feature, but by no means should it replace the default, same system multiplayer.

Besides, comparing the two is quite difficult, if not for the cat that there are different points each one emphasizes on. So comparing each one in stuff like Vehicle variety (The game is called Excite Truck) isn't much of a point. Obviously, Motorstorm is going to trounce Excite Truck in all aspects of graphics, since Excite Truck clearly sacrifices its graphics for some innovation, which wins it some points in the fun factor. At the end of the day, comparing these two games is like comparing apples to oranges.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I think that spells what most users feel when comparing the Wii, PS3 and x-box 360.

For social gaming go for the wii. For single player and online nothing beats the PC yet.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I think the review was right on regarding online vs. multiplayer modes... I'd much rather the game had split screen mp.

Overall Motorstorm was a very disappointing game... unless you're comparing it to Ridge Racer, in which case it's bloody BRILLIANT! I'm still waiting for a decent PS3 title, I'm sure they'll come... but in today's world of instant gratification I'm getting mighty impatient. My next hope is Lair.

If you REALLY want to see what the PS3 can do in the racing genre... download the GT-HD demo, it's a better game than Motorstorm and it's only ONE track.

TRENDING THREADS