Outlook problems, Norton Internet Security Problems - than..

HELP! I loaded the XP Home upgrade on 10 July (I
previously had Windows 98)- and now my Norton Internet
Security and Antivirus software don't work. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled NIS - and it still doesn't
work.
Question 1 - how can I make it work?
Question 2 - does XP have somne sort of protection
embedded so I can fend off attacks if I log onto the
Internet while I try & fix the Norton problem?

Re Outlook & Outlook Express - I have no messages,
everything's gone. Why? XP warned me that I'd have to
reload Outlook from the Office 2000 Small Business disk,
so I did, but should that also have wiped Express? I did
do a backup before loading XP - can I use it to restore my
e-mails? For some reason, my contacts list does still
exist.

And another thing - why on earth is Microsoft telephone
support so dire? Only open 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday? I
spent 45 minutees on hold to a call centre in India, and
didn't get even a sniff of a technician. Obviously, I have
not been called back as promised...

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
8 answers Last reply
More about outlook problems norton internet security problems than

    What version Norton?
    Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2001 Is Not Compatible with Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286601&Product=winxp
    Visit the Symantec web site, they maybe more helpful
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/
    Microsoft has a firewall you can enable
    Open Network connections, right-click Local Area... properties, Advanced tab, check
    the Internet Connection Firewall
    OLEXP: How to Import and Export Address Books in Outlook Express
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175017&Product=oex
    OLEXP: How to Manually Export and Import Messages in Outlook Express
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257173&Product=oex

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Yvette Rathbone" <yvette.rathbone@mitsubishi-sec-intl.com> wrote in message
    > HELP! I loaded the XP Home upgrade on 10 July (I
    > previously had Windows 98)- and now my Norton Internet
    > Security and Antivirus software don't work. I've
    > uninstalled and reinstalled NIS - and it still doesn't
    > work.
    > Question 1 - how can I make it work?
    > Question 2 - does XP have somne sort of protection
    > embedded so I can fend off attacks if I log onto the
    > Internet while I try & fix the Norton problem?
    >
    > Re Outlook & Outlook Express - I have no messages,
    > everything's gone. Why? XP warned me that I'd have to
    > reload Outlook from the Office 2000 Small Business disk,
    > so I did, but should that also have wiped Express? I did
    > do a backup before loading XP - can I use it to restore my
    > e-mails? For some reason, my contacts list does still
    > exist.
    >
    > And another thing - why on earth is Microsoft telephone
    > support so dire? Only open 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday? I
    > spent 45 minutees on hold to a call centre in India, and
    > didn't get even a sniff of a technician. Obviously, I have
    > not been called back as promised...
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help me.

    Thanks Mary - I have Norton Internet Security 2003, which
    is supposed to be XP compatible, at least with the 32-bit
    version. I imagine that's what I have, since I have the XP
    home upgrade.

    us;257173&Product=oex

    intl.com> wrote in message
    >> HELP! I loaded the XP Home upgrade on 10 July (I
    >> previously had Windows 98)- and now my Norton Internet
    >> Security and Antivirus software don't work. I've
    >> uninstalled and reinstalled NIS - and it still doesn't
    >> work.
    >> Question 1 - how can I make it work?
    >> Question 2 - does XP have somne sort of protection
    >> embedded so I can fend off attacks if I log onto the
    >> Internet while I try & fix the Norton problem?
    >>
    >> Re Outlook & Outlook Express - I have no messages,
    >> everything's gone. Why? XP warned me that I'd have to
    >> reload Outlook from the Office 2000 Small Business disk,
    >> so I did, but should that also have wiped Express? I did
    >> do a backup before loading XP - can I use it to restore
    my
    >> e-mails? For some reason, my contacts list does still
    >> exist.
    >>
    >> And another thing - why on earth is Microsoft telephone
    >> support so dire? Only open 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday? I
    >> spent 45 minutees on hold to a call centre in India, and
    >> didn't get even a sniff of a technician. Obviously, I
    have
    >> not been called back as promised...
    >>
    >> Thanks to anyone who can help me.
    >

    >.

    You have the 32 bit version, as Home Edition does not come in 64bit, and you would have spent a few thousand more had you had that system.

    Anyway, did you upgrade over 98? Did you also see if your system is compatible with XP, since many hardware and software devices will run under 98 easily, but may be too old for XP.

    "Yvette Rathbone" <yvette.rathbone@mitsubishi-sec-intl.com> wrote in message news:2ae4301c46809$a4093e00$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Thanks Mary - I have Norton Internet Security 2003, which
    > is supposed to be XP compatible, at least with the 32-bit
    > version. I imagine that's what I have, since I have the XP
    > home upgrade.

    Hi Tom, yes I did upgrade over W98 - second edition, I
    think, though I'm not 100% sure of that. I checked
    everything I could check before the upgrade - RAM,
    processor speed etc - and that was all fine; then I read
    all the Upgrade Adviser stuff which was generated after I
    inserted the XP disk - and no mention was made at all
    about Norton. It did tell me about some incompatibility
    issues e.g. that I would need to reinstall Microsoft
    Outlook, and upgrade my DVD decoder. Forgot to mention in
    my earlier post - after I reinstalled NIS I still couldn't
    open it & got the same message about needing to uninstall,
    along with a Visual C++ Runtime error to do with IntroWiz.
    When I tried to re-uninstall, I got a message that only an
    account with supervisor access can uninstall it. I'm the
    only user of the PC, so I don't get that at all.

    Then you will need to log into safe mode, and use the Administrator (supervisor as you say) account to do what you need. Only you know how to do this with your PC. Sometimes when you restart, hitting the delete key a few times will give you this option, or hitting the F8 key will do this. When you get the list of what to choose to log into, choose safe mode.OK. I am guessing you didn't set a password for administrator.

    Then try uninstalling all of what you need. You also may want to check the Symantec wbsite for unistallers they provide also before doing this. I have read issues with others not being able to do what you need. Personally, I wouldn't Symantec (nortons products) except for maybe their backup programs. You can get good firewalls free, and AV programs free or cheaper that are less intrusive than Symantecs products, and do a better job.

    "Yvette Rathbone" <yvette.rathbone@mitsubishi-sec-intl.com> wrote in message news:2a81401c46810$0fbf57a0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hi Tom, yes I did upgrade over W98 - second edition, I
    > think, though I'm not 100% sure of that. I checked
    > everything I could check before the upgrade - RAM,
    > processor speed etc - and that was all fine; then I read
    > all the Upgrade Adviser stuff which was generated after I
    > inserted the XP disk - and no mention was made at all
    > about Norton. It did tell me about some incompatibility
    > issues e.g. that I would need to reinstall Microsoft
    > Outlook, and upgrade my DVD decoder. Forgot to mention in
    > my earlier post - after I reinstalled NIS I still couldn't
    > open it & got the same message about needing to uninstall,
    > along with a Visual C++ Runtime error to do with IntroWiz.
    > When I tried to re-uninstall, I got a message that only an
    > account with supervisor access can uninstall it. I'm the
    > only user of the PC, so I don't get that at all.

    Thanks Tom. Assuming I can actually get rid of Norton,
    what firewall/AV programs would you recommend? I 've read
    some comments (on AVG, I think - one of the freebies,
    anyway) saying that they can be very slow to provide virus
    recognition tools.

    Well, you sound like you take care of how you operate your PC and are careful, that is a big plus right there. Many here swear by AVG, Panda, etc, and there are others. Sygate, Zone Alarm,, Kerio, and Tiny all make good free firewalls, except the newest version of ZA has problems at the moment, but I like that version best. if you get it, get the 4.5.594.000 from here (not the 5.0 flavors, they have minor bugs still):

    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1023_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe

    and save it until you feel like using it.

    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

    You can read about it here browsing around http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp.

    I personally do not use an AV, but that is me, and I would never recommend that to one who may be unsure of themselves, as I am fairly good with PCs. But I do use Trend Micros online scanner, which is free and totally non-invasive, and is an effective virus/trojan remover. Panda has been getting ggod reviews with their free online scanners. If you want one installed AVG is good, Panda, Kapersky also, and cost less then Nortons and is not as intrusive. Nortons tends to want to take of what Windows can do on its own, and removes things ity deems non essential, until it is too late.

    If for some reason you are screwed, you may want to totally reinstall windows, which would be a hassle, and hopefully, you have backed up your essentials, or you still can.

    Yvette Rathbone wrote:
    > HELP! I loaded the XP Home upgrade on 10 July (I
    > previously had Windows 98)- and now my Norton Internet
    > Security and Antivirus software don't work. I've
    > uninstalled and reinstalled NIS - and it still doesn't
    > work.
    > Question 1 - how can I make it work?
    > Question 2 - does XP have somne sort of protection
    > embedded so I can fend off attacks if I log onto the
    > Internet while I try & fix the Norton problem?
    >
    > Re Outlook & Outlook Express - I have no messages,
    > everything's gone. Why? XP warned me that I'd have to
    > reload Outlook from the Office 2000 Small Business disk,
    > so I did, but should that also have wiped Express? I did
    > do a backup before loading XP - can I use it to restore my
    > e-mails? For some reason, my contacts list does still
    > exist.
    >
    > And another thing - why on earth is Microsoft telephone
    > support so dire? Only open 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday? I
    > spent 45 minutees on hold to a call centre in India, and
    > didn't get even a sniff of a technician. Obviously, I have
    > not been called back as promised...
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help me.

    For your OE problem :-

    98 stored the DBX files and Address Book in a Windows\Application Data
    folder.
    XP stores them in the Documents and Settings\<username>\local
    settings\.....
    folder.

    Open Windows Explorer
    Tools | Folder Options
    Select "Show all files"
    uncheck only Hide file extensions fro known file types.
    click apply then ok

    Now, navigate to the Windows\Application Data folder.
    Drill down till you file the Inbox.dbx file.
    Do the Same for the Address Book's wab file.
    Write down these locations.

    From OE:
    File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail
    from an
    OE6 store directory.
    Press OK
    Press Browse and navigate to the folder where the dbx files were found.
    Select it then press OK and finish up the import.

    For the Address Book, File | Import | Address Book
    navigate to the folder where the WAB file was found and import it.

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Norton Internet Security Windows XP