Sign in with
Your question

STALKER

Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2007 6:30:19 PM

I just got this game, thinking that it was going to be the next big first person style game. I played it for about an hour, and think its dissapointing, and I will probably swap it for another game. My reasons for the dissapointment? well it doesnt have that 'feel' you get from Doom 3, half life 2, Fear. By this i mean the way the guns feel and how the bodies react to your bullets or whatever (hope i dont sound like a psycho). I did only play it for about an hour, but from what i saw of the environment, i didnt like it. It reminded me of this game called 'Boiling Point: Road to hell' which came out about 2 years ago, the way you have dogs and bears running around if you stray off the path. Boiling point also had very similar features, like 20 square miles of land and open ended missions.

Edit: gunna give it another chance, as it seems to get ok reviews and some of the screenshots look good. ill give it another day

So, i dont mean to complain. Just thought id share my views of this game, what are your views?

More about : stalker

March 22, 2007 8:51:15 PM

Quote:
I just got this game, thinking that it was going to be the next big first person style game. I played it for about an hour, and think its dissapointing, and I will probably swap it for another game. My reasons for the dissapointment? well it doesnt have that 'feel' you get from Doom 3, half life 2, Fear. By this i mean the way the guns feel and how the bodies react to your bullets or whatever (hope i dont sound like a psycho). I did only play it for about an hour, but from what i saw of the environment, i didnt like it. It reminded me of this game called 'Boiling Point: Road to hell' which came out about 2 years ago, the way you have dogs and bears running around if you stray off the path. Boiling point also had very similar features, like 20 square miles of land and open ended missions.

Edit: gunna give it another chance, as it seems to get ok reviews and some of the screenshots look good. ill give it another day

So, i dont mean to complain. Just thought id share my views of this game, what are your views?

Personally, I'm not that interested. From what I've read, the multiplayer is pretty generic. I've also read problems with open nature (e.g. you kill stuff and you can walk around for a long time without any enemies respawning). The concept of walking back and forth from town without any action seems... zzzzzzzz.

I'll read some more player reviews as they come out.
March 22, 2007 8:52:19 PM

i have to say it doom 3 was garbage!! but you right about how people get shot and dont react to the bullets, that is pretty weak! but i think the enviornment is awesome! thats just me though.

keep playing and maybe you will like it...
have you tried the multiplayer yet? i havnt so i cant have any thought about that.
Related resources
March 22, 2007 10:02:10 PM

i dont think ill really give the multiplayer much chance tbh, but i guess ill try it out. ive looked at quite a few screenshots just now, and it looks pretty good, the indoor bits. so, ill have a good play and report back.

Edit: i just cant get into this game.. after reading reviews it sounds quite good, but it just doesnt entertain me enough and everytime i try and play it just makes me angry for some reason
March 23, 2007 9:39:32 AM

Quote:
everytime i try and play it just makes me angry for some reason

8O :lol: 
March 23, 2007 1:22:58 PM

Quote:
i dont think ill really give the multiplayer much chance tbh, but i guess ill try it out. ive looked at quite a few screenshots just now, and it looks pretty good, the indoor bits. so, ill have a good play and report back.

Edit: i just cant get into this game.. after reading reviews it sounds quite good, but it just doesnt entertain me enough and everytime i try and play it just makes me angry for some reason

Well the storyline sounds a little dumb - IMO

Games are supposed to be stress relievers, return the game ASAP.
March 23, 2007 11:33:59 PM

STALKER's been in development for a long long time and was delayed quite a bit. That usually results in the graphics looking a bit dated and the innovative features being cut from the game. I haven't played the retail version, but I think Rob has it.
March 24, 2007 7:55:16 AM

Sorry. "Rob" is RobWright. He's the other Editor for TwitchGuru. He also posts on here.
March 24, 2007 8:16:42 AM

ooo... ok

thanks for clearing tat up... :wink:
March 24, 2007 12:52:42 PM

its supposed to be ok, i just cant get into it though.
March 24, 2007 1:44:51 PM

Quote:

I got it yesterday and i played it for a few hours. It has a great atmosphere but last night when i played it i had a few beers and everything in the game was kinda blurry :lol: 

Anyways i played it today and it definitely has a lot of potential. It is a different style of shooter than anything else out there today. It is more along the line of HL2 as far as paste goes.

To this comment:
Quote:
I've also read problems with open nature (e.g. you kill stuff and you can walk around for a long time without any enemies respawning). The concept of walking back and forth from town without any action seems... zzzzzzzz.

I would recommend that you try the game before post garbage comments like this. There is a lot of action in the game. Set the difficulty level to to veteran or higher and see if you fall asleep playing this game.

The enemy AI is pretty good it needs a little tweaking but it is definietly much better than a lot of recent games enemy AI. In this game they try to flank you and do all kinds of stuff to take you out. If you run around in the open you will come across all kinds of animals and such and they are running around in hordes so there will be about 10 of them try to kill you at the same time. They usually take a bite out of you than run away. You come across other stalkers that are battling with mutants and if you help them out they will pay you or follow you and help you out when you get into a firefight.

I like the game it is different than any other shooters out.
March 24, 2007 4:50:30 PM

Quote:

I got it yesterday and i played it for a few hours. It has a great atmosphere but last night when i played it i had a few beers and everything in the game was kinda blurry :lol: 

Anyways i played it today and it definitely has a lot of potential. It is a different style of shooter than anything else out there today. It is more along the line of HL2 as far as paste goes.

To this comment:
Quote:
I've also read problems with open nature (e.g. you kill stuff and you can walk around for a long time without any enemies respawning). The concept of walking back and forth from town without any action seems... zzzzzzzz.

I would recommend that you try the game before post garbage comments like this. There is a lot of action in the game. Set the difficulty level to to veteran or higher and see if you fall asleep playing this game.

The enemy AI is pretty good it needs a little tweaking but it is definietly much better than a lot of recent games enemy AI. In this game they try to flank you and do all kinds of stuff to take you out. If you run around in the open you will come across all kinds of animals and such and they are running around in hordes so there will be about 10 of them try to kill you at the same time. They usually take a bite out of you than run away. You come across other stalkers that are battling with mutants and if you help them out they will pay you or follow you and help you out when you get into a firefight.

Amen to that... :) 
March 26, 2007 12:18:57 AM

Does anyone know wtf the story is with the Trader? I've walked all the way back to the bugger, and I can't get in!?! I stand in front of the door and no icon appears so I can press enter and enter!?! Yet my mission says 'return for reward'? Anyone else having this?
March 26, 2007 1:47:11 AM

probably a stupid question but is this an online game ? I don't have the internet on for awhile and was wondering if its stand alone or you need the internet is all.
March 26, 2007 2:11:39 AM

No, you don't need internet.
March 26, 2007 2:30:41 AM

good thanks for that.
March 26, 2007 12:43:12 PM

Does anyone know wtf the story is with the Trader? I've walked all the way back to the bugger, and I can't get in!?! I stand in front of the door and no icon appears so I can press enter and enter!?! Yet my mission says 'return for reward'? Anyone else having this?
March 26, 2007 2:44:57 PM

Quote:

To this comment:
Quote:

Yep, I'll give it a try. FYI - that "garbage" was from a gamespot review. So if you have a beef, send it to them.
March 26, 2007 4:55:07 PM

Quote:

Yep, I'll give it a try. FYI - that "garbage" was from a gamespot review. So if you have a beef, send it to them.

Well gamespot can put up some crappy reviews sometimes that i don't know where the hell they get that from. The game is freakin hard (at least for me) and i definitely don't fall asleep during playing it because there is plenty of action.

As for you
Quote:

Have a look here maybe you'll find what the problem is:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6167656/index.html?om_...;picks;title;1

If not than just try to reinstall the game or something maybe something got screwed. I did not do that mission myself so i am not sure what the problem is. I am still trying to find out how not to die from radiation poisoning. :) 
March 26, 2007 7:09:56 PM

Drink vodka or use an anti-radiation syringe until the orange bar drops back to zero
March 26, 2007 7:23:30 PM

Quote:
Drink vodka or use an anti-radiation syringe until the orange bar drops back to zero

March 27, 2007 12:15:43 AM

Figured out my problem.... I'd accidentally walked backwards into the door and pushed it closed, that's why there was no icon to open it.... bloody stupid game. Got a bit further into the game and I'm actually enjoying it now, as my current machine gun can HIT people!!!!

BTW, F6 and F7 are quicksave and quickload... not in the instruction manual. WTF? Also right-clicking stuff in the inventory screen lets you unload weapons, remove their sights, etc.
March 27, 2007 12:41:20 AM

Quote:
Figured out my problem.... I'd accidentally walked backwards into the door and pushed it closed, that's why there was no icon to open it....

LOL :lol: 

By the way how did you get the machine gun? Did you buy it off the trader or picked it up from a dead people. It seems that all those machine guns i get from the dead people are only have like 2 bullets in them and then i am sitting there without bullets. The only thing i can use extensively is pistols but they are shite because you have to shoot the guy like 15 times before he drops dead and of course they have machine guns against my pistol.
March 27, 2007 2:49:16 PM

New patch is out today. Bad news is that the old saved games are not compatible with the game after patch.

I don't know why developers do that Supreme Commander did the same thing in one of the patches. It pisses me off.
March 27, 2007 3:10:24 PM

I got Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth a month ago and liked it much more than S.T.A.L.K.E.R! I liked both Strugatski's novel Roadside Picnic / Tarkovsky's film Stalker and Lovecraft's novels from Cthulhu mythos / Gordon's film Dagon and I must say that in the gaming industry Bethesda did much better job than GSC. Both games are pretty similar first person shooters, S.T.A.L.K.E.R has more role-playing elements and Call of Cthulhu has more adventure game / detective genre elements, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R's "A-life" system clearly looses to CoC's very elaborate scripted twists and turns.
March 27, 2007 4:10:24 PM

Quote:
New patch is out today. Bad news is that the old saved games are not compatible with the game after patch.

I don't know why developers do that Supreme Commander did the same thing in one of the patches. It pisses me off.

What!!! that is WEAK!!!...
i dont want to have to start all over just for the patch!
March 27, 2007 4:37:14 PM

Quote:

check it here:
http://board.oblivion-lost.de/showthread.php?t=8540
March 27, 2007 8:20:04 PM

have you installed the patch?
well... is it worth starting all over for the patch? does it help the single player alot?
i dont play the multiplayer.. yet...
March 27, 2007 9:29:43 PM

Quote:

check it here:
http://board.oblivion-lost.de/showthread.php?t=8540

wow- hilarious reading about people on the last levee or playing 18hrs+ ... only to start over from scratch. But if you love the game, I guess you want to fully experience it.
March 27, 2007 9:32:39 PM

Yeah i just dont get it it never used to be like that. I don't remeber ever that a patch would screw up your saved games. Now this one is the second game i have that does that. I mean it is still pretty early because the game was just released like a week ago or something but still. Some hardcore fans probably go nuts.

Even if you put in 18 hours the second time around should be much faster because you know where to go and what to do.
March 27, 2007 11:42:37 PM

Quote:
Figured out my problem.... I'd accidentally walked backwards into the door and pushed it closed, that's why there was no icon to open it....

LOL :lol: 

By the way how did you get the machine gun? Did you buy it off the trader or picked it up from a dead people. It seems that all those machine guns i get from the dead people are only have like 2 bullets in them and then i am sitting there without bullets. The only thing i can use extensively is pistols but they are shite because you have to shoot the guy like 15 times before he drops dead and of course they have machine guns against my pistol.

Can't quite remember.... was from one of the missions. I think if you follow the main story line of trying to find out where that guy is you come across some fellas you have to kill who all have machine guns. Our best machine gun so far has come from finding Mole's information in the bandit's underground stash... it's in a cabinet on the wall. The trader at the 'Bar' area sells them as well though if you can't find a decent one...
March 28, 2007 4:15:45 AM

I just started playing it yesterday, and quickly became discouraged because the game would run fine, then WHAM! locks up out of no where. Did a quick search and ended up having to disable dynamic lighting. Apparently there's a bug that causes the game to freeze. Not much of a difference using static lighting, but still annoying.

Maybe the patch will fix it?
March 28, 2007 9:30:16 PM

Thanks that was informative. Sounds like "the fallout" of FPSs. I have heard that it has RPG elements. How are these added to the game? Is it via dialog and choices made or does it mean that the PC has stats that can be increased. (personally prefer the former to the latter)
March 28, 2007 10:39:25 PM

Different missions you can choose, an inventory and traders to buy and sell your stuff.
March 29, 2007 3:23:48 PM

So there are no ingame choices that you can make avoiding combat? (resolving quest through optional means, etc)
March 29, 2007 3:45:04 PM

You can sometimes sneak into places instead of fighting, or kill everyone instead of sneaking in, but you generally have to kill 'em all...... it is an FPS after all :) 
March 29, 2007 3:59:11 PM

:(  I guess that the RPG with FPS type of combat is still some time coming then. Dues EX and Oblivion don't count since I consider an RPG to be a game where you can play a role (i.e. make your own choices based on your morals ) and not one that has stats to be improved.
March 31, 2007 12:27:22 PM

Choknuti, have you tried Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth? It's a really great Adventure/FPS hybrid! What I like most about Call of Cthulhu is how Bethesda Softworks managed to pack so many good elements from different types of games into it. In some parts of the game you don't have a gun and you must sneak around like in Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. The game also contains very exciting chase sequences when you are unarmed and trying to flee from enemies and try to slow them down by moving furniture to block doors or locking the doors. It also has similarities to Call of Duty because in some scenes you're cooperating or assisting other computer controlled characters such as police men, FBI agents, U.S. navy marines and sailors. The game is actually as intense as Call of Duty due to all the scripts and action (even has a level where you shoot enemies from a moving car), but in addition to action elements it also has lots of horror elements. One of the minor things to do in the game is to prevent your character from becoming completely insane. Whenever you encounter or decide to inspect something scary or supernatural, the character starts talking to himself or his vision blurs and his mental state can become even worse than that. First person shooter elements are at least as good as in real first person shooter games. Aiming the gun works the same way as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. There are five weapons in the game: knife, pistol, revolver, double-barrel hunting rifle, military rifle and Thompson machine gun. You can do headshots or shoot an enemy in the leg to make him limp, but enemies can sometimes fracture your legs and arms too with lucky shots (or when you fall down from a high distance) and you also begin to limp. You can find medikits containing bandages for patching gaping wounds, splints for patching fractured limbs, sutures for treating fresh wounds and antidotes for curing poisons. The games has an interesting storyline and reminds of some older private detective adventure games like "Under the Killing Moon". In the beginning of the game the character works as an investigator in the police, but then very soon (in the end of the first level) he experiences something supernatural and ends up in a mental asylum for half a year, later getting normal again and becoming a private detective. A customer gives him a job to investigate a case in a small town called Innsmouth and the actual game begins from there. There's a strong continuity in the game between the levels. All in all, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is clearly one of the best horror games ever made for PC. Usually games with great game-play have crappy graphics, but this one actually looks quite decent (screenshot). In a few caves later in the game it's quite apparent that Bethesda was making Call of Cthulhu at the same time as TES 4: Oblivion.

As for RPG/FPS, the team that made Diablo is making a game called Hellgate: London.
March 31, 2007 8:17:26 PM

Thanks that sounds interesting. A horror FPS if done properly is always great (and I am not a fan of FPS.) Also the Lovecraft setting is an added bonus.

My dream game would be a RPG (real rpg not oblivion :evil:  ) on a FPS combat engine. The setting wouldn't really matter even though I would prefer post nuke or SciFi. Dues Ex was close but too light on the RPG for my tastes.

I really hope the Bethseda delivers with fallout 3. If not I am going to scream on set Cthulhu on them :twisted:
March 31, 2007 10:52:22 PM

WHAT!! The games just come out a week after being in production for as long as Ive been gaming and there are already pathches comming out and numerous problems occuring. stalker really sucks.
April 1, 2007 12:04:59 AM

Quote:
WHAT!! The games just come out a week after being in production for as long as Ive been gaming and there are already pathches comming out and numerous problems occuring. stalker really sucks.

No that does not suck. But since for whatever reason you replied to me i tell you what sucks. The patch disables all your saved games so you have to start the game from the beginning again. Now that suck balls
April 3, 2007 6:13:39 AM

Quote:

hehehehe im glad i waited for the patch before installing it, i figured that would happen.
April 3, 2007 6:50:44 PM

The developers stop working on the release version about a month b4 release. So your 1 week would in reality be 5-6 weeks which is not such a short while. A lot of great games have day 1 patches nowadays.
April 9, 2007 6:54:41 PM

After playing about half way through i gotta say its a pretty good game.

I don't know why everyone says the graphics are outdated, they look pretty good to me. Most of you aren't running it on full settings so its hard to comment. The outdoor enviorments almost remind me of oblivion. The lighting and shadows are really great, especially when thiers lighting at night time, and you briefly see shadows of everything as the sky flashes.

The atmospheres and open world sucks me into Chernobyl which most games can't do to me.

Only problem i have is the games pretty buggy. From slight graphic glitches to scripting problem. Often i return for a mission reward and thiers no one even there. Thats partly due to the game having an open-world interface instead of scripting events.

Overall pretty good game. 8)
April 12, 2007 2:11:08 AM

Its an ok game- got it back in march when it was released. IMO, the graphics seem to be on a level that FarCry was on, maybe slightly better lighting, weather and so on. I play it from time to time for a couple of hours, and have gotten to some underground lab. Roaming parts are boring and ballistics could be a little better (ie head shots don't kill on the first time). However, the idea of being able to either make friends or enemies with other characters is pretty nice. But for being as late as it has, it seems to be OK, just a little dissapointed.
May 7, 2007 9:33:41 AM

Someone said this game takes like 18 hours, but I finished it in about 12 while doing quite a few sidequests. That would be my biggest complain- just the brevity of it, I know that if you do all the sidequests it will take like 25 hours or so but most of them will just be repeats of what you have already done. Other than that, the game is a lot of fun and very impressive in the scope. And the headshots DO kill, even the characters in the exosuit. You just didn't get a headshot, if you put a scope on the Obokan (pretty early in the game) you will have a headshot machine that is also very good at short range (saves a heap of ammo, u will only have to have 1 ammo type which frees up a heap of room for the artifacts and other expensive goodies).

Multyplayer was laggy when I tried it thou, is it fixed now, caz I actually enjoyed it a fair bit?
May 8, 2007 1:10:58 AM

Hey All,

I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a game you really have to emerseyourself into, i found that within that first hour of playing i began to think why did i waste my money on this crap, Until i tweaked the graphics with the nVidia control panel and began to see a whole different world. The graphics's portrayed are those you would expect to see in a post apocalyptic zone. The wind looks awsome as it blows pass your face and the "Anomilies" are facinating. There is abit of a down fall with the AI battle system although they use real life manouvers they seem to use the same ones to often and the rag doll effect is abit out of scope. I did find i could shoot the enemy from a distance with them not even reacting. However the sound effects in the game are absolutly amazings with a surround sound system your heart will be pumping your the entire time.

When your walking through the zone you actually get that adrenaline rush every time you turn the corner or hear a mutant roar in the distance you really never know what to expect in this game. It has the shock effect you first experienced in DOOM and the world you found in Oblivion. ( I know its a big call )

Well with all that said, This game is top of the range it gives you a chance to live your character. Just give it a go, you will not regret it.
May 9, 2007 12:34:48 AM

Didn't experience a shock effect in Doom 3, didn't even get particularly scared, just bored after bout 2 hours.
!