willyqfunt

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
I have an old 233mhz laptop computer and it has been giving me quite a lot of trouble. A while back I was running it and it began to freeze up. I deduced that the problem was the harddrive and ran scandisk. I found that the harddrive had some bad sectors and try to repair them. After this didnt solve the problem I bought a new 10gb hardrive for it. I reinstall windows 98 and it worked for about an hour. Then it froze again. When i restarted it, it said that it couldnt file one of the system files that it needed. I deciced to try to put win2k on it so i reformated and installed it. After about 30 minutes, it froze again. When I restarted it again, it said that it couldnt find an different file that it needed to boot. My best guess what the problem is is the harddrive controller. I dont know this and dont know anyway to fix it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

willy

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What's the make, model, and some configuration information on the laptop? I assume you have had this machine working well prior to this?

Right off the bat, I might suspect bad memory on something like this. Laptops often run quite a bit hotter than desktops, so they put a lot of thermal stress on many components, memory being one...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!