installing GA-8IHXP with Windows XP

fvrufd2u

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2001
Just got the Gigabyte 8IHXP, P4 2.26 CPU, 512 of 1066 RDRAM. Installed the hardware and booted the computer. It gets as far as the Windows XP starup screen then a blue screen appears saying that there is a problem with my hardrive and that I should check for viruses, connections etc... I checked the connections and they are fine. Put my old MB and CPU back in and everything loads fine. Obviously the HD is fine. Do I need to format my HD and start from scratch when I upgrade these components? I've never upgraded my computer so pardon my ignorance.

Dustin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, XP "Locks" your hardware configuration to the licence, any large changes require you to reinstall and re-register.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Yea, when doing anything besides a minor upgrade such as a new CDRW drive or adding RAM you'll need to redo your windows installation. Any major upgrades like mobo and CPU 9 times out of 10 you will need to redo your hard drive so windows can reinstall and "list" your new hardware configuration.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unlike Windows 98 where you could just delete the devices from Device Manager and have Windows detect the new ones. This is what MS calls "progress".

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>