Moving large files from 98 to XP

Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized
by XP?
9 answers Last reply
More about moving large files

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Paul R <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote:
    >Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    >aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    >are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp

    Who said... did you test this yourself?

    The Backup PROGRAM included with Win98 is not compatible with the
    Backup program in WinXp (Micro$oft has a bad habit of breaking
    stuff like that between versions) but a simple file copy SHOULD
    work just fine between computers... as long as you used something
    other than a built-in Windoze application to create the CD

    >My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
    > those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized
    >by XP?

    I have CD-R disks going back to Win3.1 days which read just fine on
    my Win2000 computer at home and my WinXp computer at work... but I
    did not use the Micro$oft Backup program

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    "Paul R" <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    > aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    > are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
    > My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
    > those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized by
    > XP?

    If you close your session using the Adaptec program, your CD should be a
    standard data CD, which then just about any OS can read the data.

    Don't do a backup, just copy your files onto a CD, close the session and
    go... simple as that.

    J.P. Wing

    John Thomas Smith wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Paul R <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    >>aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    >>are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
    >

    > Who said... did you test this yourself?

    Yes, I found that simply taking my R/W from the Win98 pc and inserting
    it into the disc drive of the WInXP would not recognize the disc.

    > The Backup PROGRAM included with Win98 is not compatible with the
    > Backup program in WinXp (Micro$oft has a bad habit of breaking
    > stuff like that between versions) but a simple file copy SHOULD
    > work just fine between computers... as long as you used something
    > other than a built-in Windoze application to create the CD
    >
    > I have CD-R disks going back to Win3.1 days which read just fine on
    > my Win2000 computer at home and my WinXp computer at work... but I
    > did not use the Micro$oft Backup program

    I've not used the MS back-up app that comes with 98 although this 3rd
    party app that I sometimes use, BackUp My PC, looks and acts just like
    the app that comes with 98.

    Maybe the answer is in using CD-Rs and *not* CD-R/Ws for the transfer. I
    use R/Ws for back ups, which I do either as a direct copy of the file
    from my hdd to the R/W -- or -- via the BackUp My PC back-up program,
    using a "file" back up rather than a "media" backup. I just don't know
    if XP will restore from this program. I just don't have acces to an XP
    pc right now to find out if it will read CD-Rs formatted under Adaptec.

    Thanks for the info...

    Disregard the responses posted by the two groping
    ignoramuses who have thus far only muddied the waters. It
    seems like what you are saying is that the backup CDs were
    packet-written, in which case it doesn't make any
    difference what backup software was used (although that
    might turn out to be another problem). You say you used
    "Adaptec" which means, I assume, InCD. In order to read
    the discs with any operating system (the fact that you're
    moving to XP is irrelevant) you'll need to have InCD
    installed.

    That said, once you can read the discs, you'll still need
    the backup software that wrote the files, which may or
    may not be XP-compatible.

    J.P. and Earl wrote:
    > "Paul R" <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    >>aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    >>are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
    >>My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
    >>those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized by
    >>XP?
    >

    > If you close your session using the Adaptec program, your CD should be a
    > standard data CD, which then just about any OS can read the data.
    >
    > Don't do a backup, just copy your files onto a CD, close the session and
    > go... simple as that.
    >
    > J.P. Wing

    Are you referring to CD-R's or CD-R/W's? I've been using R/W's for back
    up due to their re-writable capacity, though the packet writing Adaptec
    uses for R/W's may be the problem in these not being recognized by XP.
    Just wondering, again, since I don't have access right now to an XP
    machine with which to try this out (CD-R's vs. R/W's).

    "Paul R" <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    > aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    > are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
    > My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
    > those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized
    > by XP?

    Roxio now owns the Adaptec software

    What you may need is a UDF Volume Reader, see:

    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecdc/eez000085.jhtml

    While Windows XP is not listed here, if you click on the link and scroll
    down to the UDF Volume Reader Windows 2000/XP is listed.

    Don

    Simple answer here. XP and Adaptec udf formats are slightly different.
    This format is normally used for writing to cdrw media. One replier said to
    install Adaptec, yes if the version you're using is compatible with XP.
    And, an addendum, you have to disable native cd writing in XP.

    Another way, previously noted as well, but not clear. ISO 9660 format is
    what all your software application installation type CDs are written in. It
    can be written on cdr media or cdrw media. This is where a closed session
    is required. XP can read these, unless the PC with the cdrw can't read the
    specific media you chose to write with. These even work with (cringe)
    msdos.

    Wislu Plethora wrote:
    > Disregard the responses posted by the two groping
    > ignoramuses who have thus far only muddied the waters. It
    > seems like what you are saying is that the backup CDs were
    > packet-written, in which case it doesn't make any
    > difference what backup software was used (although that
    > might turn out to be another problem). You say you used
    > "Adaptec" which means, I assume, InCD. In order to read
    > the discs with any operating system (the fact that you're
    > moving to XP is irrelevant) you'll need to have InCD
    > installed.

    Actually, I formatted the R/W with Adaptec's Easy CD Creator (I don't
    have InCD). I assume I can install some XP version of Adaptec and Easy
    CD so I can read the disc under XP?

    > That said, once you can read the discs, you'll still need
    > the backup software that wrote the files, which may or
    > may not be XP-compatible.

    In those cases in which I used my 3rd party back-up app, it is
    compatible with XP and plan to install it.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Simple answer here. XP and Adaptec udf formats are slightly different.
    > This format is normally used for writing to cdrw media. One replier said to
    > install Adaptec, yes if the version you're using is compatible with XP.
    > And, an addendum, you have to disable native cd writing in XP.
    >
    > Another way, previously noted as well, but not clear. ISO 9660 format is
    > what all your software application installation type CDs are written in. It
    > can be written on cdr media or cdrw media. This is where a closed session
    > is required. XP can read these, unless the PC with the cdrw can't read the
    > specific media you chose to write with. These even work with (cringe)
    > msdos.
    > "Paul R" <195prosete@951earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Currently use Win98 but will be migrating to XP later this week. I am
    >>aware that my CD-R/W discs formatted in 98 and used for backing up files
    >>are not recognizable by XP. I use Adaptec and either drag&drop or BackUp
    >>My PC to back up files currently in my 98 pc. What can I do to transfer
    >> those files too large for floppies and on Adaptec discs not recognized
    >>by XP?

    Perhaps the answer is in doing the back-up, or simply copying files,
    from the W98 pc unto a CD-R (not R/W) before attempting to transfer the
    files to the XP system? I gather from your post (and some of the others)
    that people commonly use CD-R's and not R/W's as a way of transferring
    files from 98 to XP.

    I have yet to hear from anyone who has done the transfer or
    back-up/restore to XP using R/W's.

Adaptec Microsoft Windows XP