Oblivion running like crap no matter what resolution

hughheffner96

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I recently got a new computer. amd5000, radeon 1900 xt, with 2 gigs of memory. But when i play oblivion or especially splinter cell double agent (but it's just buggy anyways) it is choppy as hell. Even when I put the resolution from 1280 x 1064 to 800 x 600 the lag doesnt let up. I downloaded every driver as well as the Ati tray tools and catalyst control but STILL its slow. I'm pissed off and stumped. can anybody help me

enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I know that Double Agent will run horribly unless you install AMD's Dual-Core Optimizer. I don't know if Oblivion is the same way, but probably. Have you installed it yet?

randomizer

Champion
How do you define slow, Oblivion often plays in sub 50 and even sub 40fps? And get rid of catalyst control centre, its a bloated piece of crap that even I could write (and I know little about coding). If you got ati tray tools you dont need CCC.

hughheffner96

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I've defragged and tweakguides recommended changing the flip queue setting on tray tools but it still did no difference. I am running windows xp. The thing that I don't understand is why the game will run choppy no matter what graphic setting, whether super low or super high. It seems to be when I encounter more than one enemy (especially creatures). The fps range from 100 to 10 when it is at it's worst, and this is with all graphic settings maxed (like I mentioned before, same results with low settings). I've heard this game has massive memory leaks. As far as Splinter cell, it looks like everybody has bad results with it, 3.0 shader or not.
Thank you everybody for your response.

randomizer

Champion
Well I get 28-40fps usually outside, not with all settings maxed. But I underclock my cpu coz my psu sucks and I get crashes and reboots if I dont. And I only have 1gb RAM. I run at 1280x960 with no AA no AF and no HDR/bloom. As far as I'm concerned, HDR/bloom are a waste of performance in that game as they arent at all realistic. When HDR actually looks somewhat real, I'll enable it.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
A large fps range is usaly caused by the processor. But thier is no way it is causing it to lag. I run oblivion at 1024x768, most settings maxed with aa 4x and get around 25-35 fps, thAts on a p4 3ghz, 1 ggi or ram and a 7600gs. I have no clue why it would lagg like that.

OK, Im wondering if youre saying that youre always maxing the graphics settings? It wont matter what res youre running at with maxxed settings. First thing to do is get rid of the shadows, lower them, if youre not lowering any of the settings youll get lags, unless youre running a GTX with a killer cpu, and thats at no higher than say 12x10 res