Sign in with
Your question

Ram overclocking problem

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2002 3:15:57 PM

I have a gigabyte ga-tvrxp with xp 2100 and 512 pc2700 samsung. I attempted to change the cas latency from 2.5 to 2.0 it rebooted and worked fine for a few minutes but then froze and then next time it froze again, s i set it back to 2.5 and its running fine. Am i reallly losing any performance from having to do this?

burn a pentium, save a whale
August 20, 2002 3:34:42 PM

CAS2 is faster than CAS2.5. What you can try is upping the vdimm to 2.6V then to 2.7V. If the CAS2 works at either, then you're game. You can also try 2.8V, but don't run for extended periods above that. It's not great for the RAM.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 20, 2002 3:39:44 PM

Oh no, by changing to CAS 2 twice and then back to CAS 2.5 you have activated a secret, built in procedure that exists in ALL motherboards.
This will cause your RAM modules to vibrate wildly and after a few minutes they will escape from your computer and run away!

Nor really, but it might be fun to experience.
Anyway, I don´t think you lose that much of performance.
Some people will come in here and argue against me and say that you will lose a lot of performance, but I don´t think so...maybe a few percentage, nothing you will notice anyway.

<font color=blue>*</font color=blue><font color=red>**</font color=red>
<font color=white>***</font color=white>
<font color=red>***</font color=red>
August 20, 2002 3:47:39 PM

Very true, not too much difference, but upping the voltage, you should get it to run at CAS2, giving you that extra 2-3%... :wink:

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
!